Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gears- Richard Hammond in 280mph Crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Watever happened to the fat bloke that was on it the first series back? used to give tips on dealers and getting deals??

.....Jason Dawe, now co presents some show about used cars with Penny Mallory, I think its on Men & Motors !

Hope Richard recovers soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Jeremy Clarkson released a statement this morning saying that he knew how heartened Richard would be when he tells him how many drivers rolled down their windows and told Jeremy they were rooting for him.

There's been an update on SkyNews website about Jeremy's visit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

He's no longer being described as critical AFAIK, he's 'stable'.

Hope he makes a full recovery, great presenter and a nice guy IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I hope he recovers quickly and fully. A good presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Current reports indicate that his condition is improving so hopefully we'll get to see him beat Jeremy in one of their races yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

From Breakingnews.ie:
    Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond was not trying to break the British land speed record when he crashed at high speed, organisers said today.

Hammond, 36, is in a stable condition in hospital after the dragster he was driving crashed at Elvington airfield, near York yesterday.

Organisers Primetime Land Speed Engineering, which is jointly run by the current British land speed record holder, Colin Fallows, said they were “deeply shocked” by events.

A spokesman said Hammond may have been trying to go faster than Fallows’ 301mph record, but it would not have stood because there were no officials from the Automobile Association present to verify the attempt.

“We are deeply shocked by yesterday’s racing accident and our thoughts are with Richard Hammond and his family,” said spokesman Malcolm Pittwood.

Mr Pittwood said he did not know how fast Mr Hammond was going when he crashed but he was less than half way down the 1.8 mile runway when the accident happened.

He added: “The vehicle, which Richard Hammond was driving all day yesterday, had been prepared and was being operated to the highest of standards.

“Standards which we have maintained for many years in the safe operation of such vehicles.

“We are co-operating and will continue to co-operate fully with the necessary authorities in every way possible.

“But at this moment our thoughts are with Richard Hammond and his family and we are praying for his swiftest recovery.”

Mr Pittwood, who acts as a consultant for high-speed motoring events, said the Top Gear presenter had been driving Mr Fallows’ Vampire dragster – which set a new land speed record of 301mph in July.

He said Hammond had been “euphoric” after several high-speed runs down the runway and after each attempt had been getting faster and faster.

Asked by reporters how the TV star was before the crash, Mr Pittwood replied: “He didn’t say anything direct to me but his demeanour was euphoric.

“He was generally moving up through the speeds, getting faster and faster each time.”

The Vampire dragster lay upright on the airfield’s grass, to the side of the runway.

It was clear that Hammond had suddenly veered sharply to the right and hurtled at high speed across the runway before overturning and coming to rest.

The nose cone of the high-speed car had been completely destroyed in the crash and bits of debris were strewn across the airfield, close to where Hammond came to rest.

Mr Pittwood said the dragster was lying upside down when the emergency services arrived. The car was then turned over to free the TV presenter before he was rushed to hospital in Leeds.

The BBC is to launch an investigation into the incident.

A spokesman said: “The circumstances of this accident will be fully investigated by the BBC, and this process began last night.

“We will, of course, be fully co-operating with any investigation by the police and the Health and Safety Executive.

“Until the BBC’s investigation is complete, it would be inappropriate to comment on the details of what happened.”

The spokesman added: “We are pleased to hear that Richard has improved slightly overnight, but we continue to be concerned about his condition and we are keeping in touch with his family.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

From The Guardian:

Speaking at the hospital, Clarkson said today: "Richard remains in intensive care. Obviously at this time both he and his family are the most important concerns we have ... I would just like to say how heartened Richard will be when I tell him just how many motorists and truck drivers on my way here wound down their windows to say they were rooting for him. Both James [May] and I are looking forward to getting our hamster back."

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

was majorly shocked this mornin when my mam told me i put sky on straight away couldnt believe really hope he comes through this ok cause top gear without him wouldnt be watchable

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One strange thing I've noticed is that they've replaced the perennial re-runs of Top Gear on UKTV G2 today with Top of the Pops ... a little premature, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've just heard on Sky News that he has suffered 'significant brain injuries', but it looks like he'll make a good recovery according to doctors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

significant brain injuries? that dosent sound good

i hope he makes a full recovery from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

You never know TV people and you watch shows and the next day you see all the sordid details in the press, has anything ever came out about anyone on Top Gear? he seems like a genuine bloke the same way Clarkson is, you think Clarkson after all the pops he has made at everyone in the media/government/anyone they wouldnt allow a bad story go to the press with no hards feeling and try to cover up for him, no chance!!

Always sad when this sort of thing happens to the nice people and the sh*ts in life continue on. Could start to name names but I wont in case of banning, it will be terrible loss to the World not just our TV viewing!! Im just thinking about his family!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

... awh this is terrible sky news is reporting he has brain injury :( . I betya the safety ppl will rip top gear to shreds now :(:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

ando wrote:
    ... awh this is terrible sky news is reporting he has brain injury :( . I betya the safety ppl will rip top gear to shreds now :(:(
    Doctors: "However, we are reasonably optimistic that he will make a good recovery."

Assume the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Really sad news, but please God he'll at least be able to live a normal life, if not stunt drive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

ando wrote:
    I betya the safety ppl will rip top gear to shreds now :(:(

Irrespective of what happens to Hammond, I really fear this could be the end of Top Gear as we know it. It was only because of it's massive popularity that it hung in there despite political pressure, environmentalists etc.

Much as I love the show I could live with this if Hamster is able to make a good recovery.
    ando wrote:
    Doctors: "However, we are reasonably optimistic that he will make a good recovery."

Lots of top-line racing drivers have recovered from brain injuries. Hakkinen the best example.

Doctors usually err on the side of caution. Only concern is the description of "significent" brain injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was thinking about Top Gears fate, an accident has caused a show to be axed by the beeb before now (Late Late Breakfast Show) I think its fare to say the next series is already compromised by the crash regardless of Hammonds fortunes.

Do they carry on with whats already "in the can" and then tone it down in the editing while the studio material goes back to 'boring stuff'? Or should they simply cancel this series and wait?

e-mail the Top Gear studio

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Rté were reporting brain damage :(

From the Top Gear site:

September 21, 2006
    Jeremy arrives at Leeds

Jeremy and James have arrived at Leeds General Infirmary to visit Richard and his family.

Jeremy told TopGear.com: "Richard remains in intensive care. Obviously at this time both he and his family are the most important concerns we have. It must be devastating for his wife Mindy and his two utterly adorable children.

"I would just like to say how heartened Richard will be when I tell him just how many motorists and truck drivers on my way here wound down their windows to say they were rooting for him. Both James and I are looking forward to getting our Hamster back."

In addition, we've already received a number of emails at TopGear.com wishing Richard well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Yep Say bye bye to top gear lads the health and safety nutters and environmentalists will murder it now

We can’t be having risk and fun now can we? you might hurt your self or kill a flower :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Sorry people but at this stage we shouldnt worry about our TV viewing and the life of a great presentor, I can live and I am sure most of you can without hamster on TV as long as hamster is ok and can look after his family! remember people if this happened to you or someone in your family the last thing you would worry about is if your there company closed a deal/made a few extra quid/was on TV again

This is a man health and althou I am one of the most avid TopGear watchers since even before the new series I would never put a TV program above a father life, prob more sensible since I am a dad but TV and jobs are less imprtant than life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

best of luck richard get well soon.best wishes too his family and all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

ninty9er wrote:
    Really sad news, but please God he'll at least be able to live a normal life, if not stunt drive

I'm with 99er on this one. Much as I like Top Gear if I didn't see these kind of stunts I could live with it. Especially when something like this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

From Sky News:
    Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond suffered a "significant brain injury" when he crashed a high-speed car, a hospital source has said.

But doctors at Leeds General Infirmary, where the 36-year-old is in a serious but stable condition, say they are "reasonably optimistic" he will make a good recovery.

Hammond was travelling at about 300mph when the Vampire jet-powered dragster he was driving overturned yesterday.

He had been airlifted to Leeds General Infirmary from the crash site at Elvington airfield, near York.

In a statement, the Hospital Trust said: "Mr Hammond has suffered a significant brain injury. It's still giving cause for concern as it is still early after the injury.

"However, we are reasonably optimistic that he will make a good recovery."

Richard Hammond The show's makers, the BBC, police and the Health and Safety Executive are launching inquiries.

Superintendent Martin Deacon, from North Yorkshire Police, said: "Anybody travelling at that degree of speed, I would say, is probably fortunate to be alive, and clearly there are measures the organisers will have taken to ensure his safety."

Mr Hammond's wife Amanda and a brother are at the hospital.

Fellow Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson said: "James May (another presenter) and I are at the hospital in Leeds where Richard remains in intensive care.

"Obviously at this time both he and his family are the most important concerns we have.

"It must be devastating for his wife Mindy and his two utterly adorable children.

Clarkson arrives at hospital "I would just like to say how heartened Richard will be when I tell him just how many motorists and truck drivers on my way here wound down their windows to say they were rooting for him. Both James and I are looking forward to getting our hamster back."

At the airfield today the wreckage was covered with a green tarpaulin as investigations were launched into how the accident happened.

Dave Ogden, one of the first on the scene, said Hammond had been travelling at speeds close to 300mph.

"One of the parachutes had deployed but it went on to the grass and spun over and over before coming to a rest about 100 yards from us."

Sky sources understand that co-presenter James May had been due to drive the Vampire but pulled out ahead of the event.

The current British land speed record is held by Colin Fallows, from Northampton, in the car which reached 300.3mph in 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Hopefully he'll pull through. He really has been one of the most entertaining UK tv stars.

Gell well soon hamster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Get well Soon Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

Get well soon Richard Hammond

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Let's hope hammie will pull through.
    Top Gear just wouldn't be the same without him
    It will a shame if they pull Top gear off the BBC for this.
    They take risks in all their stunts, this one just was unlucky.
    Wonder if they will stop the repeats of the last series on BBC2 now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

get well soon hamster.

Advertisement