Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Challenge??????

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Recording isnt too hard. They are many free sequencers available and free amp simulators so this is something everyone can take part in. I can write up a tutorial later.

Now about doing a backing track, what type of music do people want to write? Personally I usually compose prog rock songs and have tracks ive already written that could be used straight away if people wanted. Short example, this is just an intro, verse and chorus. Everything there is a vsti (virtual studio instrument) so things can be taken out or edited as needed.

If people would be interested in something like this that would be great! I dont however expect everyone to be fans of that style and can easily write something different according to what people want. Anyway let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

nohshow wrote:
    guitarbak.com
    what is this, i cant find it

knowing the posters here, if this idea took flight, it'd be prog rock so i'm out anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Raptor

Sounds like a pretty good idea alright, count me in.

Of course, my previous attempts to record have sounded somewhat less than stellar, but hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

!_Brian_! wrote:
    I'd be well up for it but I dont know how to record what I play over a backing track. :(

If theres a track uploaded and I can work out how to record my stuff over it and post it up, count me in!

i'm in the same situation as brian,i'd love to get involved when i get broadband in the gaff in the next week or 2 but all i have is...

computer

electric guitar

amp

i don't have a clue how to record or to even upload sound files on the net,and i'm sure there is a few others that are on the same boat.

so i think a stcky for this info could be make or break for this idea;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭nohshow

I'll put together a simple layout/diagram/chain for recording yourself for anyone who needs it. Starting from the assumption that everyone, as a minimum requirement, can get their hands on a software recorder (there's a version of Audacity for all platforms and it's free - have a google), a microphone and/or connecting cable (1/4" jack to mini-jack probably, in most cases), the trick is to play one track while recording another and that's really not a big trick at all.

How do you go about creating a sticky? Anybody know?

• Advertisement

This so isnt gonna happen...:D :p

Hard to say at this stage. It looks like it's starting, anyway:rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I was arseing around with this a bit more last night after and found a program called Reaper through Google. Free simple recording thing. I plugged my guitar into a zoom 505 thing I'v lying around and plugged that directly into the soundcard in the mic slot using a step down converter. Didnt sound very good but I was able to record a rythem track and a lead track over it. Will I be able to play a backing track through this and record iver it in the same manner? Also, is this healty for my soundcard? Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

!_Brian_! wrote:
    I was arseing around with this a bit more last night after and found a program called Reaper through Google. Free simple recording thing. I plugged my guitar into a zoom 505 thing I'v lying around and plugged that directly into the soundcard in the mic slot using a step down converter. Didnt sound very good but I was able to record a rythem track and a lead track over it. Will I be able to play a backing track through this and record iver it in the same manner? Also, is this healty for my soundcard? Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live I think.

It's grand, thats what its there for like.

A good way to get decent recordings on a budget would be to use a sequencer like Kristal. Its free and has vst support. With that then you can then use your computer to generate effects like distortion etc using freeware vsts like Project X or Juicy 77 or Guitar FX. These can produce quite convincing tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I'd be interested in tryin it, email me if you're going ahead with it
    BOF6661@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I have lot's of original tunes written. I'm gonna dig out a blues tune i was working on a while back. It has rhythm and lead guitar on it already. It needs vox, bass and possibly keys. I'll try and get post it tonight. it's gonna be in mp3 format.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

If possible, could you post the rhythm and lead separately, may help people mixing new parts or someone can take the song in a completely different style.;)

The_g-man wrote:
    If possible, could you post the rhythm and lead separately, may help people mixing new parts or someone can take the song in a completely different style.;)

Well the lead is just a solo in the middle

Well here it is. The format is ......
    intro, verses 1 &2 , chorus, verse, chorus, lead break, chorus
    balls file failed to upload. The file is 4M...too large or what?

You can host it at yousendit.com and just paste the link here.

ok...think i have it sorted
    Try this

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w5g2gk

BOF666 wrote:
    I'd be interested in tryin it, email me if you're going ahead with it

Beware posting your e-mail addy this publicly, Bof. Use PM instead, it can be a lot handier. I recommend you edit your post.

ok...Try this

Lovely piece to start, Fingers. 4 meg was ok for me, is everyone else able to get it? Does it need to be compressed any more?

There's plenty of room for lyricists, which I think is a good thing, or soloists of various disciplines.

Finally, can we give ourselves a deadline, like a month from today sort of thing to complete?

I think it may be time to move this thread, folks. If no one objects, I'll work on an intro to the Challenge and post it in Playing/Techniques/Theory. Sound ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I think it'd be more appreciated in the recording and collaboration forum to be honest.

I think it'd be more appreciated in the recording and collaboration forum to be honest.

yup...agree with that. Can someone do the honours?

• Advertisement

I have lot's of original tunes written. I'm gonna dig out a blues tune i was working on a while back. It has rhythm and lead guitar on it already. It needs vox, bass and possibly keys. I'll try and get post it tonight. it's gonna be in mp3 format.

I dont suppose you could just post the backing without the rythym/lead guitars on it?

Beecher wrote:
    I dont suppose you could just post the backing without the rythym/lead guitars on it?

nope i had all the original tracks once upon a time but my pc died a death and i lost them all. Right i'm hitting the sack. All the best. Can someone try and put a bass line first?

Can someone try and put a bass line first?

Just as a clarification point, the original idea isn't for a pass-the-parcel type thing. If you check back this thread, you'll see that idea is highly unpopular. The purpose is to see what different people make of a backing track and to share some ideas about playing. If people want to collaborate on a single track, that's an entirely different idea and, you're right, would be better suited to that forum. I'll hold off on submitting your backing track until I get your go-ahead.

However, if someone wants to collaborate with Fingers, there's nothing stopping you. And good luck with it, guys.

Check out the thread in Recording/Mixing/Collaboration for the Challenge story so far (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054994725)

nohshow,,,,oops didn't realise that was the point of the exercise. Ok it's an original composition of mine and not a backing track. What i wanted was other folk to try and add something to the tune and turn it into a song.

Now we've been moved to Collaboration, I expect a few others will be confused as well. Nevertheless, the structure is pretty much laid out and I hope everyone takes the time to read it over before getting involved.

Get the finger out....what's keepin ya?

Advertisement