Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a FTP Server At home With NTL router

• 21-09-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭

Im trying to setup a FTP server at Home...

I understand that My IP address is not Static so i would have to change the settings in my FTP server everytime I roboot

I have a netgear Wireless router connected to my Cable modem

Ive tried pinging the Cable modem IP address from Outside home No Luck...

Anyone ever done this?

The settings in the FTP server might be a Prob, as It wants the Routers IP address to be the server, but of course this is no use as its just within my subnet....

Any ideas / help would be appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

delop wrote:
    Im trying to setup a FTP server at Home...

I understand that My IP address is not Static so i would have to change the settings in my FTP server everytime I roboot

I have a netopia Wireless router connected to my Cable modem
    Your FTP server will be behind your Netopia router. It won't care that the IP address provided by your ISP changes on a regukar basis. If your router supports a dynamic DNS service, such as www.No-IP.com or www.dyndns.com, then you don't need to worry about it either. Your IP address on your LAN probably won't ever change, so you don't even need to worry about using a static address there either. You will have to forward port 25 to your FTP servers LAN address, though.
    Ive tried pinging the Cable modem IP address from Outside home No Luck...
    Your Netopia may be ignoring pings by default - it's a fairly common security feature.
    The settings in the FTP server might be a Prob, as It wants the Routers IP address to be the server, but of course this is no use as its just within my subnet....
    What FTP server are you using? I'm not sure what you mean by "It wants the Routers IP address to be the server".

Someone posted this address a few days ago - it's a useful tool for testing this kind of thing:
    http://www.canyouseeme.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Thanks for your help, that makes more sense to me now, I supposed to be a SDE, I shoudl be able to figure this stuff out myself :-(

Thanks again V helpfull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

another handy website for testing access to your FTP server from a pc on the same network is

www.web2ftp.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Foxwood wrote:
    You will have to forward port 25 to your FTP servers LAN address, though.

Not really sure why your telling him to port forward the SMTP port, however FTP is usually on 21 by default.

Advertisement