Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Road To Smart

• 20-09-2006 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

This is just my account of my move to smart telecom ( currently not there yet, but ill keep updating here ). Im sure plenty of others are very hesitant due to the behaviour of many such as Eircom.

Anyways.

==============
    8th 13:00 Cancelled Eircom Broadband
    8th 15:30 DSL Offline, Signal Remains On Line However
    13th 16:00 Ordered
    13th 18:00 Called Back, Gave DD details and answered Verification Questions
    14th 21:30 Email Received, order at stage 2 ( Direct Debit and Account details verified )
    14th 21:30 Email recieved, Order at stage 3 ( Unbundling Order Accepted by Eircom )
    19th Modem Package Posted
    20th Modem Package Arrived ( DR814Q Standard Modem )
    ===============

Currently I have the Modem Setup With LAN Port 1 Bridged so i can conenct my WGR614v6 Wireless Router to it, and i can use the other LAN Ports on it to use the Aolynk Admin Pages at the same time if required.

Now, im just awaiting the line to get transfered :-) lol

When i was with eircom, i was able to get the full 3mbps , 24/7 , so my line is pretty good as eircom lines tend to go ( the line is at least 20 years old btw )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

I must do one for my road to BT ..... or should that be road to hell... only thing is I would be here all night typing and still no broadband :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ironically enough it is probably easier to go from Eircom to Smart than from the other isps as Eircom seem to cancel the signal on the line fairly quickly. It took me ages to get the signal off the line when I was leaving UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

the signal is still on the line ( in terms of it being connected to a DSLAM , and finding a VC to the exchange ).

However my guess is, if you had it with another provider, when the eircom guys come in to take off your line and give it to smart, they see it conencted and say, soprry no-can-do.

if it was with eircom you had it, when they come in, they alraedy know youve gotten it cancelled i guess.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

JNive wrote:
    the signal is still on the line ( in terms of it being connected to a DSLAM , and finding a VC to the exchange ).

However my guess is, if you had it with another provider, when the eircom guys come in to take off your line and give it to smart, they see it conencted and say, soprry no-can-do.

if it was with eircom you had it, when they come in, they alraedy know youve gotten it cancelled i guess.

Well when you have been with another provider Eircom require a termination number and an eircom account number from Smart before they will accept the order from Smart. Also if you had your line rental with another provider that has to be brought back to Eircom. So lots of scope for things to go wrong.

In my case UTV 'forgot' to cancel my bb with them which slowled matters considerably.....................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

lol, those tools haha. Anyways i had a cancellation number from eircom too, just in case, but looks likt it should be fine without it hopefully hehe :-)

How long as it taken others to get transferred after they received their modem AND were already at stage 3 :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement