Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Observation on Modularisation

Options
  • 20-09-2006 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Okay so I have my core course modules and all that which leaves me with 2 electives to fill my spare time. So I had a look around and thought that I should take something that I find interesting as its only an elective. So I selected a Greek and Roman Module from level 2 "The Early Roman Empire" . I toddled along to my tutorial today and promptly discovered that I was totally lost as I hadnt taken any GRC modules in level 1 . Everyone was talking names and latin terms that I never have heard. Therefore Im forced to drop this module asap and take something advised by the archaeology department thus rendering any elective that I have no experience in in level 1 unavailable to me.

Therefore whats the point in being able to chose electives if one hasnt got the knowledge of 1st year ? Anyone else having the same experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Eh well You can still take level one electives if you're a stage 2/3 etc student. It will be a problem though in years to come (even more than now!) as there'll be a lot of demand on level one electives. Grimes do a level one greek + roman thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I notice its possible to take level 1 modules I have already completed. Can I really do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

no, you'll be told to change one if you already done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

WEll admin should stop you, but given how messed up things are they mightn't cop on. You shouldn't though. They'd contact you + make you change later when there'll be even less choice of electives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You picked a module that you didn't have the prerequisites for? That was a bit silly, if you ask me =/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Raphael wrote:
    You picked a module that you didn't have the prerequisites for? That was a bit silly, if you ask me =/

Greek and Roman a History of the Early Roman empire. Didnt see much in the way of prerequisites as I didnt think a knowledge of the later Roman empire and Roman terms would be necessary to the extent where I had to complete at least a minor in 1st year.

What I am trying to say is whats the point in have a free choice of electives when you are confined to the courses you have taken in first year. In my case Archaeology and History? Of course I could do some ****ty introduction to course from the 1st year sylabus but what exactly is the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Well if you're gonna take a stage 2 course, then it's obviously going to have prerequisets. The whole point of the free electives is you can take them from anywhere in the university. I.e. at any stage. So you can take level 0 ones the whole way through your course, or move them up with the rest of your modules and use the first year ones as prereq for the second years ones. Whichever you chose.

Advertisement