Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I was in an accident today, what next?

Options
  • 20-09-2006 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hi,

At about 1:15pm this afternoon I was driving into town (Dublin) when a truck drove into the side of my car. I beeped my horn and braked but he didn't see me and he hit the side of my car.

What do I do next? I took the reg and insurance details and from the photos I took I know what company owns the truck. Should I wait for them to contact me or should I contact their insurance company Quinn Direct I'm with AXA broker ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was clumsy, there is another thread here started last week which covers all this.

found it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054988982

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Have you a link to it please? Went thought 5 pages and didn't see it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its in dribs and drabs through the thread. Inform your insurance, and make a claim on the other guys. You could be nice and ask them to they want to pay for without going through the insurance. But that can be more hassle than its worth. Depends. What did you discuss with the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi TempestSabre

Same thig happened to me about 2 months ago, company construction guy backing into my back door. (his insurance was Quinn)

Just get his details and contact his company and ask them to inform their insurance comany to make a claim, give them your contcat details. You should not have to contact your insurace company as you are claiming of his insurance.

Then take you car to a reputable repair company and get a quote for the repair + how many days for a rental while car is being repaired.. Quinn should contact you to find out what the damage is and any one injured etc (they were very good to me and arranged the payment direct to the repair company) + car rental costs.

They were very good organising the repair times etc and making all the arrangements + keeping ,me updated on the progress of the claim.

I hope you have the same experiance as I did with Quinn

Garyh3

mike65 wrote:
    That was clumsy, there is another thread here started last week which covers all this.

found it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054988982

Mike.
    Thanks Mike.

• Advertisement

Its in dribs and drabs through the thread. Inform your insurance, and make a claim on the other guys. You could be nice and ask them to they want to pay for without going through the insurance. But that can be more hassle than its worth. Depends. What did you discuss with the driver?
    I'm going to wait until 1:30pm tomorrow to see if they ring me, that'll be 24 hours. If I hear nothing I'll go the insurance route. I just want it sorted asap.

garyh3 wrote:
    Hi TempestSabre

Same thig happened to me about 2 months ago, company construction guy backing into my back door. (his insurance was Quinn)

Just get his details and contact his company and ask them to inform their insurance comany to make a claim, give them your contcat details. You should not have to contact your insurace company as you are claiming of his insurance.

Then take you car to a reputable repair company and get a quote for the repair + how many days for a rental while car is being repaired.. Quinn should contact you to find out what the damage is and any one injured etc (they were very good to me and arranged the payment direct to the repair company) + car rental costs.

They were very good organising the repair times etc and making all the arrangements + keeping ,me updated on the progress of the claim.

I hope you have the same experiance as I did with Quinn

Garyh3
    That sounds promising, I hope this goes as smoothly.

garyh3 wrote:
    ...You should not have to contact your insurace company as you are claiming of his insurance....

Its usually stated in your insurance.

I also contacted my insurance AIG (at the time) and they didnt want to know... They just said claim on the other persons insurance.

Garyh3

Guess not all insurance companies have the same clause

• Advertisement

Update;

Well never heard anything from the truck company so I emailed the director of the company yesterday at 4pm, still heard nothing from them since.

So I rang Quinn Direct today at about 2:20 and gave them the details of what happened etc. Then 2:50pm I get a call from the truck company, the guy said Quinn Direct just rang him to the him and it was the first he heard of it.

Anyway he was very polite and I told him I just wanted the car sorted and that I'm not looking for anything else, so he asked me to bring it to a garage tomorrow so they can have a look at it then get it sorted next week.

All sounds good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

BreadBoard wrote:
    At about 1:15pm this afternoon I was driving into town (Dublin) when a truck drove into the side of my car. I beeped my horn and braked but he didn't see me and he hit the side of my car.
    Nice one getting a picture of him straddling the white line.

Victor wrote:
    Nice one getting a picture of him straddling the white line.

;)

:)

Update;

Well he was to ring me back on the Friday to tell me where to bring the car of his choice :rolleyes:, I'm the worse egjit as he never rang me. Anyway I rang him Monday after I was down with my main Nissan dealer and got an estimate of €1104.00 and it would take 2/3 days, so I'm going to need a car :rolleyes:

I hate the hassle of all this. Now I told him the price and he said ok go ahead and book it in and he'll pay the garage, fair enough I suppose.

I rang the garage to book it in when they told me it would take 2/3 days work. I haven't told this guy that yet.

How do I make sure that he pays the garage the money so I'm not left with no car or even worse the bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

What street is that, is it near Harolds Cross?

...You could be nice and ask them to they want to pay for without going through the insurance. But that can be more hassle than its worth. ...

Been there got the T-Shirt. Dunno why you are bothering to be nice.

Hi BreadBoard

Dont deal with the guy, deal with his insurance. Get the cost of the rental car and charge that also.

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

What on earth are people paying insurance firms to do? As far as I'm concerned the truck is insured with Quinn and they, not he, should be dealing with the entire matter of getting your car repaired. As a matter of principle I would not deal with the driver or vehicle owner as they'll just f**k you around as no doubt they have a million other things to do. Insurance companies charge enough on premuims, they should be made do a little work for a change.

@neuromancer;

Yeah heading into town :)

@TempestSabre, garyh3 & el tel;

Yeah I think ye are right, I'm being much to nice about this, I seem to be doing the chasing around here :mad:

I'm going to ring Quinn again, I haven't heard from them since Friday, which I think is strange, they told me they close claim cases in 5 working days !

Cheers guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

They've had their chance and blown it. Just deal with the insurance company from now on. Getting money off them will be hard enough in itself.

• Advertisement

Update;

I rang Quinn today and told them he's giving me the run around, they said that they canceled the claim as requested by the policy holder as he told them we where to sort it privately. I told them to reopen it as I have to chase him around the place, they said they'd ring me back asap.

The girl rang me back from QD about 30 mins later saying they couldn't contact him with the 2 landline numbers they had for him and asked if I had a mobile number for him, which I gave her. She then rang me back about another half hour later saying she can't reach him and that they will put it trough the insurance if they don't hear from him by Friday :rolleyes:

So I asked, "So he has the option weather he wants to sort it privately or go via the insurance?", she said yes.

All seems very unfair to me. :mad:

Advertisement