Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you win -- are you magnanimous?

Options
  • 21-09-2006 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

hey folks,

Just wondering, if you're playing a game against a mate or whatever, and you win, do you try and control yourself so you don't make your mate feel bad, or do you jump around the room screaming "WINNNNNEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!" at the top of your lungs?

Me and one of my mates get really worked up about games (esp. Pro Evo 4 -- evil game), so when I win I kinda take my cue from him. If he rubs it in when he wins, then I do the same ;) But I'm usually not that mean :p So I don't watch replays or anything (unless it's extremely spectacular :D), and I try not to smile too much.

So what about you, are you an 'orrible cant? ;)

When you win -- are you magnanimous? 29 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    68% 20 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    31% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Pro Evo... ah yes.. it depends really. Some times nothing is said, silence, as if nothing happened, other times they'll start it off saying it was a **** goals, other times it can be more obviously emotional. But it's always emotional anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Depends on who I'm playing against. I'm a graceful winner, I like to think, unless I'm playing against someone that is a total a-hole or a bad winner, like someone that'll smack-talk and make stupid comments. Even then I usually won't rub it in, but it's hard to resist sometimes, you just can't stop yourself from getting up and going "AH YEAH BITCH, DO YOU LIKE THAT, HUH?!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Most of the time I am fairly accepting of defeat and decently gracious in victory, but like others have said, there are times when the loser deserves no less than a boo-ya-crotch-thrust to the face.

The majority of the time I get pissed off because of;
    a) Cheaters/'sploiters.
    b) Smack Talk
    c) Stupid Teammates

Replays in pro-evo depend on the retrospective activity/quality of the goal (if it's a really shit goal to clinch victory in the 80+ minute then you can be sure it will be watched over and over as the loser tries to scurry over you to quit the replay and resume the game, all the time laughing, laughing) . If they have been flaunting their goals you can be damn sure they will be getting the back-and-fourth over the goal line.

It's a situational thing, but I would say I have dabbled in all aspects of multiplayer sportsmanship, although I don't talk smack online just to friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Depends on the game being played really, winning in pikmin 2 after running in all gung ho and taking their coloured marble sort of has to be accompanied by some banter, most of the games I play multi player in are strategy games, and so the victory is followed by a discussion of tactics and events in the game, and it's usually with friends so in the majority of games i'm a pretty civil winner. I find that I'm usually somewhat less civil in party games, smash bros, guitar hero and monkey ball seem to bring out the worst in me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I only really cheer if my opponent was shouting all sorts of expletives during the game trying to distract me and even then its short lived. Usually its just 'hard luck, do you want to go again?' or something like 'that character is a bit unmatched in this kind of game' (said during Smash Bros Melee)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Most of the time depends on who im playing, showing replays off screamers from every possible angle with a voice over is my favourite :D

kdjac

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm a worse loser than a emotional winner

If i'm beaten by the comp at mario kart for example I go skitso.

If a mate beats me I am graceful in defeat. If I win though I am also graceful in victory...

Except when it comes to pro-evo. With pro-evo I am an angry soccer fan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I depends on who I'm playing against. If it's a close match or I totally trash one of my mates in multiplayer I like to rub it in. However I expect the same in return if I lose. Mostly we play games were the score doesn't really matter it's just a bit of fun and noobies can get kills such as half-life deathmatch. Street Fighter 2 is a different story. I used to love being obnoxious when I was good at it. I'd let people beat me to within one hit of winning. They get excited and they become predictable and therefore don't stand a chance of even getting one hit in. I rub it in with a bottle of iodine afterwards.

If however I'm entertaining my young cousins with mario kart I wouldn't rub it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I don't know with me. I'm unpredictable to myself even, if I get a good kill on a multiplayer game I might just continue on and get another one or I may just lavish in the moment. It all depends on if I'm actually in the game and feel competitive or if I'm just in it for fun. I may just go around not caring what happens or I may have the game in the bag and know they don't stand a chance and leave it at that. No need to degrade them any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I can be a very bad loser sometimes, especially with team games. You know the usual hitting the key board in frustration, belting out harsh language, but thats only really in competitions for some serious prizes.

When I'm playing against my friends I usually walk all over them in every game, even if I've only played it once. So when I win I just sit there with a smug look on my face, but really I'm dying to say something along the lines of "TEKKKIT B1TCH !!"

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

As a twist on the subject - would anyone ever let someone win a game to earn brownie points or give them a boost in confidence. As in Girlfriends/noobs/childer?

I never show any mercy to my girlfriend in Mario Kart - and to be honest I think she's gotten really good at it as a result. Totally hates playin me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Whenever I win, I feel completely guilty about it and try as hard as I can to not acknowledge my victory. That's probably because I despise losing with such intensity, so I try not to make anyone feel worse about a loss in case they suffer similarly.
    As a twist on the subject - would anyone ever let someone win a game to earn brownie points or give them a boost in confidence. As in Girlfriends/noobs/childer?
    Hell no! They never learn if they think what they're doing can win a game. I might ease up a little if I think they're getting annoyed, but rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I would, and have. There's a friend of mine I let win in guitar hero the odd time for the sake of her ego, most of the time I'm playing any game with young kids I let them get the victory too. But when it comes to people who play games regularly, I wouldn't even consider letting them win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

you can be damn sure they will be getting the back-and-fourth over the goal line
    Ahaaar, I prefer the spinning 360 degree back-and-forth foot contacting ball that I learned from SofaKing.

He used to always rub that in my face, but then when I started scoring more goals than him, it was sweet revenge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Balfa wrote:
    Ahaaar, I prefer the spinning 360 degree back-and-forth foot contacting ball...

Ah yes, a true beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The odd time I'd let newbies have a goal or 2 -- but it often goes wrong, when they end up winning :( lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Usually I am fairly gracious when I win. Nothing more than a smug self satisfied look on my face.

But I have one friend who constantly beats me at Fight Night Round 3. He usually waits untill im drunk to the point of not being able to speak so he can give me a good hammering.

He will even do anoying things like offer to fight as a lower weight class boxer so he can prove just how much the man he is at the game.

I probably beat him 1 in every 10 fights so when I do I usually jump around the room shouting " In your face" or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

if its a close game and i win, i would have no problem doing a lap of the house proclaiming my greatness and how crap the loser was.

I would point and shout over anything they had to say usually bellowing slogans like "Speak up my winner ears cant hear your loser excuses" or if they give an excuse like the teams were unmatched i respond with "Jesus I have never read that book, '100 things losers say'!!!"

I am your bog standard bad winner and sore loser. I try not to enter too many competitive situations as a different side of my personality clicks on and I turn in to the biggest d1ckhead ever.

Once playing soccer in the youth club i was sent off for hitting a girl with a crunching slide tackle. My arguement was that if i didn't tackle her like a man it would have been sexist.

In PE in secondary school i rugby tackled my own girlfriend in a game of rounders to prevent her getting to base. Good times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vegeta wrote:
    In PE in secondary school i rugby tackled my own girlfriend in a game of rounders to prevent her getting to base. Good times

I suppose your still going out with her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SkinnyDoogan

Depends on who i'm playing,
    usually control myself but
    if i'm playing my mate Owen, I go mental
    as he is a right pain in the ass when he
    wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I'm a very poor sport I absolutely hate losing.

Just ask anyone who was in my guild in WoW, I was a merciless guildleader but then we were the best guild on the server while I was incharge.

Currently I play DOTA a lot and I go absolutely nuts when I start to lose because some noob is feeding the other team, in that case I usually let them have it. Especially when it's a game called "no noobs" and the player on my team feeding is obviously playing like his 2nd game of DOTA or something.

I'm usually pretty gracious when I win and don't smack talk unless the other team provokes me by saying stuff earlier in the game when they ganked me or whatever. When that happens, all bets are off!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

When I win I rub it in as much as possible, all in good jest ofc.
    I don't like losing, but I certainly don't flip out when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Most of the time, I'm fairly calm. If it's close (or Mario Kart or Goldeneye) I get a bit excited. But it's all part of the fun! I don't like losing in those games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

I do the David Brent dance when I win!

mmm mm-mm-mm-mm-mmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I only rub it in if it's done to me first.

"Oh look, I won. You know what that means? It means you didn't win. And that's called losing. Which makes you a loser. What does it make you? Yes, that's right. Now, another game?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Balfa wrote:
    Ahaaar, I prefer the spinning 360 degree back-and-forth foot contacting ball that I learned from SofaKing.

He used to always rub that in my face, but then when I started scoring more goals than him, it was sweet revenge ;)
    I let you score, cos i started to feel sorry for you >_>

EDIT: And im very un-magnanimous, regardless if im playing PES against friends or my little sister, I like to rub it in all their faces :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Usually I'm a pretty good winner... I don't like being a total bitch and rubbing it in people's faces when I win. Though if I beat my friend at Super Smash Bros Melee I have to be a bit annoying, because she beats me all the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Pyr0 wrote:
    I can be a very bad loser sometimes, especially with team games. You know the usual hitting the key board in frustration, belting out harsh language, but thats only really in competitions for some serious prizes.

When I'm playing against my friends I usually walk all over them in every game, even if I've only played it once. So when I win I just sit there with a smug look on my face, but really I'm dying to say something along the lines of "TEKKKIT B1TCH !!"

lol so true

"he didn't just kill me with THAT gun"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Depends on the game, depends on my mood.

I find that americans are the most arrogant so when I beat them I usually say "Hard Luck" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I'm a graceful winner - I don't rub it in ever. Because if I was to do that the person wouldn't be as inclined to play against me again. I remember beating a fella in pro evo 3 a few years back and he was getting really frustrated. He was screaming at the telly. I on the other hand was struggling to hold in the laughing.

I never show any mercy to my girlfriend in Mario Kart - and to be honest I think she's gotten really good at it as a result. Totally hates playin me though.

Yes I have done this, but only with my daughter. I don't do it all the time because she has to learn to be defeated as well, but sometimes.

On the girlfriend note: NEVER let her win ANYTHING! To the guy that rugby tackled his girlfriend, I salute you!

:D:D

Advertisement