Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grandstand booed the Yanks!

• 20-09-2006 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

RTE radio reporting that the US team ignored the crowd and went off down the fairway and the paying public got shirty!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That's not good, maybe an honest mistake. If they did it deliberately then they deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The team captain said it was a genuine error - a mix of battling the weather and determinaton to get some work done after the delay.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

mike65 wrote:
    The team captain said it was a genuine error - a mix of battling the weather and determinaton to get some work done after the delay.

Mike.

Yeah we did boo the US, we waited all day for them, and then headed to the 1st tee ages beforehand (right after I saw jack charlton) and then when they eventually came out they walked down the fairway without a word. They played 9 holes and only played from the tees at the 2 par 3s and the last. every other hole they played from usually 100/150 yards off the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

the weather was ****e. Im surprised they came out at all. Not their fault. No one seems to boo the Your-a-PEE-ans for shagging off after nine holes....

should have stayed inthe bar lads..great time to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

WillyWonka wrote:
    Yeah we did boo the US, we waited all day for them, and then headed to the 1st tee ages beforehand (right after I saw jack charlton) and then when they eventually came out they walked down the fairway without a word. They played 9 holes and only played from the tees at the 2 par 3s and the last. every other hole they played from usually 100/150 yards off the green.

Can I just say that I am so very proud of you and the other 'fans' that booed the yanks.

Were you rooted to the spot? Had you nailed your feet to the ground?

Why did you not follow them instead of booing them?

It's practice - why would they HAVE to tee off?

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

I think the practice tickets should be free or at least a lot less than €35. At this price the players are under pressure to play when the days are really set aside for them to practice. The method for practice should be entirely up to the teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

They were rightly booed as fans were told they would be starting of at the 1st tee and some parents with kids waited for up to an hour to get a good seat only for them to walk straight up the green and not even acknowledge the fans.

BOHS wrote:
    They were rightly booed as fans were told they would be starting of at the 1st tee and some parents with kids waited for up to an hour to get a good seat only for them to walk straight up the green and not even acknowledge the fans.

God gave most of us legs, the 'fans' should have used them to follow them

A seat is not a gurantee of action.

S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

if you weren't there you can't really comment on what happened as it has to be taken in context. It was a simple matter of courtesy - it wouldn't have killed them to stop and wave for a second or actually tee off on just the first tee. The fact that Lehman has unconditionally apologised for it shows they were in the wrong. People sat there for up to 2 hours waiting for them - an extra 5 minutes on their round would've appeased the crowds.

The crowds did use their feet - they got up and followed them round the course, but the appropriate thing to do would have been to reward those who waited on the first by teeing off there.

slumped wrote:
    Can I just say that I am so very proud of you and the other 'fans' that booed the yanks.

Were you rooted to the spot? Had you nailed your feet to the ground?

Why did you not follow them instead of booing them?

It's practice - why would they HAVE to tee off?

S
    Well said Frank, slumpled if you weren't there then don't comment. I enjoyed the american show overall, but that was bad form at the 1st tee. and it wasn't until a few holes later when people realised that there weren't teeing off from the long holes. This caused much confusion and disappointment and could have been handled better.

The fact that people did or did not follow them doesn't change what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Hixfunk

WillyWonka wrote:
    Well said Frank, slumpled if you weren't there then don't comment. I enjoyed the american show overall, but that was bad form at the 1st tee. and it wasn't until a few holes later when people realised that there weren't teeing off from the long holes. This caused much confusion and disappointment and could have been handled better.

In one way I agree and in another I totally disagree...kinda indecisive:D
    The booing seemed ridiculous, and even the boo boys realised that. it seemed like once people realised that they were booing some of their heros, they changed into chants of EEEEUUUURRRRROOOPPPEEE! I thought that was a much more appropriate response to the US decision.
    Overall, I found it quite difficult to identify where everyone was when I arrived at 11am. I would have liked a tannoy announcing who was where, kinda impractical but it was difficult to choose where to go, and it became pot luck.

WillyWonka wrote:

Why should I not comment? I know what happened, it was widely reported, seen the Lehman apology and read about what the crowds said.

WonkyWilly - this is a forum designed for everyone to give their opinion, it would do you no harm to respect those who are not of the same opinion of yourself.

S

slumped wrote:
    Why should I not comment? I know what happened, it was widely reported, seen the Lehman apology and read about what the crowds said.

WonkyWilly - this is a forum designed for everyone to give their opinion, it would do you no harm to respect those who are not of the same opinion of yourself.

S

Based on second hand information?? from newspapers and a few mins in the news? I've no problem with different opinions but I don't llke sarcastic comments from someone who wasn't there, thats all.

like the old saying...Paper never refused ink ;)

The same people that booed were also laughing and cheering at the 1st green when they started throwing balls into the crowd and a young girl was let run under the ropes to take a ball off tiger.

Advertisement