Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long to learn german in germany?

• 21-09-2006 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at moving to Germany (probably Dresden) in January or February for probably a year as my Girlfriend is German. I only did german for 1st year in secondary school but I have picked up a few phrases and can count in german but dont really know any verbs - just ich bin, du bist... and ich habe... (in present tense i.e. very basic verbs). I want to do a german course when I move over to try and learn enough to get a job - maybe in an english speaking call centre or something like that if there is anything like that. I would obviously need the german to be able to talk to supervisors and fellow workers etc. but my german wouldnt have to be excellent i'm thinking.

I am thinking about bringing enough money for 4/5 months out of work while I learn german. Is this being realistic - could I learn enough german in that length of time or how long should I realistically give? My girlfriend would be helping me practise of course as she has perfect english.

Thanks for any help/advice,
    Noel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

4/5 Months is fine to learn German IF you stay hard and try to speak it, when I first moved to Germany everyone wanted to speak English to me, I had a hard time trying to find someone who would actually speak German to me.

Watch German TV, talk the language, read as much German as possible, surround yourself with all things German.

You won't speak perfect German in that time, but you can learn a hell of a lot, (if you really want to.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Check out how much the courses will cost too. They will be quite expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Pick your area carefully!

If you go to Dresden you are going to learn sachsen German! For example words sound different for example ish not like the ich you learned in school. I lived in Leipzig earlier this year. It took a while to learn how to repronounce everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Dresden may actually be a good spot to go to. There will be plenty of people around, e.g. many in their thirties, who grew up in the DDR and did not learn English in school (many will have learnt Russian as their foreign language). It's very hard to find people in the western part of Germany who can speak little or no English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks for the replies. It may be Cottbus I am moving to yet (all depends where the girlfriend gets a job). The girlfriend is from a village half way between Berlin and Dresden but in Brandenburg. I am a computer & Network engineer (CCNA Qualified) and website developer. Whats the odds I will be able to get myself a job with the amount of German I will learn in 4/5 months? Thats the thing that I'm worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Pick your area carefully!

If you go to Dresden you are going to learn sachsen German! For example words sound different for example ish not like the ich you learned in school. I lived in Leipzig earlier this year. It took a while to learn how to repronounce everything!

Pay attention to the Skinners, they speak a different German to most. And be sure to lock your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bill_lumbergh

axer wrote:

I want to do a german course when I move over to try and learn enough to get a job

you could check out the university there http://www.uni-dresden.de as they'd probably have German language courses that wouldn't be as expensive as in a language school.
    also http://www.spiegel.de is a good site to read German news articles etc at, which would really help you. they've got some audio news clips too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

U will be very lucky to get any type of job being honest. Unemployment is high overall in Germany but particularly in the East where the economy has not picked up anything to what it should have done. I would start checking around. Maybe there is skilled work in English that a company needs. Leipzig is best though in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

ive been in freiburg for almost 2 years now. i have never put any effort into actually studying german in a school or with books since ive been out here, until now (ive left it a bit late!!). thats a bad idea, as now i can speak eneough to get by, when if i studied at the start, i could be doing alot more.

also, its true that alot of germans will just speak english to you to practice their english. that can be annoying.

go to a sprachschule when you get there, and try and take an intensive course. anyone i know over here who has done that, speaks (and reads and writes) pretty good german.

put the effort in and study it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 An Taoiseach

Smoke.me.a.kipper

I'm thinking of moving to Freiburg late next year. Do you know if it is difficult to get a job in that area? I've heard that jobs are easy enough to come by in Frankfurt or Munich but I can't find too much about Freiburg.

Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I spent 4 years in Niedersachsen (50 km from Bremen). Even with (rusty) Leaving Cert German, it took me a good year to be able to converse efficiently in work. Yeah, I could get by, but only because the (US) company required that its employees speak some English. By the end of Year 2 I was pretty fluent.

I don't want to spoil the party here, but in my experience, you will find it very difficult to get a job with poor German, unless you are willing to take a low-paid job (for which there will be lots of competition in that part of Germany.

And they have that bloody awful accent over there in East Germany (or West Poland as a lot of Germans call it)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I don't want to spoil the party here, but in my experience, you will find it very difficult to get a job with poor German, unless you are willing to take a low-paid job (for which there will be lots of competition in that part of Germany.
    I figure that will probably be a problem alright. I do a bit of webdesign/computer work so that might keep me going as I can work from Germany and have saved up enough to hopefully keep me going for 6/7 months while I study.
    Plus the girlfriend should have a fairly good job (not that I'll be scrounging or anything).
    And they have that bloody awful accent over there in East Germany (or West Poland as a lot of Germans call it)...
    Ouch! The girlfriend wouldn't like that! ;) She would say thats a typical wessie thing to say! :D

All I can do is try and emerse myself in as much german as I can for 6 months or so (as Sin scéal eile said) and see how I get on.

Am gonna check out a few sprachschule's in the area for prices and courses etc.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Any more advice is much appreciated.

Advertisement