Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Do You Train????????

Options
  • 20-09-2006 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hey,

I live in Ballsbridge and go for my evening runs in Herbert Park. The problem with Herbert Park is that there are no lights so in winter its not the greatest place to train. I really need somewhere within reasonable reach of Ballsbridge to train. I have a car and am prepared to travel. Any ideas? :confused:

I thought about UCD - does anyone know if there is a good long lap there thats well lit during winter evenings. I pretty much need to train on grass so roads are not really an option.

Any ideas no matter how daft they appear will be greatly appreciated... :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I train in the Phoenix Park. The main road through it has lights. However.. they're not very bright, and in order to be seen you need to run on the cycle track, which is frowned upon by the cyclists. Having said that though, many cyclists cycle on the running tracks.. so it's a bit of give and take.

Up and back on the main road is 5 miles.

It's still quite dark with the lights, and the deer tend to come out of nowhere and freak the hell out of you.

I run along the coast in Clontarf sometimes, but I've never done it after dark so not sure what the light situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Or you could try something like
    http://www.irishfit.eu/reflectivemen.htm
    or one of the other led headlamps out there. That one uses coin cell batteries but there are ones that use AA batteries.

If it's worry about being mugged/attacked obviously that won't help too much :) Running by all the bushes in herbert park feels pretty dodgey after the park closes and it's pitch dark alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

I run along the coast in Clontarf sometimes, but I've never done it after dark so not sure what the light situation is.

New lights have been installed the length of the promenade but I haven't seen them working yet, a grass run could be done here if and when they are up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Redfraggle

Thanks for the feedback guys,

Both Phoenix Park and Clontarf are too far from me I'm afraid. I need somewhere I can get to straight after work in teh evenings. Traffic would be nuts for me leaving at 6 - 6.30pm going to either of these places. realistically it has to be somewhere on the south side of the city.

I'm beginning to think that there are no good places to run near Ballsbridge other that Herbert Park :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

How about Strand Road in Sandymount. Up and down is about 3.5miles I think.. Certainly the road is lit, not sure about the walkway though.

• Advertisement

The Strand Road??? Can you run on grass there or is in tarmac the whole way???

I'm kinda limited to running on grass as I get shin splints really easily... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

Plenty of places to run in UCD Belfield. A full lap around the inside perimeter of the campus is about 5 miles but may not all be lit well enough for you. You should be able to do up a lap that's well enough lit of the distance you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

As a runner in Ballsbridge I can confirm that you're limited in routes that don't involve roads. You could try running alongside the path which follows the Dodder just south of Milltown, from Clonskeagh Rd to Churchtown Rd and back (round trip distance about 2.6km). You can run a lot of this on grass, and I have mapped it here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=325083

If you can't avoid hard surfaces, be aware that tarmac is much more forgiving than concrete. Runners World rated various surfaces from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). Grass was rated 9.5, tarmac (asphalt) rated 6, and concrete rated 2.

Hi Pines,

Thanks for the map. It looks good but to be honest I really need to avoid even tarmac as I'm the most injury prone person I know!!!!!!!!!

Grass is really the only surface that I can run on regularly - I could try that route from time to time maybe when its too wet to run on grass. Tarmac training is ok with me but not very often. My core training has to be on grass so I'm thinking that UCD may be my best bet.

Thanks for your help Pines...
    red:D :D

Hi Jlang,

Thanks for that. I actually went to UCD (long time ago:rolleyes: ) but I wasn't really running at the time so I wouldn't know that laps too well. It would suit really well as I could shower there afterwards. I know that the pitches beside the sports centre are lit up pretty well but that would be quite a boring lap. The 5 mile lap that you mentioned - how well is it lit up? I really only want to make sure that I can see where I'm going. The more it is lit the better but if its darkish in some areas thats ok as well.

Is there some way I can find out maybe a shorter lap thats well lit that people regularly use???

Cheers,
    Red:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Is there a UCD running club you could email and ask about campus routes? Maybe they have a map with routes shown. I know TCD's display a commonly used campus 1m loop on theirs.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Redfraggle wrote:
    Hi Jlang,

Thanks for that. I actually went to UCD (long time ago:rolleyes: ) but I wasn't really running at the time so I wouldn't know that laps too well. It would suit really well as I could shower there afterwards. I know that the pitches beside the sports centre are lit up pretty well but that would be quite a boring lap. The 5 mile lap that you mentioned - how well is it lit up? I really only want to make sure that I can see where I'm going. The more it is lit the better but if its darkish in some areas thats ok as well.

Is there some way I can find out maybe a shorter lap thats well lit that people regularly use???

Cheers,
    Red:D

i'm afraid most of that ucd route is not lit up at all, and will be pretty much pitch dark. I don't know how you will find a long lit up lap on grass anywhere in dublin. You are really stuck with finding a pitch to run around like in ucd. boring but thats the winter for you. Maybe run at lunchtime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

Tingle wrote:
    New lights have been installed the length of the promenade but I haven't seen them working yet, a grass run could be done here if and when they are up and running.

i run up there all the time...the new lights are not yet working...what we usually do is run out along the grass when its still bright and back along by the road (on the edge of the grass beside the cycle track) and as that is lit up by the street lights.

Advertisement