Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who commutes the furthest?

Options
  • 20-09-2006 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

I just had my first real late day travelling out of dublin in rush hour traffic, a real kick in the nuts! I commute from good old ashbourne, co.meath every day and have to get two busses home. Took me about 2 hours and 15 mins today, standing the whole way on both. Makes me wich i looked for accomodation!!

I was wondering if any1 has it worse off? Just some reassurance that its not so bad, really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its a mega pain in the hole. I only come from templeogue but Im in traffic for about 45 mins on the way home. It usually takes about 5 minutes. However UCD and Dr Brady in all his devinely gifted knowledge is about to introduce hourly parking rates in UCD rather than spring for the just as cheap option of giving all staff and students validated parking tickets and slapping a few automatic barriers around (like DCU) however it dosnt generate as much money as charging both students and commuters . And we all know UCD is all about the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Em 50m to UCD, bout 1km from home to the Health Sci building....

I do know there are ppl who like do be getting up at 6 commuting from Kildare + the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

for a nine o clock lecture i get up at 6.15 to get the train from drogheda

and that still has me late:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

A simple 6km drive for me, 10/15 mins with no traffic, becomes a parking lot in the mornings. Takes me a good 30 mins, 40 if its really bad. This is why im getting a bike. Bye bye car! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Got my commute back out down to just over half an hour today, usually around 45 minutes at the best though. It'd be 3 hours if I was going from home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'd be better off competing in the shortest commute competition... 10 minutes on me bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I stroll from Glen. It's a killer. ;)

Sometimes I wish I lived at home. Then I realise that I'd have to be up at half 5 to make the train, and wouldn't get home until almost 11 many nights, plus I'd have no social life.

Then I feel so glad that commuting from home just wasn't a valid option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

7 or 8 minutes from going out the garage door to locking my bike in Belfield, about 16 minutes to get to the terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

usually a 10-15 minute cycle for me. but i got the poxy 11b this morning because of the weather and it took ages. mind you if i was to commute from my parents' it'd be a good seven hours. ah cork, we hardly knew ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My friend commutes from Athy which takes her absolutely ages. Not sure of the exact time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Coming from Firhouse, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. It's a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

In first year I commuted from Kill, was getting up at 6.15am, 6am if I wanted a shower. At least the bus dropped me to Belfield so I could sleep, then again sometimes it would just drive past Kill and leave a load of us stranded. Then in the evenings it could take about 3 hrs to get home. Moved up in my second year, best thing I ever did! I don't fall asleep in every lecture now, only some of them!

Some of the lads still travel in from Naas though I don't think it's as bad, especially in the evenings now that the new road is built. In first year though I think there was someone in the class travelling in from Banbridge, Co. Down. Definately the furthest I've ever heard of someone commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I live in the Royal County too, in the town of Trim, got on-campus last year which was handy enough for getting to know people but it was a pain in the ass having the college breathing down your neck whenever you just wanted to party. This year I'm living around the corner in Donnybrook, it's great, much more freedom and a mere 5 minute walk from Richview...
    As regards coming and going home... I'm normally in Trim within 2 hours on a Friday evening and I get from my front door in Trim to my front door in Donnybrook in an hour or so on a Sunday evening... That includes 2 buses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

1hour - 1hour 10 coming in, going home about 1.5hours, i mostly stay late now so going home is back down to about 1hour.

I had a friend who came from Tullamore for all of 1st year :eek: and a couple of people who still commute from various places in Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i love this post...........:D

at least 3 hrs (and tats the best i can expect,but if there is a heavy rain or traffic........which happens very frequently) i spend my time on bus everyday.....................

i m lucky coz there is a bus directly from ratoath,co.meath to dublin........since there is only 1 of this bus per day,and it is on 7.45am....plus it suppose(which normally it takes longer) to takes 1 and half hour to reach UCD....u may realise tat i will never make it to my class at 9am on time......
    y dun i take an earlier bus get to town centre n take a no.10 bus to school?:rolleyes: the earliest bus u can get from ratoath to town is 7.15am........then take bus from town to ucd...........:rolleyes: which i may make it to school just before 9am(or normally 9.15....lolhate traffic...)
    it is fine for me but i just need to wake up at about 6.30am....i only do this for friday since there is a maths modelling on 9am.....i wont bother the others 2 maths on the others 2 days.......

plus i have 2 days of practicals which make me cant leave the school b4 6pm......there will be a bus from town to ratoath at 6.10,6.40,8.00.............
    if i lucky enough....i may take the bus on 6.40pm........or else......(which happened on tuesday..lol...i reach home at 9pm.......)

the fact is ,u just need a drive of 30mins from ratoath to ucd....BUT buses on weekdays need to pass by Ashbourne.......which is the reason it takes so long to reach ucd everyday.......lol

life is tough......

definitely going to moving down next year............:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Commute from Laois. Its a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Living in Roebuck Hall, 15 minute walk to my building tops.

But i'm from cork, if I ever had to go home and come back up for a lecture I don't think there's actually any way for me to be in UCD for nine, could probably make it for half 10, don't live in the city so train is no use to me and earliest bus i can get is 6.30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Garret wrote:
    for a nine o clock lecture i get up at 6.15 to get the train from drogheda

and that still has me late:mad:

Your mad! :eek:

Shoulda got a place to stay in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

12 minute cycle, 40 minute walk to Roebuck.

Now its bus into library, about 25/30 minutes in all if there is a bus soon (usually is with 46a)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

15 minute walk to arts, around 20 to comp sci. I'm a slow walker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

it takes me about 35 minutes from templeogue to sports centre on the bicycle by going my secret mystery route;) ;) i also take the distinct pleasure in being faster than a bus :):) the way home is a biatch tho. stupid crosswinds at rathfarnham:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I'm on the DART line about 5 mins walk from my station. 3 stops when I'm going to Vincents (about 15 mins door to door) and about 30 mins door to door when I'm in ET.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I get the 17 bus from Rathfarnham village doesn't take long to get to UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I've heard nothing but bad, evil, heartbreaking things about that bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Darcy16

Shoulda gone to Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Chakar wrote:
    I get the 17 bus from Rathfarnham village doesn't take long to get to UCD.
    That bus is evil.It somehow manages to nearly always be late.(I get it from crumlin,living in templeogue so half an hour walk to bus stop).It took the bus from 7.53 to 9.41 to get to ucd on tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Didn't think the 17 was that bad? I mean it's completely totally unreliable but I've found that once you got on it, it was decent enough.

Yeah its totally unreliable and the schedule really doesn't make sense for example the second last bus is at 21.35 and the last bus is later on at 23.15Why is there not a bus in 22.00 hours??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Darcy16 wrote:
    Shoulda gone to Trinity

no parking? rush hour traffic into college? rush hour traffic out of college? city center -> suburbs 5 days a week. Id rather be dead thanks .

• Advertisement

Grimes wrote:
    no parking? rush hour traffic into college? rush hour traffic out of college? city center -> suburbs 5 days a week. Id rather be dead thanks .

I think he means that the buses and LUAS go to the city centre pretty regularly till late so its not a problem for people.

Advertisement