Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Next 5-series - pics

Options
  • 20-09-2006 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Ok, it's all a bit speculative (2009!!) but the important point is that BMW are rumoured to be moving away from the 'Banglised' flame surfaces, slab sides etc.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_new_car.php?sid=170&page=1

Hate the new 3-series saloon. 3-series coupe a better effort though IMO...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

has the look of the 3series about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I see they've gone bananas with the model designation:engine sizes again.
    520i = 2.5L
    525i = 3.0L
    530i = 3.0L (eh?)
    The 540 has a bigger engine than the 550 etc.

I'm not a fan of the current 3 or 5. I think I've grown used to the 5 now but I think the E46 is a much more handsome car than the new model. The coupé is close but still just shy IMO. But the biggest shock was the E30 to E36 change, I still think the 36 was the worst design they came out with. I mean aesthetically, btw, not dynamically.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Still can't beat the E30 and E28 (3 & 5 series).
    The two 3.0L versions are different in that one will have a turbo AFAIK.
    520i 218bhp 2.5-litre
    525i 238bhp 3.0-litre
    530i 272bhp 3.0-litre
    535i 306bhp 3.0-litre twin-turbo
    540i 367bhp 4.8-litre V8
    550i 408bhp 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8
    520d 175bhp 2.0-litre four
    530d 204bhp 2.5-litre six
    530d 245bhp 3.0-litre six
    535d 300bhp 3.0-litre six

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

mike65 wrote:
    Spot the diff!

Is it just me? But I can't spot anything major.... looks like a mid-life refresh to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

jayok wrote:
    Is it just me? But I can't spot anything major.... looks like a mid-life refresh to me.

Not on the front end, it's all 5 series, but take a look at the rear, they borrowed it from a hyundai sonata.

BMW5seriesCGI_2_560px.jpg

hyundai_sonata_gl_2006_exterior_5_346x270.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

milltown wrote:
    The 540 has a bigger engine than the 550 etc

That's just silly. BMW have really gone and done it this time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

it looks very very similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If they have this car already built and in prototype, then why wait till 2009 til launch... I reckon it's all media hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's so rubbish! it already looks dated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Women driver? :rolleyes:

....with hair groomed, both hands on the steering wheel and looking at the road ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Sorry, but it's horrible. They need to do something different, and FAST!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Not on the front end, it's all 5 series, but take a look at the rear, they borrowed it from a hyundai sonata.

:D Same with the current 3-series (not the coupe, I'll have a 335ci please). The arse is borrowed from some Korean design studio. I like the current BMW range apart from the 3 series saloon and the non-sport pack 5's, they've 'matured' nicely (couldn't think of a better word, sorry).
    They need to do something different, and FAST!
    In fairness, anything with above a 2.5 engine in a BMW is pretty quick nowadays, or, ultimately, is the M6 not fast enough for you?
    EDIT - or did you mean they need to design something different quickly? They're trying, Bangles designs are a bit hit and miss, but they're massively constrained by the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That's not a 2009 model. The 5 Series is due a facelift in Q1 2007. It's more than likely to be something along the lines of that. It's too similar to current product lines to be that far down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Gatster wrote:
    :D Same with the current 3-series (not the coupe, I'll have a 335ci please). The arse is borrowed from some Korean design studio. I like the current BMW range apart from the 3 series saloon and the non-sport pack 5's, they've 'matured' nicely (couldn't think of a better word, sorry).

In fairness, anything with above a 2.5 engine in a BMW is pretty quick nowadays, or, ultimately, is the M6 not fast enough for you?
    EDIT - or did you mean they need to design something different quickly? They're trying, Bangles designs are a bit hit and miss, but they're massively constrained by the market.

I meant they need something radical, quickly.

Advertisement