Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a few horribly stupid questions

Options
  • 21-09-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking heavily of investing in WoW but since my work Pc cant access any games sites I cant find out the main detail I want to know! How much is the subsription fee and how is it payable? i.e. debit/credit card etc.?

Also is it as good as everyone says? Wasn't mad about Guild Wars. Good, but full of annoying *****.

Any help hugely loved!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

"After their initial free subscription ends, players of World of Warcraft are able to continue playing under one of three different subscription plans.
    The basic one-month subscription plan costs €12.99 per month (£8.99 in the UK)
    The three-month plan costs €11.99 per month (£8.39 in the UK)
    The six-month plan costs €10.99 per month (£7.69 in the UK) "

You can pay it by credit card, or buy game cards (in stores, you input the code from the card then).

And yes, it's very good, at least for a few months ;) And you can join the same server as people here and group with them if you want.

Your signature is incredibly disturbing btw. I implore you to change it to something that won't make people violently ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

I cant change it when I get reactions like that! Just look how shiny he is! I think I should have an avatar somewhere to match it too!

Cheers for the info! tenner a month you say, sounds interesting anyway! And a readily available abundance of non american arseholes to play with?! Bugger me! Result!

Cheers and thanks mate!

Actually another thing, I'm not brave enough to risk a credit card yet, would a standard lazer/maestro card work?

Nope, not afaik. Best off buying game cards then, they should sell them in game stores.

Unlikely you'll run into many Americans, unless they're living in Europe, or hate Americans and want to play with Europeans instead heh.

Depending on the server, you'll get a good mix. Some are full of Scandis, some have loads of English (loads of servers do really). Avoid the servers full of only Spanish people as in my experience, they don't want to speak English and you'll be stuck playing on your own.

Always thought I had a talent for playing with myself!

Cheers for the info, if you dont mind me asking how long does the free subscription tend to last? I'm more than likely gonna have this game by close of business now!

• Advertisement

You get a month free with it, IIRC, so that'll get you on your way most definitely. If you're anything like the rest of us on here, you'll probably spend as many hours as you can playing it for that month.

Time passes very quickly before you realise you haven't eaten or slept and it's 3am and you have work/college in the morning (oops).

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

Buy it.

Buy it now.

It is good. Very good. Very very good.
    You'll count the hours in work until you get home to log in and play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

if you buy the game, it should come with a "10 days free pass for a friend" card or something like that...
    register using the cd key on that card first and then enter your proper cd key to upgrade to a full account (you can do it straight afterwards)
    handy way to get an extra 10 free days:p

wow sucks by the way... I couldn't really get into the social aspect of it, and endless grinding/repetetive quests got a little too boring for my liking. (just wish i'd discovered that before i topped up my sub for another 3 months, instead of 2 fecking days afterwards:mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

koneko wrote:
    Time passes very quickly before you realise you haven't eaten or slept and it's 3am and you have work/college in the morning (oops).
    QFT... I'm having to give up because I'm going to fail college if I keep playing. Did that so many times over the summer, went to work on 3-4 hours sleep because I'd been WoW-ing all night...
    (should ding 60 tomorrow though!)

Edit: w00t, 5000th post!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'll keep an eye out for you in the BG's again then... ;)

Our BG group sucks at 60 though. Premades from Outland/Grim Batol and the other realms farm you all day every day. Bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Our BG group sucks at 60 though. Premades from Outland/Grim Batol and the other realms farm you all day every day. Bastards.
    You're gonna fail college two weeks in?

Genius!

I won't fail... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

koneko wrote:
    Some are full of Scandis

Am on one of those. Tis fun, different nationalities give you something to talk about during the long grinding sessions. :)

Very true, Scandis are grand, speak English well and they have potty-mouths and good sense of humour.

Dinged 60 yesterday, went to my first 60 WSG today. Met a premade from Grim Batol. It hurt. :(
    WTB Kilrogg server PvP... We're crap-geared, at least then we're not getting rolled by premades with weapons bigger than me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

If you do purchase you do not automatically get the free month out of the box

You either have to enter your credit card details or buy a 60 day game card to avail of that month free.

If you do not intend to pay with a credit card then you should remember to pick up a game card when you purchase the retail version as you will be required to have a game card or credit card details to register for a world of warcraft account

If you are interested in a trial, you can get a trial key and download the full wow client at the below link:

http://teaser.wow-europe.com/ - you will need to enter credit card details to create a trial account, if you do not intend on continuing to play wow once the trial is up then your credit card will not be charged at all

If you do wish to continue you will have to buy a retail copy of the game to continue, as if you use the trial, once the trial is up you will then need to enter an Authentication code to upgrade from a trial account, which you can only get from purchasing a retail copy.

As far as i am aware, while on a trial you can not trade with other people or use the auction house, also you have a lvl cap for the period of the trial

In my opinion if you truly want to experience what wow has to offer then go retail from the get go.

I started wow a little over a month ago and i bought a 60 day time card. my free month is now up, so my 60 day time card that i entered on registering my account is now in use.

For me the time cards are a much better option because if i stop playing wow for a month or so in the future and plan to come back i dont have to worry about the hassle of canceling and renewing my subscription as i would with a credit card. all i have to do is just not bother getting another time card until i intend to play again.

Although i think your character(s) are automatically deleted after 6 months of inactivity. i cannot confirm this though.

Good luck!

Dinged 60 yesterday, went to my first 60 WSG today. Met a premade from Grim Batol. It hurt. :(
    WTB Kilrogg server PvP... We're crap-geared, at least then we're not getting rolled by premades with weapons bigger than me!

I join AB and WSG at the same time. If there's a premade in one, I join the other. If there's a premade in the other... I get farmed..

Keep an eye out for the Metamorphasis monkeys from here... They'd hurt you...

Our BG group sucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Metamorphosis premades arent so bad anymore, cos we're pretty much all a bunch of carebears. Those that still pvp are usually on their alts (as, lets face it, whats the point in "grinding pvp ranks" with your main, which already has access to far superior gear) which results in a fairly lacklustre performance.

Still, we have been known to whoop a few premades from Grim Batol and frostmane and enjoyed it along the way ;)

Which one of you has the lvl 59 druid pvp alt? Bumped into them a few times before dinging 60.

Met Ahamach or something the other day in AB as well. To be honest, our BG group is scewed massively in favour of a few realms which are older (player base that is) than the others. Us ickle realms get ****ed about consistently. Makes the pvp thing all rather tedious...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

that was me, actually (with the level 59 druid alt). Was pvp'ing with him for about 2 weeks, just cos he was pure pwnage. I got 300k honor in the first week I started pvp'ing with him. I havent been able to match that in the ~3 weeks since :(

Druids are seriously imba pre-60, but once we hit 60 we're just a free hk :(
    Though, it doesnt help that most other people are epix'd out their hole :o

Aghmach is in Meta as well, aye. He's "baldy" on boards.

I completely agree though, pvp is fubar'd unless you are a main from one of the older realms in your battlegroup. Even twinks are rampant in the 10-50 range, which can make pvp pretty tedious for everyone else.

Truthfully, I'm not too sure these battlegroups were such a great idea :(

• Advertisement

Truthfully, I'm not too sure these battlegroups were such a great idea
    QFT... there really doesn't seem to be any hope for us newer realms... :(

Ah cool Ivan. You ain't bad with the druid.

I was in a premade a while back, hastily cobbled together, that did the whole WSG thing perfectly, move in, get flag, give to tank, take it home together...

A PuG sliced through us... 3 warriors with Ass Kandy, and our realm all with blues... If they swapped us with Kor'Gall it would be brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

When I PVP, I do it on my main, hilarious to one shot undergeared people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

jadenar are the whipping boys of the battlegroup, except for my orc shaman, Cillian;) about 20-30 wsgs undefeated on the trot.

Hmm... an interesting contest would be Kilrogg premade v Jaedenar premade, just to see who's worse... /cry

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

ahh leave jadenear alone :( we aint that...i cant even finish that sentence...we're terrible...

Yikes, AP-ers at least hold their own... :p

splinter wrote:
    ahh leave jadenear alone :( we aint that...i cant even finish that sentence...we're terrible...
    Bah, Kilrogg are ****e too, especially ally :(
    Doesn't help that our PvE progression is particularly bad (server up 5 months and Nef only downed in the last week) and a very high percentage of our 60s are in blues (I'm in half PvP blue set, rest Lightforge + random blues, but I'm 60 less than a week - and I'm better geared than quite a few of our fresh 60s due to the PvP stuff)... so we get rolled by Grim Batol and Outland premades constantly.

No point moaning. Just do what I'm about to do and quit PVP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'll be back to Jaedenar soon folks, just had some computer-explosion related issues to deal with..

I've ordered a new pc and should be back to havnig no life in the near future

Advertisement