Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems reinstalling Windows

• 21-09-2006 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Bought a Dell Inspiron 9400 but the loada junk software that came pre-installed with it inspired me to reinstall Windows just to get rid of it all. So I ran the Windows Media Center Edition cd, which gave me the option of a new installation. All's going fine and I reinstall. Baiscally, to cut a long story short, it seems to have installed a second Windows without actually uninstalling or overwriting the first. I have two hard drives (C:/ and D:/) and I think this might be the problem - it has put the new installation on D:/ instead of C:/. Would I be correct? When I go to restart the pc it asks me which operating system I would like to use, and it gives me two options. I presume one is that installed on the C:/ drive and the other is that installed on the D:/ drive?

I've formatted the D:/ drive and am gonna go about reinstalling the operating system on C:/ to see if that solves the problem. But I'm just wondering, should I format the C:/ drive before installing the OS on it, or would the installation just automatically format it or overwrite it? Would it be a good idea or would it be dangerous to format the C:/ drive, even if I am just gonna reinstall Windows onto it directly afterwards anyway?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

When you are asked where you want to install Windows, select the C drive - thats where the original Windows installation is. Do select formatting the drive, a quick format should get you by.
    would it be dangerous to format the C:/ drive
    Only if there is anything on it you want to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭defenstration

Cheers, will do that so. Just one more thing though - now every time I restart the computer, I'm being asked to choose my OS from the following 3 options:
    Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Windows XP Professional Setup

I never got this before I tried reinstalling. The first time I installed, there were only 2 options (the last 2). If I choose the first option, I am brought into my new installation (although that doesn't work now since I formatted the D:/ drive). If I choose the seond option I'm brought back to the original installation with loadsa useless Dell software! And if I choose the third option, I'm being brought into what seems to be setup for XP Professional (which doesn't work cos the installation cd I have is for XP Media Center Edition).
    Basically, I'm wonderin how do I get rid of these options so that I'm not prompted to choose every single time I startup the computer? I doubt reinstalling on the C:/ drive alone will do it cos like I said, even after formatting the D:/ drive, the option for that drive/installation is still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Right click on My Computer, select Properties, select Advanced and then Settings under Startup and Recovery. Select the operating system that you are using from the drop-down menu under default operating systems. Also untick the box beside "Time to display list of operating systems:"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

That should be corrected by the new installation. After you reinstall you should be brought straight into MCE (afaik - never installed the MCE edition myself).

Thanks for the help lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Start->run->msconfig. Click on Boot.ini. Then click on "check all boot paths". This will remove any dead boot paths.

I have Windows installed on the D:/ drive but want to move it to the C:/ drive. So before doing so, I figure it's a good idea to format the C:/ drive cos even with everything deleted off it, there's still nearly 2GB of used space for some reason. But when I try to format it, I get a popup telling me:
    "Windows was unable to complete the format"
    No reason provided. I only get this error after it seems to have gone through the whole formatting (- the indicator has reached the very end after about 20 minutes, and then I get this error), although if I tick 'Quick Format', I get the error straight away.

Anyone know why this is happening?
    And if not, is there any was of freeing the last of that space on the C:/ drive, or is it normal that there should be that much used space (drive in full contains about 57GB)?

irlrobins wrote:
    Start->run->msconfig. Click on Boot.ini. Then click on "check all boot paths". This will remove any dead boot paths.

That seems to work alright, but only when the Windows startup is set to Selective Mode. If I switch back to Normal Mode, then the options appear again. Would it be ok to start Windows in selective mode every time or what are the drawbacks of it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Is your pagefile on your c drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Merge and move to windows forum.

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    Is your pagefile on your c drive?

searched the hard drives for pagefile and found pagefileconfig. Is that what yer talking about? It's on my D:/ drive, where the rest of my OS is - I'm trying to format my C:/ drive so I can move (or rather just put a new) Windows installation on it, but as ya can see from my post above, I'm having trouble doing that also!

I have Windows installed on the D:/ drive but want to move it to the C:/ drive. So before doing so, I figure it's a good idea to format the C:/ drive cos even with everything deleted off it, there's still nearly 2GB of used space for some reason. But when I try to format it, I get a popup telling me:
    "Windows was unable to complete the format"
    No reason provided. I only get this error after it seems to have gone through the whole formatting (- the indicator has reached the very end after about 20 minutes, and then I get this error), although if I tick 'Quick Format', I get the error straight away.

Anyone know why this is happening?
    And if not, is there any was of freeing the last of that space on the C:/ drive, or is it normal that there should be that much used space (drive in full contains about 57GB)?

It's actually 5GB of used space still there and the capacity of the drive is only 50GB. Anyway of freeing up more space or preferably, of formatting the drive?

I tried formatting the C:/ drive in Disk Management also, but the option was greyed out. In Disk Management, the C:/ drive is given the notation:
    Healthy (System)
    whereas my D:/ drive (where the OS is installed) has the notation:
    Healthy (Boot)

Would the "System" notation have anything to do with the fact that I cannot format the C:/ drive? Does that mean there are system files still present on the drive or sumthin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I tried formatting the C:/ drive in Disk Management also, but the option was greyed out. In Disk Management, the C:/ drive is given the notation:
    Healthy (System)
    whereas my D:/ drive (where the OS is installed) has the notation:
    Healthy (Boot)

Would the "System" notation have anything to do with the fact that I cannot format the C:/ drive? Does that mean there are system files still present on the drive or sumthin?

Yes. Basically what's happened is that you have multiple copies of windows. Some are installed on your D:\, and some are installed on your C:\. Your D:\ has taken over as the boot drive. What this means is that when your computer starts up, it looks to the D:\ for the initial information as regards what OSes are installed, and where to find them. Your C:\ is your System drive, because that's where the windows files reside for the OS which you are currently. If you want to format the C:\, you need to boot into a version of windows which has its files on the D:\.

seamus wrote:
    Yes. Basically what's happened is that you have multiple copies of windows. Some are installed on your D:\, and some are installed on your C:\. Your D:\ has taken over as the boot drive. What this means is that when your computer starts up, it looks to the D:\ for the initial information as regards what OSes are installed, and where to find them. Your C:\ is your System drive, because that's where the windows files reside for the OS which you are currently. If you want to format the C:\, you need to boot into a version of windows which has its files on the D:\.

Cheers Seamus, but how do I get the system files from C:\ to D:\? I installed Windows on the D:\ drive and any chance I got during the installation, I pointed to the D:\ drive, so why then were the system files put on C:/? Ok, the OS had previously been on the C:/ drive (while installing it on the D:/ drive), so maybe the installation saw that the system files were already on C:\ and thought there was no need to put them on D:\ also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers Seamus, but how do I get the system files from C:\ to D:\? I installed Windows on the D:\ drive and any chance I got during the installation, I pointed to the D:\ drive, so why then were the system files put on C:/? Ok, the OS had previously been on the C:/ drive (while installing it on the D:/ drive), so maybe the installation saw that the system files were already on C:\ and thought there was no need to put them on D:\ also?

Each installation of windows installs its own files. There is probably an installation of windows on the D:\. Have a look on that drive for a Windows or Windows.X folder. What you need to do is; Go to Start, then Run. Type "notepad c:\boot.ini". Paste the contents of that file up here. Do not make any changes to it :)

Will do that tonight so - don't have access to my laptop at the mo. Thanks.

seamus wrote:
    Each installation of windows installs its own files. There is probably an installation of windows on the D:\. Have a look on that drive for a Windows or Windows.X folder. What you need to do is; Go to Start, then Run. Type "notepad c:\boot.ini". Paste the contents of that file up here. Do not make any changes to it :)

First of all, there's a Windows folder in the D:\ drive. There was one in the C:\ drive as well before I deleted everything from the drive. The following is what in contained in C:\boot.ini:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Advertisement