Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Top Gears- Richard Hammond in 280mph Crash

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

He's the best presenter on the show, I hear he's stable now but still haven't heard the extent of the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They make it sound like he's fighting fit and ready to do a marathon with their upbeat sounds, but if you listen to thew words, they say "good recovery" instead of "full recovery". Just hope he'll be okay.

I really hope of all things his personality is unaffected, he'll probably make a better recovery than anyone expects because he seems like one of those people that won't let life's obstacles get in his way.

Get well soon Hamster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

ando wrote:
    ... awh this is terrible sky news is reporting he has brain injury :( . I betya the safety ppl will rip top gear to shreds now :(:(

. . . which is long overdue (and sadly probably too late for Mr Hammond), as the childish and schoolboyish mentality displayed in the show is hardly conducive to good safety practice. An impact at 280mph is one hell of an impact, very difficult to mitigate against potential injuries when taking on speeds like this. Guys like him may laugh at the pink Micra convertibles, but there is nothing to laugh about brain injuries.

Somehow I don't see this programme being allowed to run after this. The insurance alone will probably kill it dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

UKTV is not showing TopGear as a mark of respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

shoegirl wrote:
    . . . which is long overdue (and sadly probably too late for Mr Hammond), as the childish and schoolboyish mentality displayed in the show is hardly conducive to good safety practice. An impact at 280mph is one hell of an impact, very difficult to mitigate against potential injuries when taking on speeds like this. Guys like him may laugh at the pink Micra convertibles, but there is nothing to laugh about brain injuries.

Somehow I don't see this programme being allowed to run after this. The insurance alone will probably kill it dead.

Well I guess from ur name ur a girl, TopGear is a lads program and it is biased towards that, even my girlfriend hates it but knows on a Sunday nite between 8 and 9 I will watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Big Nelly wrote:

?

If I was a presenter, i would have preffered the opposite reaction.

prospect wrote:
    ?

If I was a presenter, i would have preffered the opposite reaction.

If it was me I'd think I'm not dead, why a mark of respect, keep showing it at regular times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

shoegirl wrote:
    . . . which is long overdue (and sadly probably too late for Mr Hammond), as the childish and schoolboyish mentality displayed in the show is hardly conducive to good safety practice.

Although I am not a regular Top Gear watcher, I always thought Richard Hammond was the best of the three presenters, and it is awful what has happened him.

What I would hate though is if certain people seized upon this horrific accident for their own ends. There is danger associated with everything, and even a relaxed ride on a horse can have tragic consequences, as Christoper Reeve found out.

Because people dislike Top Gear shouldn't be a reason for it to end up like the various RTE incarnations where the most exciting thing they did was compare the relative fuel economy of superminis. If Top Gear does die, it won't be because of health and safety, but because of vested interests who believe TV should be anaesthetised and appeal only to the lowest common denoninator.

Ray Darcy Today FM: Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond has been released from Intensive care, but is still under observation

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hope he gets well. I'm worried about the "significant brain injury" he is said to have suffered :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

Richard will be grand...but hes f u c k ed.......Top gear will be back on the screens but maybe not with dickie himself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

cwynnes wrote:
    Richard will be grand...but hes f u c k ed.......Top gear will be back on the screens but maybe not with dickie himself :)

How do you come to that conclusion?? You've seen his medical charts? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Big Nelly wrote:

And Sky are not showing Braniac

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cwynnes

Trotter wrote:
    How do you come to that conclusion?? You've seen his medical charts? :rolleyes:

I could go on about The power of positive thinking but thats only s h i t e, its just what i think....iv been readin all over the net and its my conclusion...like it or lump it :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ive heard of several people getting brain injuries and they never fully recover. one guy could talk to you for 20 minutes and then say to you who are you??
    he fell off a bike.
    i doubt richard hammond will ever be the same again but i wish him luck in his recovery. he is a great presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=15103http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=15103

According to this PH article he smiled at Clarksons jibe, so hopefully it looks like despite his brain injury he knows who Clarkson is and maybe what he was doing. Have to hope he'll be as close to 100% Ok as soon as possible.

Not my usual tack but if anybody is feeling generous donate to the Hamster-lift air ambulance charity here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Peaches & Creme

cwynnes wrote:
    I could go on about The power of positive thinking but thats only s h i t e, its just what i think....iv been readin all over the net and its my conclusion...like it or lump it :):):)

Exactly! Im so sick of peoples negative jibes. We have to think positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

get well soon hamster. looking forward to watching you on top gear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Ironically, somehow the UTV internet news story on the Hamster at lunch time happened to have an ad for Direct Line car insurance embedded in it...
    http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?pt=e&id=11139

Image2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hampster out of intensive care! :)

from bbc
    A Leeds General Infirmary spokesman said: "Doctors say Richard Hammond is making satisfactory progress.

"This morning he has been moved from intensive care on to a high dependency unit.

"His condition has been downgraded from 'serious but stable' to 'stable'."

The doctors treating Mr Hammond have previously said they are "reasonably optimistic" he will make a good recovery.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

mike65 wrote:
    Hampster out of intensive care! :)

from bbc

Mike.
    That's good. I hope he doesn't suffer any type of brain damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

shoegirl wrote:

Ah you are talking out your arze.

Sure people are killed in plane crashes, so maybe we should out law air travel.

And, hasn't there been a spate of young adults dying playing football and soccer matches recently, so maybe we should stop all physical sports.

Also, i heard a story once where a guy chocked on a chocolate bar, so lets ban them.

etc,

etc,

EVERYTHING you do in life carries a danger, so you simply can not ban everything that results in an injury or fatality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Just want to add my wishes for a speedy recovery. The guiy is great and is a real treat to watch on TV. Genuinely funny guy, and the combination of Hamster, May & Clarkson equals some of the funniest tv viewing I've seen.

And on I side note, to all the whingers who say ban TG etc....
    If anyone with a passion for fast cars got a chance to drive the Vampire, there is no way you could pass it up. Everyone knows the risks, but that would be an opportunity that couldn'y be turned down.
    I know I would not pass it up.......risks and all!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Get well soon hampster. Hope to see ya kick Clarksons a$$ in a race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Get well soon hampster. Hope to see ya kick Clarksons a$$ in a race
    it doesnot look like he will be back for ages even if he gets better.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Some good news , he has been moved from intensive care:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5371556.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Two words: Mika Hakkinen. He recovered from a serious accident and went on to become F1 World Champion. Granted he's the exception but it should not be taken for granted that everyone sustaining a serious brain injury is going to end up with impaired abilities. Whatever about driving fast and presenting tv, I hope he gets back to his family as the husband and dad that they know and love. Sod the rest, it only pays the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Captain Slow said he was able to have a perfectly normal chat with the Hampster and reckons he seems fine (James May noted he was'nt a doctor).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Apparently he's been walking. Yay!

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article1705607.ece

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

don't know to take this with a pinch of salt but Galaxy FM in the UK have just said that he got up in the middle of the night early yesterday morning and went to the loo and ask what had happened? Legend.

Just found the link , seems it was in the mirror this morning , now for the bad news top gear is being held back and wont air on the 1st of October.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17806217&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=walked--talked--smiled--name_page.html

Advertisement