Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy has just been spayed

Options
  • 20-09-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

My puppy has just been spayed today, she's not too bad but has been very subdued and drowsy since she came home (to be expected). The Vet said that she did well but she was really cold and shivering when she got home. We've warmed her up and she has drunk a little water. Her stitches have to come out in 10days.

I'm just wondering what to expect over the next few days, how much do I have to limit her activity, when will she be back on her food etc. I was just so relieved to get her back when I was in the vets that I forgot to ask :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

She'll come around in the next day or two : it varies, depending on age, size, breed, etc. She'll probably eat a small bit of food tomorrow. Mash it up a lot. Keep giving her plenty of fresh water. Does she have a cone (to prevent her attacking the stitches)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

it will take about 24 to 36 hours for her to come around fully
    take it easy for the the next few days while the wound heels so a small walk in about two days and try not let her jump hope this helps the food thing she will eat when ready i would say tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You need to keep her from jumping at all until the stiches come out because obviously they could come out, also make sure that she doesn't pull at them either. Just try and watch her, she might be licking it clean but sometimes might tug at it. A cone like Karoma suggested is probably best if you can't keep a watch over her all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

i never used cones / busters on mine. I would only use it as a last resort - they are not comfortable on the dog and they bump into stuff with them !
    It took my bitches around 2-3 days to be back to madness.
    I did however give them a light diet of turkey / chicken and rice.
    That was on my vets advice though.

She'll be fine in no time and well done for getting her spayed

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

both our dogs are neutered......Jess came around and was bouncing around the place after about 4/5 hours, Sheba took about a day. Normally they will just be feeling a little sorry for themselves. Try and not let her lick her stitches and keep the area as clean and dry as possible to cut down the risk of infection.

In a matter of days they will be flying around with not a care in the world. It took 4 of us to hold our Jess still enough so that we could get her stitches out, :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Thank you all who have replied.

My puppy is a 11mth old boxer. I know that she is being spayed a little late but she was booked in at 8 and a half months and went into heat a few days later so this has been the first chance we got to book her in again.

She's perked up a little bit there today. She has drunk and eaten a little. But is nowhere near her usual self. I think that while she didn't have a really bad reaction to the anaesthetic I don't think it agreed with her at all. She's sleeping a lot and has no interest in her stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

If you are still worried tomorrow, if I were you I'd bring her back to vet for checkup.
    Id say trust your instincts.

B

Advertisement