Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin or HMV

Options
  • 20-09-2006 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Which of our megastores do you prefer, I used be HMV to the core but the recent 3 for 22 on albums has me in Virgin a lot more, I find HMV better for harder to find stuff however.
    nice lookin babes working in both too:)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Prefer Virgin, HMV's rock, metal and alternative section is pitiful and overpriced. Both are still a bit cack though, tend to prefer buying online or weird little independent stores for music myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I don't shop in either. Too expensive and limited compared to online shops.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Virgin all the way, but both are MASSIVELY over-priced and understocked. Searching for REM albums before, they had about 5 out of the entire back catalogue. Also, they were really fancy DVD ones and cost €25 for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

More room in virgin,more space to walk around,whenever i am in HMV im convinced ill knock cds over.so virgin for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Better space and selection in Virgin, better prices in HMV.
    I buy in HMV much more, but I browse in Virgin. HMV is too just crowded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Virgin mostly because its more enjoyable to wander about their store but I usually don't buy unless there's a sale. HMV is a bit cramped so I usually don't go in there unless I'm looking for something specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Anything within Top 20 - Tesco at €14.95!!! Otherwise, HMV - really helpful and pleasant staff, order something and they get it in really quickly and great sales. But I pop into Golden Discs too, they were around years ago, pre Virgin/HMV days and I'd hate them to go out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

HMV for me, feels more like a record store should?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

HMV all the way. Never buy anything in Virgin. Way too expensive and the place has a bad vibe. Plus there's always little 17 year old rockers with Kurt Cobain t shirts on outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Internet music is the way to go buy the tracks you like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, Virgin put themselves ahead of HMV for me this weekend. They actually had Strapping Young Lad albums in stock (including the one I was looking for), plus they had the 2-disc edition of Night Watch for 13 euro, and V For Vendetta for 11 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Just remembered that HMV had a bunch of the Studio Ghibli stuff a few weeks ago for less than 15euros each. Did Jack bother to actually buy any of it (especially Nausicaa; Valley of the Wind, that she's been raving about for God knows how long)? No. I deserve a smack, I do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

if you just want the music legally and dont care if you have media, there is a sight http://www.musicmp3.ru, which I and a friend have bought from and got exactly what we wanted with no mystery charges on our cards (infact my friends charge didnt go through so he got $20 free effectively, but I wouldnt count on that happening to you :)

They are just a couple pennies per mp3, good quality and a wide selection (although they dont have everything they do let you request specific titles). With proper software you can burn your own CDs if you need them for your car or whatever.

This site operates under the laws of the Russian Federation, and you are importing them to Ireland. I know that its legal to buy from there if you are in America, and since the copyright laws are largely based on the same conventions (ie Berne convention for example) it is likely to be legal in Ireland too. The RIAA has tried to sue and failed, and they have quite a bit of money to toss at stupid lawsuits. I just dont know enough about Irish law to say anything, but since american law is way more stupid (especially tort law) ...

Just a hint for the frugal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

trixter wrote:
    if you just want the music legally and dont care if you have media, there is a sight http://www.musicmp3.ru
    Cool, thanks for that. It might be a good alternative when my credit at allofmp3 runs out, since I hear the credit card companies are no longer accepting transactions from that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

betelgeuse wrote:
    Cool, thanks for that. It might be a good alternative when my credit at allofmp3 runs out, since I hear the credit card companies are no longer accepting transactions from that site.

they are cheaper than allofmp3 too. But allofmp3.com has more selection (I havent had any dealings with them so I didnt want to mention them previously).

Advertisement