Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Newcastle (scores)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think the Setanta guy went a bit OTT at the end. You'd think Alonso had scored from the other side of Stanley Park! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

el rabitos wrote:
    howler nothing, he was beaten before he slipped
    No goalkeeper should ever be beaten from that range imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

/me waits for the guy to come on saying his under 12's could have scored that goal and it was nothing special

20 replays on ART make me think the keeper wouldn't have got it anyway, although his slip is great for comic effect, requires Benny Hill music

zabbo wrote:
    /me waits for the guy to come on saying his under 12's could have scored that goal and it was nothing special

20 replays on ART make me think the keeper wouldn't have got it anyway, although his slip is great for comic effect, requires Benny Hill music
    Credit to Alonso, but I think you'll find the only reason players don't try that more often is not because it's too difficult, but because the keeper will almost always save it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6gRX7-NgM

benny hill music as requested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Any links to the goal???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

same link now showing the Villa game... class link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

good game for the pool....should have beaten them by about 3 or 4 tho...I'm happy tho and we kept a clean sheet - excellent...Agger is impressing me in each game he plays...he's gonna be a legend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Which link are yea guys talking about ? If its the one I posted, I should have another one for the next game. If it was the one that someone else posted, point me in its direction because it sounds great!

Regarding the game, Alonso or Garcia should get MOM. Kuyt & Gerrard also played really well. It could have been 5 or 6 to be honest. Kuyt should have had a hattrick, Bellamy should have score on the open goal and Garcia was awful unlucky to hit the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Whether the keeper slipped or not it was still a superbly audacious thing to try and I'm glad it went in purely to reward the vision to hit that kind of shot.

as for the game itself, Newcastle played well in the second half and definitely should have had at least one penalty. Maybe they didn't do enough to take anything from the game though as Liverpool looked comfortable.

Agger wasn't as solid as people are making out. He looked troubled by the physical presence of Ameobi and let one or two balls bounce that he shouldn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Would Given have let it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

irish1 wrote:
    Would Given have let it in?

Well considering Shay Given would have also been wearing soft ground boots then yes it's quite possible he could have slipped.

If he fell over he would have!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

It's amazing but Garcia had positive influence on the team :eek:. Alonso for MOTM for the setting up the first goal and of course the tap in. Poor Harper indeed. Just signed a new contract at 31 and does this on his one chance to usurp Given's spot.

Newcastle really should have taken the game to Liverpool sooner. Pool were almost inviting them but it never happened

Kuyt is annoying me lately with his misses. It's like the Roy Evans era when Liverpool created loads of near misses. Good to see Bellamy get 90mins for once. Sisoko had his clone appearing everywhere again.

Waiting to see it on Football First on Sky, but you have to remember Harper hasn't played first team football in a long time. Haven't said that even to try and score from that far out deserves credit.

• Advertisement

Ah now thats harmless, if Harper hadn't of slipped he could have easily saved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

mike65 wrote:

Nice one Mike.

I think that goal will be remembered as a blooper more so than brilliance. Audacious effort nonetheless and its players who are willing to try efforts like this that make the game such an enjoyment to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

tbh it was a good goal but no way was it a great goal. Garcia wouldve had a great goal. he got lucky thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Great stuff from Xabi, when he's on form so is the team. He got off to a slow start but this looked like vintage Alonso tonight. Good game too from Momo and another from Agger. The only downside was the goal scoring : Luis, Headbanger and Kuyt(more than once) should have hit the net. Meh.

6 points off the top. Hopefully this is the start of a Run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

evad_lhorg wrote:
    tbh it was a good goal but no way was it a great goal. Garcia wouldve had a great goal. he got lucky thats all.

i sence you have a bit of a love affair with liverpool.

know a few under 12s that score one of those every weekend i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I thought Agger has done well anytime I've seen him this season, but tonight wasn't one for him. Lucky enough to get away with the challenge on Ameobi for the penalty even if it was offside. The hand balls against carra were pretty rubbish though, and the commentator started to do my nut the way he kept going on about it.

Bellamy needs a goal though before he loses it completely. Gonzalez needs to be given a run in the team rather than the last 5-10 minutes. The sooner Riise gets back the better.

The team still isn't playing to form though. Its alright beating the barcodes at home to get a bit of confidence going, but better teams would have put us to the sword tonight with all the chances we missed. I saw a statistic this morning that we've had more shots on goal than any other team this season even though we've played less games than most, but we've not being scoring. The strike ratio badly needs to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Same as the beginning of last season, lots of chances, lots of misses. Perhaps against spurs on saturday we'll take a few more of the chances and get 3, tho I'd expect Spurs to give a better account of themselves than Newcastle did. Alonso's shot would not have gone in if Harper hadn't slipped, but then if he hadn't tried it, Harper wouldn't have slipped either :)

Good to see another clean sheet, will help confidence at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Just looking at the Sky Sports ratings for the game, Parker was miles ahead of everyone in the Newcastle side and deservedly so. Only bettered by Alonso when you include Liverpool, he was his usual creative self.

No question about it, Liverpool fully deserved their two goal win despite our penalty appeals. Credit to Alonso for having the skill, vision and audacity to try that and actually beat Harper from there but Harper will be very disappointed in himself. Newcastle really need to buck up their ideas when they go to places like Anfield. It's almost a joke now how games at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford and Anfield are just a write off every season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Great goal, despite the error. It's not an easy thing for anyone to execute that level of accuracy and power from that distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was listening to radio this morning and everyone going on like he had scored from Old Trafford or something, its a good goal but nothing better than the one in the FA Cup last season when there was no goalkeeper, only difference this time was goalkeeper fell over instead of being in the same half as him. Still an open net to score into but fair play to him for trying

Still would rate the Beckham goal above it because the goalkeeper actually had a chance of saving that!!
    fade2black wrote:
    Great goal, despite the error. It's not an easy thing for anyone to execute that level of accuracy and power from that distance.

Alonso is a great passer of the ball, he pings balls further distances from one side of the pitch to the other thru out games so nothing special for him, there is loads of player in the PL and further afield that would have no problem from that distance hitting the ball into an open net. Watch Soccer AM when they have to hit the post from that distance, now thats a challange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

DaBreno wrote:
    6 points off the top. Hopefully this is the start of a Run.
    :D talk about clutching at straws they are closer to the bottom - 5 points ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Big Nelly wrote:
    Was listening to radio this morning and everyone going on like he had scored from Old Trafford or something, its a good goal but nothing better than the one in the FA Cup last season when there was no goalkeeper, only difference this time was goalkeeper fell over instead of being in the same half as him. Still an open net to score into but fair play to him for trying

There was not an empty net to shoot into though, there was a keeper who was off his line. The shot made him have to scramble back and so fall over. If he had not shot the keeper would not have fallen over. And as for not better than the one in the FA cup, he said it was himself, ball was hit straight up in the air and over the keeper, it did not bounce until it was past the keeper and in the net, there was no keeper in sight for the Luton goal.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Still would rate the Beckham goal above it because the goalkeeper actually had a chance of saving that!!

So would I, but I would do so on it's merits rather than because I have an inbred dislike for the team that one of the protagonists plays for.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Alonso is a great passer of the ball, he pings balls further distances from one side of the pitch to the other thru out games so nothing special for him, there is loads of player in the PL and further afield that would have no problem from that distance hitting the ball into an open net. Watch Soccer AM when they have to hit the post from that distance, now thats a challange

They do not have to hit the post form the halfway line, they have to hit the crossbar perhaps you should pay a little more attention to the show, and as for being able to pass it into the goal easily, did you watch the match two seasons ago where one of the best footballing talents england has produced, Paul Gascoigne, missed from the halfway line three times in a row.

@Monster, good point ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think far more important than the goal was the fact that Alonso was playing so well. He was pure shít there for a few weeks so its great that normal service is resumed. Hopefully he'll start to score a few goals in the 15-30 yard range now!

Momo improved on recent performances too, albeit still gave the ball away too much.

Bellamy and Kuyt still almost clicking but not quite. Good to see Kuyt off the mark, Bellamy needs a goal soon. Gerrard also is looking desperate for a goal and it may be affecting his performances slightly - he's been a bit greedy in the last couple of games, shooting when he shouldnt be.

The 3 points should be a confidence booster. Another (!) big game v Spurs at the weekend. Both teams will be desperate for the 3 points given the slow and slower starts. But given there's 3 tough games in a week (Galatasary at home on Wed and Bolton away next Saturday), there'll probably be some more tinkering. I'd probably like to see him give each of Crouch, Bellamy and Kuyt two starts each. I'd like to see Gonzo start v Spurs, Garcia warrants a start v the Turks and he'll probably go for Aurelio on the left side of midfield v Bolton for toughness. I'd leave Sissoko out of the Spurs game (only) and play Stevie and Xabi in the middle, but Momo is the one midfielder Rafa has never rested (yet anyway), possibly because he's had a couple of injuries and suspensions are inevitable...

• Advertisement

So would I, but I would do so on it's merits rather than because I have an inbred dislike for the team that one of the protagonists plays for.

Think you have more of a problem with me than I have with Liverpool, why do you have to be so childish everytime i post on Liverpool and not go off in your little rant, the goal was a good one and I didnt say it wasn't but from radio reports as I mentioned above you would swear he scored fro outside the stadium. Also as I mentioned for a passer of the ball with the quality Alonso has this would be very easy. Is there anything there that shows a dislike for the player or the club??? No there isnt but there is your usual childish rant because I posted anything near or about Liverpool. Grow up for once!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Excuse me ? I pointed out a number of glaring errors in your post and you accuse me of being childish. I agreed that beckhams was a better goal. I pointed out that you were wrong about hitting the post in the Soccer AM crossbar challenge (the name kinda gives the aim of the game away) and mentioned that one of the best footballers england has produced couldn't score from the halway line into an open net three times in a row. I pointed out also that the goal which was scored was considered by the scorer of said goal to be better than that against Luton (I would put him in a better position to know than you) and I have illustrated that no matter how good a player you are it is not as easy as it looks to score from inside your own half. Perhaps you should calm down and not take every deconstruction of your post as a personal attack.

Nice of you to finally admit that you have a problem with liverpool BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^^^^^^^^ *yawn*

Excuse me ?

Nice of you to finally admit that you have a problem with liverpool BTW.

Your excused:

Never said I disliked or liked Liverpool, you seem to take anyone who says anyting about Liverpool as them automatically hating the club and they are having a personal attack on yourself. As I said before grow up.
    gimmick wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^ *yawn*

Well said, its about time T4TF doesnt go on a rant everytime I post near a Liverpool thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

gimmick wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^ *yawn*
    i agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

That was a good display by Liverpool. They created chances, kept Newcastle to very few chances and this time some of our chances went in.

The first goal was a good team effort, a great visionary pass and well weighted by Alonso, a well-timed run around the back by Finnan, a good straight low cross from him into the danger area to be met by a well timed run from Kuyt. This was a typical Kuyt goal and reminiscent of many that he has scored for Feyenoord in and around the box.

Bellamy did everything but score on one of his chances, it was inches wide, and Garcia nearly scored a brilliant goal and it deserved it, showing some great control. His 'rest' seems to have done him well. So when Alonso's goal came along it was well deserved. It was well struck, I've seen him try this in other matches, eg: v PSV, where it didnt come off. Harper's stumble clearly 'helped' it in, but a shot on target from that range is good in itself. Whether it would have gone in with an upright Harper who knows. I think it will be classed as a good goal rather than a goalie's blooper. By the way, one aspect I liked about the goal was the way Alonso had to play around the ref first, sort of implying, "get out of my way ref, I'm about to have a shot on goal here from 60 yards".

Overall, 3 points well deserved and a positive step. This effort and approach needs to be maintained in the next run of league matches and hopefully a better position in the table will result which should breed further confidence.

I too would also like to see Alonso hit more from the 20-25 yard range. His lack of goals is a concern to me as it shows that he stays too deep in the match and it seems a shame as we know he has good feet and can hiot a good shot. If I was Rafa, I'd be asking him to get in and around the box more, leave the mopping up task to Sissoko (who lets face it aint got a sweet foot) and to get on the end of knock-outs, half clearences etc. Its a weapon in our armoury which we are not using.

A sideways question: are Liverpool in the Carling Cup as I dont see it in their fixture calendar?

Redspider

What did Pool fans make of Garcia's ridiculous protests after he was cautioned for punching the ball into the net? Have to say I really dislike the guy and thought his antics there were a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

TheMonster wrote:
    :D talk about clutching at straws they are closer to the bottom - 5 points ;)

Gasp! Only 5pts behind Utd in our relegation battle. Were Stayin Up! ;)

redspider wrote:
    A sideways question: are Liverpool in the Carling Cup as I dont see it in their fixture calendar?

Of course they are, clubs in Europe get a bye into the next round.

• Advertisement

http://www.nufc.com/
    This is Lampfield?

From The Guardian, Thursday:

Craig Bellamy was last night at the centre of an ugly spat with his former team-mates and Newcastle United staff as tempers boiled over in the tunnel in the wake of Liverpool's 2-0 Premiership success.

An evening spent enduring abuse from visiting fans spilled into acrimony after the final whistle as Bellamy made his way towards the dressing room. There were suggestions punches had been thrown, although the Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez was adamant the incident was little more than a verbal exchange.

"I could hear something but I couldn't understand what happened," said the Spaniard. "I really couldn't see. It was over in maybe two seconds. I think it was shouting, nothing else."

That view was reiterated by Liverpool officials and stewards.

Elsewhere it was suggested that Stephen Carr and Terry McDermott were the Newcastle protagonists, although this hasn't been (or is unlikely to ever be) confirmed.

On the night, Bellamy celebrated Dirk Kuyt's opener by giving the away support a typical indecipherable rant and shortly after the Toon following responded with chants of,
    "Sh*t scared of Shearer" and "Shearer's right, Bellamy's sh*te"

They, of course, refer to Bellamy's exit from United when Shearer sided with boss Graeme Souness and a subsequent text supposedly sent to Shearer after the FA Cup semi-final defeat to Manchester United.

The story goes that Shearer received the text while playing golf with Terry McDermott, which Terry Mac alluded to when he joined the coaching staff, commenting about Bellamy:

"People who have been here for 40 years have begged me not to let him back.

"I've never come across so much hatred and unrest over one person - what I've learned about him has astonished me."

"I have no axe to grind with Craig Bellamy, but in the six days I've been here what I've heard means I don't want to meet the guy.

"You cannot have one player thinking he can run a football club."

"Some of the things said by Craig, not just last week, but throughout his whole period at this club have been disgraceful."

It seems a fair bet that Bellers and McDermott had some catching up to do last night....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Anyone got a link to the goal????

sprinkles wrote:
    Anyone got a link to the goal????
    http://rojadirecta.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=5181

Well Done Bellamy, love that guy!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Why love an ****t? I wouldn't want to meet your mates if you're fond of him...:confused:

eirebhoy wrote:
    Why love an ****t? I wouldn't want to meet your mates if you're fond of him...:confused:

Love a ????? Bellers is a great player and a great entertainer!!!

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Love a ????? Bellers is a great player and a great entertainer!!!

Certainly show either of those qualities last night though. :confused:

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Certainly show either of those qualities last night though. :confused:

Didnt see game just the goals so cant comment on his performance last night but every game I have seen him play for Newcastle/Celtic/Blackburn/Liverpool he has been one of the best on the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Nelly wrote:
    Love a ?????
    well i got banned for using that word before (congratulations to whoever reported it) so i won't be repeating it. :) I can't talk about Bellamy without slagging him off as I can't stand the guy.

eirebhoy wrote:
    well i got banned for using that word before (congratulations to whoever reported it) so i won't be repeating it. :) I can't talk about Bellamy without slagging him off as I can't stand the guy.

Alot of people cant but I just like the guy, he is a good player which you cant argue about and got a bit of fight in him. Players like him and Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Just saw the goal... amazing stuff, Ja think that would make goal of the season??

• Advertisement
Advertisement