Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with sound problem

Options
  • 21-09-2006 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've just put a new build together, using an MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition motherboard and an Antec P150 case. I have the front audio ports connected to the header on the motherboard, its an intel standard connector and it only fits one way. The motherboard uses a realtek ALC882 audio codec, I've installed the latest drivers from realtek's website.

I'm getting a strange 'karaoke' type effect when I plug headphones into the front connector - its like the centre channel is being completely suppressed. Its actually doing quite a good job of it, the problem is that I can't find any way to turn it off, and it makes listening to usic or VOIP type things impossible.

I've been searching for an answer for a few hours here, and have come up blank. Has anyone out there run into this before, or know what the solution is (apart from using a splitter on the rear output)?

Thanks,and hoping someone knows the answer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I suspect that the front connector is wired to the left and right of a multi-channel system rather than a stereo mix (e.g. on the back of my computer there is a jack for the left and right but the centre is on a seperate jack; the front jack is a stereo mix.) This would result in what you describe.

This may be due to having the headers connected wrong, as normally the front jack will be stereo with the three multi-channel jacks on the back. Alternatively it may be a bad/incompatible case design. One way or the other I suspect the answer will be to rearrange the headers so that you are sending the multi-channel to the back of the case and the stereo mix to the front.

It is also possible that the nature of the output (multi-channel vs stereo) is configurable in the BIOS, so I'd have a look at that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to Comp Build & Upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭N64

Have you tried another cable? Might be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

N64 wrote: »
    Have you tried another cable? Might be the problem

10 years? Thats gotta be a new necro record for this subforum.

Advertisement