Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angle preparing for MMA debut

• 20-09-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

So much for resting his injuries. This was recently posted by PWInsider's Mike Johnson:
    In a surprising move given his health issues (but perhaps not so surprising, given his past drive athletically), former WWE champion Kurt Angle is preparing and gearing up to compete in the world of Mixed Martial Arts, according to a number of sources.

Angle, who was released by World Wrestling Entertainment, has not had any contact with the company since the week of his release, after the company released a text message noting that Angle was in a bad emotional state following the meeting that led to his release.

Angle's manager Dave Hawk has contacted a number of media outlets in recent days, touting that Angle would make his MMA debut in 2007 and was in discussions with a number of MMA groups. Angle recently conducted an interview with MMA magazine Real Fighter as well, pushing his interests in competing in MMA.

According to one source, one likely opponent may be former WWE Tough Enough champion Daniel Puder, who has been making noises about fighting Angle in UFC next year. Whether Puder, a shrewd self-promoter, is attempting to drum up interest in himself among MMA circles or there is legitimate interest in bringing the fight to UFC remains to be seen.

Puder made a name for himself among hardcore fans during a WWE Smackdown segment where he cinched Angle in a keylock and could have easily forced a tapout (or injured Angle) before WWE officials counted Puder's shoulders down. WWE never followed up on the incident (although the Kurt Angle open challenge was originally designed as an angle to capitalize on it) and Puder was discarded months a year after winning the Million Dollar Tough Enough competition and spending time in WWE developmental territories. Puder, who's contract with the California based MMA group Strike Force, recently expired, has a 3-0 MMA record. He's currently training with the American Kickboxing Academy, and weighing in at around 235, which is a heavyweight in UFC.

Another potential big name opponent that would create an immediately marketable fight could be another former WWE champion, Brock Lesnar, who is currently training with Royce Gracie for a debut with the HEROS MMA group in Japan. Lesnar and Angle had a memorable WWE feud in 2002, including headlining Wrestlemania in Seattle, Washington and a 60 Minute Iron Man match that aired on WWE Smackdown.

One possible setback to a "shoot" rematch of the Wrestlemania XIX main event would be worries that UFC (or another MMA group) create credibility issues by using "fake pro wrestlers" at a time where MMA is getting more and more legitimate sports coverage.

The flipside of that is that it's entirely possible that Angle's standing as one of the greatest amateur wrestlers of the modern era and a former Olympic gold medalist would overshadow those concerns.

There is also a major upside to Angle appearing in MMA circles, as the curiosity factor of such a high level pro wrestler could create great interest, ratings, and PPV buyrates, especially for Angle's first fight. Angle's potential debut within MMA would easily create major crossover interest among professional wrestling fans and give whatever MMA group he potentially fights for a chance to snare new fans, including those disenfranchised by current pro wrestling, for their sport.

The other major quandry would be Angle's health, given his past neck injuries, the muscle tears that led to the end of his WWE status, and the outside issues that helped lead to his WWE release. Whether someone as personally driven as Angle could compete in MMA circles today, at his age, as something more than a one time big event attraction, remains to be seen.

Angle had written at the end of his his 2002 autobiography It's True! It's True! that he intended to train and compete once more in the Olympics, but later opted not to due to his injuries suffered while working for World Wrestling Entertainment. He's had a number of additional injuries since that point.

Angle also had a number of personal issues that helped lead to his release, including a suspension during the launch of the ECW brand. To compete in MMA, Angle would need to prove he is physically able to compete.

Since his release from WWE this past August, Angle has easily become the hottest commodity in professional wrestling with every major and minor outlet wanting to test the field of doing business with him.

I can't say I agree with Kurt going down this route. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If WWE thought wrestling was too dangerous for him, i fear UFC or MMA might kill him. The only match I want to see Angle in, is with Danielson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

gimmick wrote:
    If WWE thought wrestling was too dangerous for him, i fear UFC or MMA might kill him.

Gotta agree with that! It's gonna make him so much worse, he has enough injuries to rest up already. He should really think about his health & his future before even thinking about MMA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Let him do what he wants. He's a goon anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Theres alot of rumours about what his next move his. So I think nothing should be considered definate. Sure TNA have a "major" announcement coming up too.

Meltzer and Alvarez were discussing this on www.f4wonline.com and Meltzer made the point that while the best solution would be to just retire, a night in the octagon (after he got himself sorted) would be far easier on Angles body (with the right opponent) than 200+ plus nights of wrestling. And he'd make the same if not more money with the current boom in MMA in one night than he would in 200 working for the WWE.

Theres different ways of looking at it. Ken Shanrock on numerous occassion has stated that wrestling was far more tougher on his body than MMA ever was. Its the continuous grind and the lack of recouperation time of profeesional wrestling that wears guys down so much.

In saying all that the thought of Angle in MMA scares me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Kurt Angle's representatives issued the following statement regarding his health and MMA intentions:
    Dear Angle Friends and Fans:

Kurt "The Machine" Angle wants to truly thank everyone for their concerns and best regards to his recovery and wellness. Kurt continues to read your kind messages and he feels truly blessed to have your support, as your well wishes continue to strengthen him mentally and physically. He also apologizes as he would love to reply to you everyone but unfortunately due to timing with his family, his rehabilitation, training, and business leaves very little time to converse.

Kurt wants me to update you, he's happy to express his physical condition is fastly rebounding. When Kurt left WWE, he was beaten and battered down at a mirror 220. Over the past many weeks with the right rest, a wonderful wife who is preparing the ideal diet, daily physical therapy, and back to good strength training we are happy to report he's up to a solid 240 with about 85% full flexibility....

As you may have seen or heard the latest news, Kurt Angle is a huge fan of all MMA programs (K1, UFC, PRIDE, WEC, and IFL to name a few) this former Olympic Gold Medalist and Extreme Athlete has the heart and the deep driven passion to show he's the best of the best. Angle has his sight on a full physical recovery and plans a day to put it all on the line....Real Fighter will have the exclusive....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kurt wants me to update you, he's happy to express his physical condition is fastly rebounding. When Kurt left WWE, he was beaten and battered down at a mirror 220. Over the past many weeks with the right rest, a wonderful wife who is preparing the ideal diet, daily physical therapy, and back to good strength training we are happy to report he's up to a solid 240 with about 85% full flexibility....

I'm no doctor but I fail to see how about a month off has led to Kurt almost regaining full fitness. Hell he was given a 30 day suspension by WWE and they remained concerned about him when he came back.

I think part of Angle wants to prove the WWE wrong right now when he should be listening to their advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Ah..I don't think this is the best idea. Obviously he needs rest. His body is worn out, probably more than any wrestler around, that's well documented. I just don't see how he could make an impact in mma when he's said in the past that he wouldn't have been able to compete in the Olympics 2 years ago

Maybe he just wants a few big money fights to prove that he can do it. But knowing the little that I know, I think it's a bad idea

Brock would destroy him if they ever competed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I don't think an MMA carreer given his age and his injury list would be successful.

But this is Kurt Angle and from what I've read it won't be for the want of trying. He is insanely driven. Too driven in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

wow where did this come from.so much for angle taking time out to get his health back.
    I really dont understand this decision.This is the last thing that a guy that is in angles position should consider doing.The guys body is in so many ways wrecked-beyond repair.I certainly hope that angle reconsiders this decision and does not go ahead with it
    Sure the guy may have some great matches but for the sake of his health it takes only one MMA injury to pretty much destroy a body that has already been through a HUGE list of injuries-some of which still affect him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

what the hell is angle thinking, not with his head thats for sure, if he truly is preparing for MMA then he really hasnt thought things true, the mans neck is gone, multiple torn muscles and other debilitataing inuries to numerous to mention

I reckon powerslam is right, angle will end up in a wheelchair sooner rather then later

This is quite unbelieveable, being the athlete that he is and the trsining he endured for the olympics the man should now know when to call it quits

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I can't say I agree with Kurt going down this route. Your thoughts?

The injury risk between MMA and Pro Wrestling is massively different to be honest, so I can see him being able to depending on exactly what his injuries may be.

The only thing I have every heard about Angle's injuries is a load of net rumour and 12 year old bull****, so I will reserve judgement myself.

If he can do it, then I would love to see it.

Besides, if he ever does fight in the UFC he will need to pass all the tests thrown at him by the relevant Comission of the state he will be fighting in, and they are no joke.

Advertisement