Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they f*cking serious?

• 21-09-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/20/dubious-rumor-gran-turismo-hd-to-ship-without-cars-or-tracks/
    Gran Turismo HD will supposedly see release in two versions. The first, entitled Gran Turismo HD: Premium, amounts to nothing more than a demo of, you guessed it, Gran Turismo 5. The 30 included cars and two undoubtedly exciting tracks are rendered in pristine PS3 glory and are meant to give you a solid idea of what Yamauchi and friends are putting together for a full release in 2008. Two more tracks and 30 extra cars can be purchased and downloaded for this version. If you prefer purchasing a full game instead of an extended prologue, perhaps Gran Turismo HD: Classic would be more your speed. Or perhaps not.

Though the Classic moniker may stem from the fact that you're getting a high resolution PS2 game, you may distinctly recall the original game actually giving you hundreds upon hundreds of cars for your $50. Not so with this version. Every car and every track may be purchased and downloaded from Sony's online network. The interview mentions a price of 50-100 yen per vehicle ($0.43 - $0.85) and 200 - 500 yen per track ($1.71 - $4.26). Being generous and sticking to the low end of the scale results in $408 spent if you want all 750 cars and all 50 tracks (roughly what you got in Gran Turismo 4). Moving up on the scale approaches values that surpass what you paid for the PS3 (newsflash: a lot) to begin with.

Is it just me or will the PS3 kill Sony?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

The whole "online marketplace" idea is a great one, but IMO the companies are screwing it up with all this petty bull****. €5 for a new oblivion mission, or horse armour when they are free on the PC. More € for map releases when they are free on the PC. I would not mind if they were charging for big expansions or something, but it's ****ty little things like new cars/maps/clothes that you would get for free on the PC through th devs or mods.

If that is true about GT though, that's taking it way too far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Absolutely rediculous. They are shooting themselves in the foot.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Read it on Joystiq earlier, but it sounds like a BS rumour to me or mistranslation or something.

If it is true somehow, that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I've a feeling we're missing some details on that, but from the sounds of it right now they can keep the GT4 microtransactions stuff. But I do want the GT5 prologue.

This is one of the tracks from that:

979ce22b24nj8.jpg

And some car models:

576add0753qz5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Smellyirishman, on the Oblivion thing, that's not actually correct. You have to pay for those extras on PC too, they're not free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

koneko wrote:
    Smellyirishman, on the Oblivion thing, that's not actually correct. You have to pay for those extras on PC too, they're not free.

true, but there's also very free mods that do the same thing :)

as for GT HD. makes me sick to the stomach since i'm a huge GT fan (i can't even deal with forza's physics because GT is so good). i know i'll end up getting it either way, because i'm a douche... but i wont be happy paying for every car and track i want.

but i know why they're doing it... to test the waters. 1) to see how their system copes, and 2) to see how much people are willing to buy/pay. remember that this is GT4 with upscaled graphics. not an entirely new game on a new engine.

one thing i will say (to try and balance the argument), the price of cars/tracks is fairly reasonable. i mean it's not overly expensive to buy a car or track. in the end, you wont be buying the toyota yaris, will you? you'll go straight for the good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Stupid idea

I hope somewhere in Japan someone on the marketing team for GT is missing a pinky finger

Dumb ass

There are so many people who will just avoid games if they go like this.....me for one anyway

Guild Wars or WOW. Guild wars please cos there is no monthly subscription. That's how my mind works.

If they are going to take the bones of 700 euro from me I will not be too happy about having to pay for a lot of crap like this.

PM while i agree the prices are dirt cheap it ruins the idea of the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's an absolute scam to pay for content that really should be available with the game. So they give us GT4, available at budget prices, with better graphics and expect us to pay for features that are already available with that game. Don't be surprised if nobody buys it sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

uhmm???

whats the point of playing the game then?

If you pay to unlock everything a huge aspect of the games longevity will be gone. you'll loose the satisfaction of finally getting that one track just right, and having a fancy new car or map as your reward.

As much as people b*tched about the ranking system in BF2 it was satisfying to be playing a level and then a reward comes up and you get a new gun.

Now imagine if you just pay a bit more you can get those new guns without having to play a single level. DULL!

I swear sony etc seem to be forgetting that your meant to PLAY these games...

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

This isn't referring to GT5, it's GT HD ie a tech demo for the PS3. They are giving you the option to customize your demo meaning you only really need 1 car and 1 track. The full GT5 will come with all the bells and whistles already on the disc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

koneko wrote:

I see, I thought they were. Well, I still blame the marketplace! If there was no console marketplace they would have released things like that for no charge on PC, or at least built up a decent expansion.

Vegeta wrote:
    PM while i agree the prices are dirt cheap it ruins the idea of the game

but like i said, it's not GT5. it's GT4 remastered for ps3.. it is, for all intensive purposes, merely a showcase of "what to expect".
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    If you pay to unlock everything a huge aspect of the games longevity will be gone. you'll loose the satisfaction of finally getting that one track just right, and having a fancy new car or map as your reward.

i know where you're coming from but you probably have unlocked everything (you want) in GT4. this is exactly the same game with higher res. it's a tech demo. you already know how the cars work. you already worked for them before. this is a tech demo to see how the online pricing strategy works, if people care and to test net code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

So what price is the game?

Ie. if the game costs a fiver and you buy the cars you want for a quid each then it could actually work out cheaper than a proper game unless you're completely obsessive about it. If the game costs 60 quid then obviously its a rip off but i severely doubt it will.

Unlocking things was part of the fun of GT but I think its an interesting idea as a demo and I doubt GT5 will follow that model.

steviec wrote:
    So what price is the game?

Ie. if the game costs a fiver and you buy the cars you want for a quid each then it could actually work out cheaper than a proper game unless you're completely obsessive about it. If the game costs 60 quid then obviously its a rip off but i severely doubt it will.

Unlocking things was part of the fun of GT but I think its an interesting idea as a demo and I doubt GT5 will follow that model.

a mate told me that some japanese mag has said that the game will have some cars/motorbikes already on the game with a new track or two, then all the downloads will be the cars/tracks from GT4, which sounds plausible since it means they can charge money for the game in stores and justify it. but it's nothing confirmed or anything.. it just sounds about right to me...

as for GT5, i would seriously doubt it'll follow this model. the production costs on that have spiraled quite a bit so they need to get all that back (which they'll do no problem looking at how GT4 took off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why would anyone pay for the extra stuff? It just encourages this stupidity. They need to stop this stuff.

The other consoles are starting to look like a rip off compared to Wii at the moment but Nintendo still have a chance to stick the knife in our sides, we'll have to wait and see...

Advertisement