Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars Free This Weekend

Options
  • 20-09-2006 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

http://eu.guildwars.com/

Don't need to say much, cept get there and get downloading =)

EDIT: Instructions down the page a little

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Nice find...

Will be going back to Guild wars for this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

is it free for people who haven't previously bought the game tho?..i went to the 'download the client' section and did so, when i ran the installer and set up the account it let me as far as the character selection screen then said my account wasn't valid for gameplay.
    I'm sure i misunderstood something but some enlightenment from wiser people would help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I'm not sure if it is completely open to people who don't have a copy of the game or a guest key, but if it is you won't be able to access it until the preview starts, which is tomorrow I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Heres how you sign up...

1. Download the client here http://eu.guildwars.com/support/category/listing/download_client/

2. Run set up, let it update and all that. You will eventually got to a 3d menu screen where you will set up your account. Set it up then ;)

3. Return to main menu. There should be a line of text you can click saying something alone the lines of "Activate CD Key" or something. Click it!

4. Enter one of the cd keys from this page http://eu.guildwars.com/support/article/cl_gwn

And thats it. Wait until tomorrow, and you can play Guild Wars free for the weekend. Enjoy :D

nice one, thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

nice one gonna check this out..thanx

EDIT: i made an account and all that including puting the serial code in but when i get to the character screen i get a message saying im not suthorised to play the game..is it because were only allowed play the wekend and not today?

same happened here..not sure why tbh

just checked the official site, apparently they've been having problems with patch distribution, so they're doing it manually one server at a time.
    This was on the u.s. site but i guess it's the same wherever you are , as i 've also checked on some fansite forums and even players with paid accounts can't get on.

Having problems myself :(

I dont know when this will be fixed, or postponed to another weekend, but it's looking like no free guild wars after all :(

darth i finally got in yesterday evening , maybe give it a shot again today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah its working now..was playing for a while today but i didnt find it that good mainly because these kinda games take along while to build up your powers and thats what makes ya wanna play more but this only avable for 2 days so theres no pouint :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Playing it atm it is pretty but also a pain in the arse, certain items just won't respond when you try and activate them.
    Poxy catapults.

I said it was free, I didnt say it was going to be fun :p

Well Ill try it later on, and give my 2 cents

it's not bad, espesialy when you consider there's no monthly fee, but then, from what i can see there's not much of a community feeling there, so i f you're into the social aspect of mmorpgs then it might feel a little flat..then again i've not played a full version and maybe being in a guild changes all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

well due to the fact it is an trail run in a new section there wont be that much of a community at first. I am enjoying it thus far and am giving some consideration to buying the game .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well if you wanted to give the game a good go longer term you can pick up the first one for around 15-16 euro in game and I'm sure factions will drop pricewise in stores fast as well.
    For a MMORPG is nice in that there's no monthly fee although you do have to upgrade each time for teh new content which differs from say eve.

yeh thinking about it alright...altho there's some interesting sounding stuff coming up next year, particularly age of conan...i may just hang on for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I'm gonna give it a go. Currently downloading the files.

I was considering buying it since there's no monthly fee. That's what really got to me about MMORPGs. It's why I quit playing them

I saw it in Game cork for 30 yo yos, but Im pretty sure it was 20 euro in virgin. What game shop was it on sale for 15?

Factions is a little bit expensive atm, but after the release of this expansion (nightfall) it will go down quick hopefully..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Is this offer over now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

No, its for the whole weekend afaik. Which probably means it will end sometime on monday...

Personally I'm not liking it a whole lot. Prophecies was great, the single player the professions everything. There were a few minor things that really bugged me (the aggro system for one) but overall, I loved the game.

Factions was quite respectable too, I enjoyed the professions, even if I found ritualist quite difficult to get my head around. Overall, it was quite descent, even if I didnt feel it was worth paying 30+ quid for.

But Nightfall... I dont like the professions at all, I cant quite put my finger on it :(

The dervish is quite interesting a profession, but I just dont find it all that enjoyable...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

DarthWraak wrote:
    I saw it in Game cork for 30 yo yos, but Im pretty sure it was 20 euro in virgin. What game shop was it on sale for 15?

I just bought the original for €15 in Game on Dawson street. Nightfall wasn't even out apparently...

I dont think night fall should be out. This free thingus this weekend is a public play test of nightfall. And I wouldnt bother with it just yet. Im gona get the game, and maybe factions if the price goes down

Advertisement