Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTFS and Web permissions on iis 6

Options
  • 20-09-2006 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I am currently working on a document server and am having problems with permissions on directories.
    I want to be able to display pdf documents within my web pages, but stop people from browsing directly to them, what permissions do i have to set to do this.

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

The thing to look for is 'Directory browsing' - just turn that off perhaps?

DirectoryBrowsing1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

thanks, but I've already tried that, but its still possible to open the PDF document if you have the full url.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Ok, I misunderstood by what you meant by displaying them. Unless you feed the user byte-by-byte the PDF with the correct mimetype set, you'll probably need to allow the users to view and thus download them.

How do you mean for users to view the PDFs?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

chalky wrote:
    thanks, but I've already tried that, but its still possible to open the PDF document if you have the full url.

As regi says, to avoid users finding out where the document is, you'd have to write a script which feeds the document to them byte-by-byte. That's not overly difficult, but a little pointless unless you really don't want them to be able to call up the documents directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

to avoid direct linkage the simplest thing can be to just put in a htaccess file which requires the referrer to be from the same domain. Its easily beatable by someone who know's what they are doing, but for the OP's purposes i'd say it'd do nicely

Though this being IIS and not apache i imagine some sort of ISAPI filter can probally achieve the same effect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

If it's IIS and .Net then a HttpHandler will do what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Thanks all.
    I wrote the script to feed the document byte by byte. It seems to work well. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement