Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€115 a game!?

• 21-09-2006 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Not only is the PS3 €700 on it's delayed launch, but it will cost €115 a game! And that's just the mundane titles. The likes of Gran Turismo or Grand Theft Auto or the likes will retail at €130. This has totally written off the PS3 for me. Based on this information, I don't know how Sony expect to shift many machines.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Not a chance.

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

You could start by telling us where you heard that.

I'll start by saying the system itself is not €700. It's €500-600 depending on the version you want (+€20 here in Ireland, probably).

Activision has also said their PS3 games will be $60 in the states. The same price as 360 games. I'd expect the same to be the case everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Not a hope I'm afraid although the retail price of €699 has been going around, the retail price of games is way off your estimation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

acri wrote:
    Not only is the PS3 €700 on it's delayed launch, but it will cost €115 a game! And that's just the mundane titles. The likes of Gran Turismo or Grand Theft Auto or the likes will retail at €130. This has totally written off the PS3 for me. Based on this information, I don't know how Sony expect to shift many machines.

PS3's rrp is €599 for the high end model, which is only going to bring it to €630 with tax and crap. it's delayed in europe only, and games will cost the same as xbox360 titles (about €75 average).

maybe you got your horrendous information from either some xbox fanboy site or you're confusing the information on GT HD (you buy each car/track for about $1 each) in that to own everything it would cost more then the console itself.

I priced the PS3 in Game and they informed me that it would be a little more over 700. No idea of the games though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Most likely they force a bundle of the console plus a game, wouldn't surprise me, some retailers (Gamestop?) did that with the 360 aswell. That price would include a game.
    PS3's rrp is €599 for the high end model, which is only going to bring it to €630

Lol ;)

koneko wrote:
    Lol ;)

touché :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Is the PS3 not open priced in europe???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

"The prices of a console and its games are one of the most important factors consumers consider when making a purchase, and Activision CEO, Robert Kotick has just confirmed that PlayStation 3 games will be retailing for around USD60 in North America, the same price Xbox 360 games launched at last year.

"We have not seen a lot of consumer resistance at the higher price points and we expect that all of our next-generation products will be launched at $60 price points," Kotick said, during a presentation. The price tag should come as no surprise to many, especially considering the fact that game prices have been going up regularly, and that Microsoft has already set a precedent with its pricing last holiday season.

Earlier this year, Sony's President, Kaz Hirai suggested that the price of PlayStation 3 games may range from USD60 to USD100 in an article in PlayStation Magazine."
    http://www.ps3land.com/article-687.php

Going by this, Xbox 360 games retailed at $60 in the states, but €70 over here. PS3 titles are then said to launch at $100. Given this, who's to say this won't result in a €100 - €115 release over here.

acri wrote:
    http://www.ps3land.com/article-687.php

Going by this, Xbox 360 games retailed at $60 in the states, but €70 over here. PS3 titles are then said to launch at $100. Given this, who's to say this won't result in a €100 - €115 release over here.

i'd say public unwillingness to spent that much on a game will result in that price not rearing its head. people are/will be willing to spend a lot on the hardware because it's an investment to last a couple of years, but a game is only going to last you a few months if it has great online play, or is GTA.

the $60 to €70 shift isn't a significant leap on xbox games, so the consumer will moan about the cost and pay anyway
    Vegeta wrote:
    Is the PS3 not open priced in europe???

only in japan afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Maybe I'm missing something here but on play.com you can pick em up for 79.99 Euro...
    http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/NAVSUB/5-/RegionHome.html

OK so they are not out 'yet' but if you buy now they would have to give em to you for that price when they are 'out'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Game on Dawson Street told me the same thing - the console being €699 and games being €115 each.

Wii is looking a lot more attractive. Don't know how I'll play all my Blu-Ray movies though:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

god's toy wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something here but on play.com you can pick em up for 79.99 Euro...
    http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/NAVSUB/5-/RegionHome.html

OK so they are not out 'yet' but if you buy now they would have to give em to you for that price when they are 'out'.

Could just be an Irish retailer thing although I doubt they'd be this stupid.

That price if they are 80 Euro online would drive every PS3 owner to at least look for alternatives such as buying online plus the PS3 games are region free are they not? Then people could easily buy them where ever they are cheapest online.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I was looking through my old PS2 games and saw the stickers on them... £50 at the time when the console was first out that's probably the equivelant of about 70 euro now. Given inflation and the fact that games are now alot more expensive to develop then i don't think 80 euro is a totally unreasonable price. I remember N64 games costing £60 a few years before the PS2, that was a rip off. I remember buying donkey kong country on the snes back when it was released for £50, that was 12 years ago... how much would that be in todays money? Sony will probably charge 80 a game over here but in fairness to them it's not such an unreasonable move. Anyway I will be buying all my PS3 games online, just like I do for my 360 games I've probably saved 200 euro altogether on their cost already.
    The wii can afford to sell games a bit lower cos they are alot easier to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Oooh, this sort of thing is going to hurt high street retailers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Mr. K wrote:
    Oooh, this sort of thing is going to hurt high street retailers!

Its the greedy high street retailers that create this market. Take HMV for example, they had Elder Scrolls on their shelves for €89.99 !!! Thats €25 more than the RRP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

It’s called “creaming the market”; prices start unreasonably high, but since only early adopters will have the limited amount machines they are the same type of customers that will pay a premium for the games.

The consumers that would say “I’ll never pay over €50 for a game” probably won’t pay €600 for a machine. They wait until the console comes down to €300-€400 2-3 years from now.

In 4 years time the games that cost €95 at launch will be €9.99 in a bargain bin.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/25/japanese-ps3-games-to-cost-up-to-9-800-85-usd/

"IGN is sourcing Japanese journalist Munechika Nishida's "multiple information sources" that PS3 games will be between ¥8,800 ($75 USD) and ¥9,800 ($85 USD). Development costs are being blamed for the pricey games."

If the games do end up costing 100 euros or something here, they can take a running jump, I'm not paying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

koneko wrote:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/25/japanese-ps3-games-to-cost-up-to-9-800-85-usd/

"IGN is sourcing Japanese journalist Munechika Nishida's "multiple information sources" that PS3 games will be between ¥8,800 ($75 USD) and ¥9,800 ($85 USD). Development costs are being blamed for the pricey games."

If the games do end up costing 100 euros or something here, they can take a running jump, I'm not paying that.

Well might not be the best idea to go by what some blog website is claiming another, rather poor website heard from some journalist who heard it from "multiple information sources" has to say about it. I would be very surprised if the PS3 games cost over 80 euro.

I'm not saying it's fact, but it's adding fuel to a fire. And I did say "if".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Phil Harrison, head of Sony’s worldwide development studios, confirmed that PlayStation 3 will be region-free for video games (but not DVD nor Blu-Ray movies). Kutaragi went a step further, intimating that downloadable game content could also be region-free. “In that case, there would be no physical barriers, only language barriers,” he noted cryptically.

So now you don't have to worry about forking over 115euro to HMV, Game, or Gamestop, since you could probably get the same game from Japan or the US quicker and cheaper via Ebay. Amazon.co.uk would be cheaper too. Although, you better brush up on your japanese when importing.

Amazon.co.uk would be cheaper too. Although, you better brush up on your japanese when importing.

hasn't amazon stopped shipping games to ireland?

as for brushing up on japanese, maybe devs will include an extra 2 or 3 weeks of development for adding ALL language settings on the one disc, now that capacity isn't an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

Where do people come up with these figures?! Peter Moore perhaps... :rolleyes:

115e? Come on, anyone who believed that is a fool. Sony style store is advertising them for $60, a far cry from this 115 nonsense.

I hate posting on threads with mindless speculation but claiming that the games are going to be that expensive is ridiculous. They will cost around the same as 360 games. While hmv could charge 115, they could also charge 150, that would have nothing to do with sony, just hmv's greed, just look at their 360 prices compared to online retailers.

Good. We all know what retailers are like unfortunately, in particular Game and HMV, so it wouldn't surprise me if they try to rip us off by upping the price a bit, but if the guideline price is not high then we can buy online. Or Smyths, who seem to be cheaper than the other stores (and give 10% discount for a week after a game is released). And Argos :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

hasn't amazon stopped shipping games to ireland?

Yeah. I think the UK will be enforcing the WEEE directive under law over the next few months so Amazon may start shipping here again then. If not, they may just set up an Irish site.

[QUOTE=as for brushing up on japanese, maybe devs will include an extra 2 or 3 weeks of development for adding ALL language settings on the one disc, now that capacity isn't an issue.[/QUOTE]

I can't see that happening with many titles. They like the regional pricing strategy too much.

Advertisement