Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the wages that bad?????

• 20-09-2006 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if TV3 are payin peanuts or what. Last month I heard Aidan Cooney on Q102 at 10am after his stint on Ireland AM. I mean is TV not a good enough paying job? He on again this afternoon obviously filling in for someone. He also has a Saturday afternoon programme on Q surrounding music and sport. We all like a bit of extra dosh but I thought that the early morning TV would take enough out of you and it would pay enough to keep you sweet.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, well what about the likes of Gerry Ryan and Pat Kenny? They also do both, and get a damn sight more money than Cooney! In fact, they'd probably make more from the radio shows alone, than Cooney would make doing both! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

The big myth that people on radio/tv make big money is complete bollocks! Yes sure you have teh top 1% that are on the big bucks but the rest are on average money. Ok so cooney does TV3 and Q102. Well most of the DJs on air in Dublin also work as mobile/bar/club DJs to make the extra money! Average wage for most of the top jocks would be around the 30k mark with zero loyality or job protection. 2 or 3 bad JNLR books and your out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The big myth that people on radio/tv make big money is complete bollocks! Yes sure you have teh top 1% that are on the big bucks but the rest are on average money. Ok so cooney does TV3 and Q102. Well most of the DJs on air in Dublin also work as mobile/bar/club DJs to make the extra money! Average wage for most of the top jocks would be around the 30k mark with zero loyality or job protection. 2 or 3 bad JNLR books and your out!

30k for spinnin' some choons for 2 hours a day sounds pretty good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

bbability wrote:
    I'm just wondering if TV3 are payin peanuts or what. Last month I heard Aidan Cooney on Q102 at 10am after his stint on Ireland AM. I mean is TV not a good enough paying job? He on again this afternoon obviously filling in for someone. He also has a Saturday afternoon programme on Q surrounding music and sport. We all like a bit of extra dosh but I thought that the early morning TV would take enough out of you and it would pay enough to keep you sweet.

Aidan worked on the old Q102 back in the day, and I'm sure like previous posters said, he's not there now for the money. Radio and money don't really go well in the same sentence. He's there more than likely for the love of the medium, as most presenters are.
    John R wrote:
    30k for spinnin' some choons for 2 hours a day sounds pretty good to me.

A good two hour radio programme is like a well oiled machine. These guys working five days don't arrive 5 mins before they go on air and head off 5 minutes after they finish. Most will spend a normal working day preparing the programme and getting content/music etc for the rest of the week. The guys on bigger money are working with national stations and are seasoned professionals and are raking in the money for the station. they deserve it. Gerry Ryan is paid almost €500,000 a year but his programme brings in over
    €6M revenue for RTE....... So John R , it's certainly not a case of sitting down and playin' a few tunes for a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The fact the Gerry Ryan show brings in 6m for RTE is no justification for paying him 500k p.a.....

Any half decent punter with the full weight of the national broadcaster, the favourable time slot, and the lack of competition would do just as well.

Time to bury that myth for once and for all.

Bit like paying everyone out in Dublin airport huge money when there is nowhere else to go!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

The fact the Gerry Ryan show brings in 6m for RTE is no justification for paying him 500k p.a.....

Any half decent punter with the full weight of the national broadcaster, the favourable time slot, and the lack of competition would do just as well.

Time to bury that myth for once and for all.

Bit like paying everyone out in Dublin airport huge money when there is nowhere else to go!!!

You are perhaps stretching a personal distaste for Gerry Ryan a bit there. In anyone's book 500K for 6M is fair enough - less than 10%.

I completely disagree with you that 'any half decent punter' could do the same. You shouldn't assume such listener apathy.

And your analogy is ridiculous. Dublin Airport is much more a monopoly than RTE 2FM - there would be at least 7 other options in Dublin, at least 4 in every major urban centre, and at least three elsewhere.

I have no personal distaste for Gerry Ryan... I never listen to him!!!

Am I mistaken or somewhat but is his salary linked to ad revenue???

If so ...Why???

In my opinion it should not be...why should he be paid more than the Taoiseach, Semi State CEO's,Govt. Ministers? He has none of the responsibility associated with these positions.
    In my opinion payment should be commensurate with responsibility and workload and using benchmarking parameters Ryan would get nowhere near 500k.

I disagree with your opinion that any half decent punter would not do almost as well.

My analogy with Dublin Airport is ,in my opinon, quite valid.

What competition have RTE got.?.. a few half baked stations with a narrow listener base plus a few amateur outfits running on a shoestring staffed by punters to whom the spoken English language is a challenge.

On your basis the head of the ESB would be getting millions!!!!

I find your arguments ill thought out,biased, head in the sand stuff and quite frankly puerile in the extreme

Genghis, I agree with everything you said in your post. How can the head of the ESB be compared to a presenter on 2FM? Because the ESB generates so much money? The ESB has very little competition.. you speak of no competition for Gerry Ryan's programme.. What about the competition from every other radio station in the country? National stations have the most competition because they have the greatest catchment area. An average Joe cannot do this job, you obviously have no idea about radio programming if you think that. 500,000 per year is easy work for having a chat for three hours a day is like saying the lads playing premiership soccer in England are on good money for having a kick about for 90 mins on a Saturday... There's a lot more than just a kick about involved!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

in fairness, your arguements are hardly the stuff of legend. people in glasshouses and all that...

your analogy with dublin airport is like the rantings of a lunatic who has consumed a few too many brews. For example, Gerry Ryan's competition is Ryan Tubridy/the PK show on RTE Radio 1, Ray D'Arcy on Today FM, and a bunch of local stations that are showing pretty decent listenership growth year on year.

" a few half baked stations with a narrow listener base plus a few amateur outfits running on a shoestring staffed by punters to whom the spoken English language is a challenge."

i would imagine the likes of highland radio, radio kerry, northern sound, galway bay, wlr, live 95, ocean fm etc would have something to say about that. Incidentally, all of those stations had over 50% listened yesterday in the last set of jnlr figures (i'm going to assume you know what jnlr figures are). hardly a narrow listener base.

as for stations staffed by punters 'to' (surely you mean for) whom the spoken English language is a challenge - i would challenge you to name them and cite examples. and try to do it in a cogent and reasoned fashion. it seems you seem to find writing sentences as bearla in this manner a challenge. i return to the people in glasshouses point.....

regardless of whether you like gerry ryan or not (and i'm not a fan), you would have to be an imbecile with little or no experience of the real world of radio to suggest that 'any half decent punter' would do as well. like him or lump him, he delivers an audience (albeit one that has slipped in the last 18 months) in a way that most other half decent punters struggle to do.

Genghis, I agree with everything you said in your post. How can the head of the ESB be compared to a presenter on 2FM? Because the ESB generates so much money? The ESB has very little competition.. you speak of no competition for Gerry Ryan's programme.. What about the competition from every other radio station in the country? National stations have the most competition because they have the greatest catchment area. An average Joe cannot do this job, you obviously have no idea about radio programming if you think that. 500,000 per year is easy work for having a chat for three hours a day is like saying the lads playing premiership soccer in England are on good money for having a kick about for 90 mins on a Saturday... There's a lot more than just a kick about involved!!!

1.. I never said there was NO competition for the Gerry Ryan programme

2..I never said that the programme was easy work

3... Comparing it with premiership soccer is stupid.... that is private sector
    market driven economy ...RTE is a state broadcaster funded by licence fees and ad revenue.

I dislike the patronising tone of your reply .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

that is private sector
    market driven economy ...RTE is a state broadcaster funded by licence fees and ad revenue.
    Note the final part of your own statement there* unlike, say, the BBC, RTÉ get some of their money from ad revenue. They compete for that ad revenue with other broadcasters. They hence are influenced by the pressures of a free market economy.

Any businessman who is in a competitive field that can make €6m return on a "star" employee they are paying €500,000 - and make that return immediately - would be happy to do so.

If you don't think RTÉ should be competing for ad revenue, fair enough. If you think they should be entirely dependant upon ad revenue, fair enough. If you think Gerry Ryan is an irritating, preening, simpering little Howard Stern wanna-be who hasn't got the cajones to follow up on that ambition further than saying "penishes" while inwardly giggling like a schoolgirl reading a Black Lace novel 2ft away from where Sr. Margaret is marking the R.E. homework (I know I do) fair enough, but you can't argue that €6m immediate return on €500,000 isn't a good deal.

* Imagine the redundant elipses weren't in your own statement before reading it, it'll be more readable then

I have no issue with Gerry Ryan good bad or indifferent.

I just do not believe he is worth 500k p.a.

The fact that his show generates 6m ad rev to me is is no reason to pay that kind of dosh

I have stated my reasons before and I am not going to trawl over them again.

Again I go to the Dublin Airport analogy..... Pay the head honcho there a salary comensurate with the revenue generated..like ..theres nowhere else to go.

If you want true nationwide coverage in ireland its RTE... little or no competition...the ad industry know that

1.. I never said there was NO competition for the Gerry Ryan programme

2..I never said that the programme was easy work

3... Comparing it with premiership soccer is stupid.... that is private sector

I dislike the patronising tone of your reply .

1. You made some reference to 'half baked' stations, and asked what competition they have. I was simply pointing out that 2FM probably has the most competition in the country.

2. My post was in reply to the thread in general. I was referring to John R's post.

3. Again, I was referring to John R's post, where he said it was easy work going in to play a few records for two hours a day for €30k.

The previous poster again is correct in his/her reply to your other comments.

Why does it always come back to Gerry Ryan? ALWAYS! Come on people, focus! The money for working in radio is ****e! Why do we do it? Because we love it! Radio managment know this and exploit people for it which is suprising really considering most of management these days used to be in that exact same position! As for the 2 hours for €30k comment I wish it was that simple! I dont think Ive ever done a 2 hour gig in my life! The days of 'show and go' are gone! ANd loyality is non existent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

I don't listen to Gerry Ryan, fair play if he can get 500,000 a year but saying that he brings in 6 million is rubbish (Pat Kenny gives the same reason for his wages.)

There's an easy way to get me and others like me to shut up and that's to give some proof. Gerry is not on air for weeks at a time, can we see how much listenig figures drop when he's off in the sun? If the figures don't drop that much (which I suspect) then he's not worth 500,000.

I know others will come along and say he built up the audience etc. etc. and there may be some truth in that, but then again what if the Summer figures are given to us and the numbers actually go up???

Medja.. you're the man... exactly my point... only better put!!!!!

Excuse the bad English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

Medja.. you're the man... exactly my point... only better put!!!!!

Excuse the bad English.

Its as simple as this, If RTE don't pay him the money someone else will, Today FM, 98 FM , 104, Q102 or Newstalk 106 would pay even more than that to have him on the line up as he is a sure cert to draw in listeners. His figures are holding 2fm together and RTE are not going to let him go.
    Great situation fro Mr Ryan.
    He could earn more in the commercial sector but I would imagine he likes the security and freedom of that RTE job.
    As for wages in Radio, Dublin commercials pay 50-100k for most daytime shifts, outside dublin 20-50k although I know of one Cork DJ who earns in excess of 100k as his figures are huge.The higher your figures the more you can command.. Its not as easy as throwing a few songs on, commercial stations outside RTE & Today FM allow DJs to have NO and I mean absolutely NO input, they are also issued with very strict format guidlines to adhere to and are under immense pressure form management to deliver figures or be replaced. Radio stations can be amazing places to work but on a bad day it can be horrible.
    Costs are high and they cant afford to screw up on the on air talent.
    And before you ask how I know I worked on Dublin Radio for 20 yrs.

Whoooaaah... Haaaaaaaaa. Haaaaa..... Whuhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Yehhaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nobody else in their right fc***kin mind would pay him the same money......if they had it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Whoooooooooooooo ah..... Ha hahahahahahahahaha.. nnooooooooooooo

frikkin waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

And he KNOWS it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nobody else in their right fc***kin mind would pay him the same money......if they had it"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

And he KNOWS it

I can see you're taking me seriously!!!
    No more than I expected.
    That would explain why he already turned down MORE money from 2 other stations and why the advertising agencies book up the breaks on his show 6 months in advance.
    Work it out for yourself (if your able), but then you probably know better don't you!!
    You may hate his guts but as he still draws oodles of listeners he will be on the air for a long time yet and may earn even more than 500k as the radio market gets more competitive.So you're going to have to live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

Its as simple as this, If RTE don't pay him the money someone else will, Today FM, 98 FM , 104, Q102 or Newstalk 106 would pay even more than that to have him on the line up as he is a sure cert to draw in listeners. His figures are holding 2fm together and RTE are not going to let him go.
    Great situation fro Mr Ryan.
    He could earn more in the commercial sector but I would imagine he likes the security and freedom of that RTE job.

Others would pay him the money if he could draw in six million. If he was bringing in that much he'd be cheap to a commerical station at one million a year. (Heck give him 2!) However, there is no proof that he does actually bring in the listeners. they might be there anyway. That's why we need to see some summertime figures.

If he could earn more in the commercial sector, he'd be off in a shot, he does have a brain. He probably knows that they don't move fast in the radio centre and he'll get another 3 years even if his figures are poor. If he were in the commercial sector he'd be gone in 12 months. In RTE he's probably got 3 or 4 years before they'd get rid of him.

Pat is a example of this. He had great figures in the past, but they've been falling year after year. If he were on Today FM or another station, the show would have been revamped or he would have been let go. His show is almost exactly the same as it was ten years ago.

• Advertisement

As for wages in Radio, Dublin commercials pay 50-100k for most daytime shifts, outside dublin 20-50k although QUOTE]

Sorry but you are waaaaay off the mark there. SOME of the mainline dublin guys would be on the 40-60k mark. 100k in Dublin? No chance at all! Denis's pockets arent that big. The average is lower with id say most on the mid 30s mark. As for outside Dublin, the average is bout 26k! Maybe a little more depending on how long your with a station. Figures will go up and figures will go down and most of these people are still doing the same show that theyve been doing for years! The regionals are very different!

Medja ... again 100% right..... exactly my point....

he knows it.... he knows it ... he knows it.... FFS ifhe could do better he'd be off like a frikken shot... Himself and Muury oor whatever her name is would be flyin around the world business class and lappin it up.

however the suits out in RTE have NOfcukin initiative ,so they will let the show go on and of course they don't have to worry about expenses... shure the poor auld taxpayer will take care of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

And he KNOWS it
    I'm sorry, but what does that actually mean?

I see plenty of elipses in the quoted passage (5 at a guess, though you don't quite get the dots right) and am left to the conclusion that your communiqué is in the elided passages.

Could you try again, and this time give us these elided passages and elide over the impersonation of Tom Cruise on Oprah (that time he was going on about how in love he was with his [strike]beard[/strike]fiancée through poorly acting like an exciting person)? Better yet, don't elide them, actually edit them out, resulting in a readable post one might comprehend.

In an effort to become more objective in this discussion,I listened to the Gerry Ryan show on Monday 25 Sep,for the first time in yonks.

I was not impressed... the word 'fantaaaastic' was said at least20 to 30 times.

Gerry himself did his best,but where does he dig those women,I think her name was Evelyn O'Rourke, out of??

My God!!! A clone of Brenda Donoghue,roaring out of the back of her throat and interupting everything in a strident loud voice.

Good fast paced radio doesn't mean you have to shout everything and shouting won't cover up for lack of real content to discerning listners like myself.

Suffice to say I won't be around that dial again,and if so,purely for research purposes only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

bbability wrote:
    I'm just wondering if TV3 are payin peanuts or what
    Yes they do, just like every other independent station. The goal for most people in TV and radio is to get into RTE where the pay is significantly better. You gotta remember that they actually don't do much other than pick up the papers and read the wire services and then rewrite them and maybe get an interview. Very few TV and radio journalists actually break stories. DJs aren't paid too well either, with one or two exceptions, until they get to RTE where they are way overpaid. Imagine the average if RTE didn't overpay a lot of people

2004 Media survey on pay in radio:
    Broadcast Journalist €25,000 To €35,000 -
    Presenters €30,000 To €65,000 -
    Producers €25,000 To €28,000 -
    Researchers €16,000 To €18,000
    Same survey on TV:
    TV Journalist €30,000 To €35,000 -
    Broadcast Assistant €22,000 - - -
    Presenters €60,000 To €100,000 -
    Researchers €20,000 -

They're on recruitireland.com and survey was by Prosperity.

Excellent post J

That sums it up perfectly

Advertisement