Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

modifying cars as a hobbie/career??

Options
  • 20-09-2006 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi i recently discovered the joy of cars.me and a friend of mine have been looking into customizing cars.he has a 00 renault clio,4 door .i think he might trade it in.i dont even have a license or know how to drive,im also only 19.but i have some money saved and its going to waste gradually so i would now like to get a car with the money and do it up.its seems quite fun and quite a good hobby buying cars and customizeing them.but also an expensive hobbie,so even if i didnt make money by doing it as long as i didnt lose loads i wouldnt mind.so in time i want to buy a car ,customize it and then sell it.i was wondering if someone could give me advice on doing this or if there are books or other places where i could get info on it.thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Best place to learn pretty much anything is the Internet to be honest. There is a vast catalog of information on what to do, how to go about it and also what not to do. Some people have very bad taste or a serious lack of sense when it comes to modified cars.

Having not read any modified car magazines in quite a few years I cannot comment on their advise. I would suggest car or manufacturer specific enthusiast sites are the best place to start.

A site I spent alot of time reading when I had my first car and began modifing it was corsasport.co.uk. On any of these type of websites you will find a wealth of information and frankly anything you could ever think of doing yourself someone has done it before and can help you along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Join up on the site in my Sig and trawl thru the threads and it will give you a starting idea.Look at the features section and you'l see how owners set out there plans for cars and what actually equiptment is being used in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

i learned alot from magazines and que the laughing but max power gave me a tonne of info on things like fitting alloys to fitting a basic body kit and even the basics of doing a small install in the boot. and using that info i done one in my friends car and am planning something for my car. the net and haynes manuals have tonnes of info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Buying a car and modifying it, it's not going to give a real income, as the value of the car depreciates as soon as you start taking the original parts off.

If you like them and want to do it, then do it for your own joy. Everybody has some sort of hobby, and modifying cars is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

1st of all.. Modifing a car falls under a few different catagories..

Show car - will cost you a fortune and it will be very delicate for irish roads.. I did a civic last year, put 25k of extra's on it.. Mag featured etc.

Performance - again will cost you a fortune as performance parts dont come cheap! They there is Upkeep and fuel........

ICE - in car entertainment. - the lads never seem to be happy with the systems they put together.. and always upgrading or rewiring something!

• Advertisement
Advertisement