Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway on small budget

Options
  • 21-09-2006 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

I can't afford tarmac at the moment and I need to get something to make my driveway look a bit presentable are there any cheaper alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apart from carpet leftovers hows about a bit of concrete with a few bits of crushed granite thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

How about crushed limestone over Clause 804 (i think 804 is the correct number). Will do grand and is relatively good value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If you have a good base an alternative to tarmac is "tar and chip", it can also form part of the base for a tarmac finish later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

damiand wrote:
    How about crushed limestone over Clause 804 (i think 804 is the correct number). Will do grand and is relatively good value

'Scuse my ignorance damiand but what's Clause 804 exactly?

I have some in my driveway, it's crushed stone, max size approx 2cm diameter and dust and everything in between. No foreign matter in it just the stony material, not sure what type of stone it is!

It's normally used over the rough hardcore (3" down) in floors, just below the sand blinding & DPC.

I am using it as a temporary driveway until the house is completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Hi Eamon234.

Its as donal described. The council and road builders use it as an underlay on which tar is laid. When compacted it provides a very stable base, hard to believe but hard as concrete. AS far as I am concerned its crushed granet stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

804 Hardcore is available in various grades, typically for dometic drives 2" (5 cm) and is AFAIK limestone/Basalt, certainly not granite.

There is also a hardcore dust available for blinding the 804, which effectively seals the 804 giving a smooth and stable surface for the final layer of decorative stone. If done properly and compacted well to approx 25mm(1"), the blinding provides an excellent temporary but very resilient driveway/footpath surface.

Blinding over hardcore not required for concreting, but will not cause any problems if you wish to pour concrete on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

re 804 see http://www.roadstone.ie/products/Stone/Aggregates.htm

in passing I think there is an error on the site as there is no difference shown between 803 and 804.

I think one of them should be 50mm down.

Anyway they work V well on their own as stated else where on this post

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

will this give suitable base for cobblelock?

i.e put this down now so concretelorries diggers etc have a good ground to work on then when all work is finished recompact it and put cobblelock down on sand

Advertisement