Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryder Cup Prediction Poll

• 20-09-2006 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Who will win 23 votes

Europe
    0% 0 votes
    Draw
    86% 20 votes
    USA
    13% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I disagree. :D

The European team is stronger all round and IMO they will win but it will not be a rout like 2 years ago. Europe have the higher average world ranking and I fancy the Irish lads to play great stuff. I have a feeling Harrington and McGinley might be facing Tiger and Furyk on the first tee at 8am on Friday. What a cracker if it happens.

Edit: Someone went for a draw...worth a few quid at 11/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

I concur with bucks, europe for the win. On paper nearly ever team than munster play are better that them, still munster win, why? synergy, attitude and the 13th man. The european team will have every1 wishing them well, and after Leamans snub to the fans 2day this will be more so, and finally if the weather is as bad as today, the british and irish players should excell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Such a depth of experience in the Euro team, two strong rookies, such obvious naturally strong pairings I cannot see the US as winning, even the weather is turning to our advantage.
    My only fear for this RC is that all this team can do is lose.
    Europe all the way, I predict a serious lead heading into Sunday and a reasonably 50/50 exchange of points in the singles.
    Hope to fek it doesn't go into Monday cause I've just tomorrow off, to miss the singles Live would be unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Given the Yanks have three strong pairings in Woods/Furyk, Mickelson/DiMarco and Toms/Campbell, I can see them leading after Saturday - although the more windy it is the more likely Europe are to do better.

I fancy Europe to win the singles though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭charlesanto

I've spent a while trying to work out who the winning team will be ...
    I believe there is nothing to split these two teams, except luck ...
    It's basically a flip of a coin, althought if you were to flip the coin 11 times i think the Europeans would win 6 outta the eleven.

Based on the above i think smart betting, if you fancy a flutter would bet as follows ...

€5 for the tie at 10/1 ==> €55 return
    €5 on Eur to win 6.5 to 5.5 at 11/2 ==> €30 return
    €5 on Amer to win 6.5 to 5.5 at 13/2 ==> €35 return
    €5 on Eur to win 7 to 5 at 13/2 ==> €35 return

So for a €20 outlay, min return is €30 (implied odds 1/2)
    max return is €55 (implied odds 7/4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Europe to win, very strong team. Looking forward to it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I would say the europeans are stronger individually and as a whole.

The USA team have the problem that they have 2 or 3 brilliant players who win the majority of tournaments, then a large skills gap to the remainder of the team.
    However the european tour has a more spread out selection of moeny winners meaning a higher average skillset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

I've spent a while trying to work out who the winning team will be ...
    I believe there is nothing to split these two teams, except luck ...
    It's basically a flip of a coin, althought if you were to flip the coin 11 times i think the Europeans would win 6 outta the eleven.

Based on the above i think smart betting, if you fancy a flutter would bet as follows ...

€5 for the tie at 10/1 ==> €55 return
    €5 on Eur to win 6.5 to 5.5 at 11/2 ==> €30 return
    €5 on Amer to win 6.5 to 5.5 at 13/2 ==> €35 return
    €5 on Eur to win 7 to 5 at 13/2 ==> €35 return

I'm not trying to be pedantic here but surely you know that 14.5 points is the magic number here as there are 8 pts up for grabs on Friday and Saturday and 12 singles matches on Sunday which makes 28 points in total.

Funny enough I read the same thing in the star today about predictions and were only adding up to 12 pts too so unless I missed some change in the scoring/schedule then I think your sums are wrong.

Either way I think the Europeans will win it mainlt because of the team spirit and lack of any major egos but it will be very tight and probably only a point or two in it though. And it will make for some exciting viewing come Sunday afternoon.

*EDIT. Yippee 100th post:D

Advertisement