Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonforce. Legends!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

its not there!

but yay, truly they be the new kings of metal

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

sorry mate, it's fixed now! But jesus yeah, they're absolutely unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

its not there!

but yay, truly they be the new kings of metal
    i think that may be a bit of an over-statement, but DragonForce be gooood. fantastic live band.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Not the most innovative lot in the world but when you're that good who cares? :)

Three similar albums, all packed with perfect, lightning quick, thrilling power metal and fantastic musicianship. That's good enough for me!

Can't wait to see them in November to see if they can reproduce that level of note perfect precision in the live arena. Interested to see if the singer's voice will hold up aswell as I have my doubts about him. I've heard that the band knows how to put on a show though so it should be excellent no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

AlanOB wrote:
    Can't wait to see them in November to see if they can reproduce that level of note perfect precision in the live arena.

Don't go expecting this! You'll be very disappointed! They do put on one hell of a show though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

They are brilliant! Unfortunately won't be able to make the concert. Great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

yar, theyre playing november arent they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I cant wait to see them in November. I'm completely hooked on their latest album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

they seem to get it all perfect last time they were in dublin.. cant wait till they come again in nov.. along with a load of other gigs to go to.. november turning to be a pretty smavage month.. all im hoping is that they have some decent support there this time.. was guted that edguy wasnt supporting the irish date :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

AlanOB wrote:
    Can't wait to see them in November to see if they can reproduce that level of note perfect precision in the live arena. Interested to see if the singer's voice will hold up aswell as I have my doubts about him. I've heard that the band knows how to put on a show though so it should be excellent no matter what.
    i've seen them twice. you have no reason to worry about ZP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

will be going to see them in Leeds in December, can't wait!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I know its really impressive listening, but they arent talented as such. They are HIGHLY skilled, but its just a popular trend that they are doing. Nothing individual.

prepares for flaming

Return to listening to Pearl Jam and allow the rest of us to appreciate true talent and musicianship.

Qualities clearly lost on someone who wants to claim that a band who put together such exhilarating power metal arrangements are talentless.

And popular trend? Are you kidding me?

Bloody hell.

Playing that fast isnt talented, its skilled. They are two different things. If you spent all your time trying to play to Dragonforces speed, it'd be done. Its not so much talent...its skill. Anyone can do it although it'd take years. Pearl Jam have "true talent and musicianship", they've proven that for the lst 16 years.

I will take back the popular trend bit, a it was a wrong term to use, but a lot of people only like it for the speed. thats the main thing thats "popular" about it

"a band who put together such exhilarating power metal arrangements"

If you think that the speed at which they play is the reason that people like them then you're an even bigger fool than I originally thought.

Similiarly, if you think that the speed at which they play is their only positive attribute you're equally guilty of being foolish.

Stick to the simple stuff mate. I hear Kings of Leon are quite good too eh?

AlanOB wrote:
    If you think that the speed at which they play is the reason that people like them then you're an even bigger fool than I originally thought.

Similiarly, if you think that the speed at which they play is their only positive attribute you're equally guilty of being foolish.

Stick to the simple stuff mate. I hear Kings of Leon are quite good too eh?

Ok, I am a fan of Dragonforce too, and I will agree that the speed they play at IS the reason people like them. If you look past the speed you'll see that the majority of the songs follow the same structure, and have little to no melody. If you're that blind to the difference in musicianship between Pearl Jam and Dragonforce, then you really have no right to be calling people fools or recommending them 'simpler' bands. Go learn the difference between writing good songs and just playing fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Amazingly talented lads but the music is damn cheesy and boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

eddyc wrote:
    Amazingly talented lads but the music is damn cheesy and boring
    that's the post i've been waiting for, i said the same thing to my housemate the other day, and he looked at me in dismay, you either absolutely love them or see them as cheesy/boring/whatever. I doubt there is a compromise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ah, I'll throw them on every so often. Extremely talented players, with no pretences that their music is anything but pure cheese. They revel in it and, as such, kinda hard to listen to them an enormous amount. That said, Sonic Firestorm was in my discman for weeks on end when I got it. ;) they are kinda a love/hate band though. I suggest that they also, because of the contrast between their undeniable musicianship and their quite same-y songwriting, are one of those bands that people love to hate. Pity. They're great fun, and I still listen to them, just not one to constantly have in the CD player anymore really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Whats wrong with a bit of good cheese? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

At this stage I just never want to hear them again, back when Sonic Firestorm was released I loved them, didn't like their new album, not bothered going to see them live again either... but they were unreal live, so I'd still recommend them.

On a different note, Rusty Cooley is faster than Herman Li.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Aye, Herman may be fast but (especially on the newest CD) he's quite sloppy at speed. And there's certainly better. Same can be said for the band really, they're overly formulaic and after one or two tracks persistently uninteresting. This is standard power metal played at a near death metal speed. I enjoyed them around Sonic Firestorm but I think by 2004 or 2005 I was bored.

Yeah, I managed to absolutely love SF for about two months but bah.

I don't even like calling them PM, compared to Stratovarius or Rhapsody they're nothing.

AlanOB wrote:
    I hear Kings of Leon are quite good too eh?

What has that got to do with anything? and no, they arent that good.

Ovtivaran, thank you, that was my point (obviously not clearly argued). I like them for a few mins but ya can get bored a bit too easily.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wallet and people depending I may see them. They are hilarious and I imagine great to see live.

Wallet and people depending I may see them. They are hilarious and I imagine great to see live.

They are fantastic fun live. I would definitely go again, but I need the money! There are so many gigs on in November, and I've seen Dragonforce twice already, so I let them go!

Roll on Muse, Opeth, Tool and Tenecious D! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

good fun coming up, sunn o))) (might see them three times :P), unholy alliance, tool(if I can get a standing ticket), maybe dragonforce, maybe Tenacious D. Looking forward to this.

OctivarIan wrote:
    Roll on Muse, Opeth, Tool and Tenecious D!

Cant believe im not let go to this one. Acording to parents, its to close to exams, but Im let go to tenacious D, no arguments bout, wouldnt miss it for anything. And Iron maiden on the day i get my holidays...weird logic. Definately roll on Muse at the moment though

Opeth are great live, anyone here going to Exodus? 18 quid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 brownbread

in the words of my dear father when he heard me listening to fury of the storm:
    "that sounds like a eurovision song contest entry"

lol

the reason theyre so popular is because theyre bringing solos at lightning speed in to satisfy shredders and metallers,but still keeping it melodic,tight and [dare i say] pop-like to interest people who have no interest in mixolodian 6-string sweeps played at 300 beats a second

they do use exactly the same formula in songs,and some solos even copy themselves from previous songs[admitted by sam] but theyre guitarists and drummer are 3 of the best out there,so whats there not to like?

Advertisement