Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from AH

Options
  • 20-09-2006 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭

Sorry to add to the banning threads here but am looking for a couple of answers
    I was banned from AH for a thread called "No Moderators Please" firstly this was not meant to be a totally anit mod thread but a thread where i didn't want moderators to post in so regular posters could have a rant about some annoying moderation.
    I did not get a chance to explain this as i was banned quickly

I was banned for personal abusive i think (more piss take than abuse) which is fair enough as i reacted to abuse which i received first. I do feel ban was unfair but it was my own fault at the end of the day but i have a couple of questions.

1.Why wasn't other poster banned
    2.Why no warning, since it was at the very beginning of thread, it was not totally out of control
    3.How do i find out how long i am banned for, pm'd moderator but they have not replied!!

Not after big debate like in the instrument thread (rozie) but maybe just someone with a couple of clear points that can help
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I thought I had answered your questions here

Why do you feel the need for another thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I was banned from AH for a thread called "No Moderators Please" firstly this was not meant to be a totally anit mod thread but a thread where i didn't want moderators to post in so regular posters could have a rant about some annoying moderation.

Where did you get the idea you had any right to dictate who posts in your thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Beruthiel wrote:
    I thought I had answered your questions here

Why do you feel the need for another thread?

I dont know how long ban is for since moderator has ignored me

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

AH is moderated strictly because of its nature. If you were banned from there, you would be best off just sitting out the ban.

As for the other guy, perhaps he should have been banned, but he probably thought you were a troll and that you were just posting something in an effort to fight the power, which usually ends up messy.

So far, you've PMd the mod in question and started two threads about it. I'd say that's enough to get you noticed.

Where did you get the idea you had any right to dictate who posts in your thread?

That is not really the point but if you feel that strongly about it, i feel that a person starts a thread for a specific reason and wants a certain point of view to be displayed and backed up in the thread. I would not get offended if you started a thread called "mods only" but you are right, who am i to dictate to you or anyone else, my sincere appologies to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I dont know how long ban is for since moderator has ignored me

i dont know who banned you, but seems like a good start to me.

if you want to start a post about mods, why not start it inthe feedback forum, rather than on the AH forum?

AH is moderated strictly because of its nature. If you were banned from there, you would be best off just sitting out the ban.

As for the other guy, perhaps he should have been banned, but he probably thought you were a troll and that you were just posting something in an effort to fight the power, which usually ends up messy.

So far, you've PMd the mod in question and started two threads about it. I'd say that's enough to get you noticed.

What kind of ban can they issue, any type of ban or are there certain rules about this?

I admit the thread was stupid and even suggested that it be removed but was just ignored

i dont know who banned you, but seems like a good start to me.

if you want to start a post about mods, why not start it inthe feedback forum, rather than on the AH forum?

I have not denied it was a poor move on my part, live and learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I forgot to reply, sorry about that. Anyway here's my official line. I'll unban you when you show that you aren't here just to kick up stink and abuse people.

Giblet wrote:
    I forgot to reply, sorry about that. Anyway here's my official line. I'll unban you when you show that you aren't here just to kick up stink and abuse people.

Thats fair enough, dont have any real problems with my ban and look forward to posting there in the future hopefully :o

• Advertisement

What kind of ban can they issue, any type of ban or are there certain rules about this?

whatever they want to be honest.
    there are no rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I was banned for personal abusive i think (more piss take than abuse) which is fair enough
    I do feel ban was unfair

Mario! I'm a confused! Helpa de Luigi and a explaina the situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The best way to approach bulletin boards like this one is to try and not feel like you have "ownership" of any thread you start. This isn't a blog and that's really the fun. The problem is that while I can sympathise with people wanting to have a rant about some annoying moderator decision, AH is definitely not the place to be doing it. I'm not even sure if it's a good idea at all to have such a thread on this site.

Constructive critisism and genuine issues being raised are things to be encouraged but a generic rant where people are talking in very broad generalities is just going to get some mods' backs up and isn't really a great idea imho. Why antagonise people when it serves to achieve nothing? The best way for users to affect change on this site is to coherently and carefully raise issues and propose solutions. Just "ranting" about it will only end up with a growing division between mods and users while forgetting that yes not all users are mods but all mods are users and there is a lot of common ground there that tends to be ignored in the usual deluge of the internet version of the much feared toddler temper tantrum type threads that tend to trouble this forum. :)

sjones wrote:
    Mario! I'm a confused! Helpa de Luigi and a explaina the situation!

Someone threw abuse at me, i threw it back...
    The ban is fair in respect to the fact that i probably over steped the proverbial line in both my comments and the nature of the thread.

But i feel its a bit unfair that i got banned and other person didn't and that what i said was not totally outragous and was only meant jokingly, i can only learn from the situation i suppose....know i kind of contradict myself but hope you see where i come from

you only quoted part of my sentance - i do feel ban was unfair but it was my own fault

nesf wrote:
    The best way to approach bulletin boards like this one is to try and not feel like you have "ownership" of any thread you start. This isn't a blog and that's really the fun. The problem is that while I can sympathise with people wanting to have a rant about some annoying moderator decision, AH is definitely not the place to be doing it. I'm not even sure if it's a good idea at all to have such a thread on this site.

Constructive critisism and genuine issues being raised are things to be encouraged but a generic rant where people are talking in very broad generalities is just going to get some mods' backs up and isn't really a great idea imho. Why antagonise people when it serves to achieve nothing? The best way for users to affect change on this site is to coherently and carefully raise issues and propose solutions. Just "ranting" about it will only end up with a growing division between mods and users while forgetting that yes not all users are mods but all mods are users and there is a lot of common ground there that tends to be ignored in the usual deluge of the internet version of the much feared toddler temper tantrum type threads that tend to trouble this forum. :)

Yea I agree, I regreted starting it around ten mins after (being banned probably brought that feeling on). I should of asked questions rather than making broad generalities that benefit no one

ahhhh.

see have all learned a valuable lesson here today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I did not get a chance to explain this as i was banned quickly
    The original post would probably have been a great place to make your intentions for the on-coming thread to be known.

Hindsight, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The problem is that while I can sympathise with people wanting to have a rant about some annoying moderator decision, AH is definitely not the place to be doing it. I'm not even sure if it's a good idea at all to have such a thread on this site.

Could one be set up in the thunderdome, course it still could be a bad idea, but it is the only place where such a thread can be let run its course till the (not so muppety) fight the power posters grow tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Could one be set up in the thunderdome, course it still could be a bad idea, but it is the only place where such a thread can be let run its course till the (not so muppety) fight the power posters grow tired.

That's a great idea,their opinion is worthless anyway. Keep the feedback forum for positive feedback only. Grind the bastids down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I think I might have been the other poster but I'm not sure. I cant see what comment got the OP banned but if it was the one directed at me I wasnt bothered by it. He was having a whinge and a rant and the first reply he got didnt agree with him. Must have p*ssed him off as he was obviously looking for everyone to rally around him as some sort of revolutionary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

What does anit mean?

Doctor J wrote:
    What does anit mean?

http://www.anit.asso.fr/

6th wrote:
    I think I might have been the other poster but I'm not sure. I cant see what comment got the OP banned but if it was the one directed at me I wasnt bothered by it. He was having a whinge and a rant and the first reply he got didnt agree with him. Must have p*ssed him off as he was obviously looking for everyone to rally around him as some sort of revolutionary.

Thanks for valuable input

Thanks for valuable input

No problem. If you where banned partically because of the comment made at me I am very sorry to hear it - i'm sure you can be a desent sort when you arent having a whinge.

tbh you should check out the thunderdome if you want to have a real no-holds-barred rant.

6th wrote:
    No problem. If you where banned partically because of the comment made at me I am very sorry to hear it - i'm sure you can be a desent sort when you arent having a whinge.

Thanks for having faith in me and I will try and better myself for boards, you and myself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement