Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goalkeeping options for Ireland

• 21-09-2006 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

What are they?

With Given and Kenny currently injured, if we had a match tomorrow who would be in the squad, assuming a 23-man squad including three goalkeepers.

Would Stan have to look to the eL, or does he have enough options in the English/Scottish leagues to keep him from his nightmare?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

is there actually an EL keeper whos good enough? The pats keeper was very good against shels, is he the best in the EL? From what i have seen of the others, there not great.

Henderson is next in line i think. After Given were screwed. Even kenny is a average championship keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's not really what I was asking Chucky.

What are the options.

You are a CCFC fan aren't you? Do you not rate Mick Devine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

is there actually an EL keeper whos good enough? The pats keeper was very good against shels, is he the best in the EL?

Barry Ryan
    He has been very good this season and we would be even worse off without him but I dont think he would be International standard unless we were seriously in trouble.
    If Kennys injury was to keep him out of the next games we would have to call up Keily from International retirement.
    we have very few options after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Quigley is probably the best the eL has to offer and even he's quite prone to mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Kenny should be fit. He's an excellent keeper and decent backup to Given but just hasn't played many international games. I think Kenny is similar to Andy Johnson. They look more like Sunday league footballers than premiership footballers so they don't get the credit they deserve (although Johnson finally is after 3 years of non-stop scoring). :) If Paddy Kenny had all the ability he has now with a figure like Dean Kiely I think he'd actually be rated a lot higher. :) He's up there in the top 3 or 4 premiership keepers so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Joe Murphy at WBA (i think)
    and Graham Stack at Reading (i think)

Would probably be the main contenders. They're reserve keepers at the moment thou. Where is Nicky Colgan these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think Kenny should be fit. He's an excellent keeper and decent backup to Given but just hasn't played many international games. I think Kenny is similar to Andy Johnson. They look more like Sunday league footballers than premiership footballers so they don't get the credit they deserve (although Johnson finally is after 3 years of non-stop scoring). :) If Paddy Kenny had all the ability he has now with a figure like Dean Kiely I think he'd actually be rated a lot higher. :) He's up there in the top 3 or 4 premiership keepers so far this season.

he has worked on his weight a lot lost over a stone over he summer
    Joe Murphy and Graham Stack are the only other Irish keepers playing in England I can think off

Murphy is at Scunthorpe now. Stack only plays the cup games for Reading. Colgan is 1st choice at Barnsley.

Shane Supple at Ipswich is playing regularly since last season but at 19 it's probably too early for him. Randolph is playing regularly on loan at Gillingham while our U21 keeper Colin Doyle is backup to Taylor at Birmingham. Conrad Logan started for Leicester last night. There's a few young Irish keepers coming through so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote:
    Shane Supple at Ipswich is playing regularly since last season but at 19 it's probably too early for him.
    If he's good enough, he's old enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Basically the list is

Wayne Henderson
    Paddy Kenny (if fit)
    Nick Colgan
    Joe Murphy
    Graham Stack
    Shane Supple
    Colin Doyle
    Barry Ryan (highly unlikely)

Not exactly brimming with experience at the very highest level but Shay Given is always gonna be irreplaceable.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    If he's good enough, he's old enough.

He's not good enough, yet. Only making a break into the first team this season and is very raw. I played against him in schools football though and he will be quality in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Henderson and Colgan will be 3rd and 4th choice in the normal run of things. Saul Deeney has played at U21 level. Colin Doyle would be there or thereabouts.

Of eL keepers, not that any would even get a sniff would be Mick Devine and Mark Quigley.

Xavi6 wrote:
    He's not good enough, yet. Only making a break into the first team this season and is very raw.
    He's been 1st choice since Christmas.

eirebhoy wrote:
    He's been 1st choice since Christmas.

Apologies so. He is still very raw however. Goalkeepers mature a lot slower than outfiled players so I think at 19 he's too young to be thrown in at the deepend. I know Casillas did for Sapin and Igor Akinfeev has a number of caps for Russia at 19 but both of them were playing in top level club sides.

Shay Given came out of nowhere at a young age to...

A valid point but given our current predicament of playing catch up in the group, and facing the Czech Republic in two games time, I think we should take experience this time.

Playing him in the next friendly may be the way to go. Plus if it was thought he was ready at all for international football then surely he would have at least made one of the squads by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Indeed, Mick Devine is a great keeper and should be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I thought I heard someone on the radio talking about the Derry City keeper as an option........but I only caught the very tail end of it so I may be mistaken

I thought I heard someone on the radio talking about the Derry City keeper as an option........but I only caught the very tail end of it so I may be mistaken

David Forde is his name, I wouldn't think he is anywhere near the standard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Wouldnt say out of nowhere, me and my bro both though Bonner had lost it before the US World Cup and ended up being proved right. I had seen Given play and knew he was already pure class!! havent been proved wrong yet!

Like Kenny and he is a good keeper, there could be a chance of getting Kiely back from retirement

• Advertisement

The point i was making is that Given was a relative unknown when he made his debut.
    I think Kiely is the best option aswell. We are desperately short on expierenced goalkeepers

The point i was making is that Given was a relative unknown when he made his debut.
    I think Kiely is the best option aswell. We are desperately short on expierenced goalkeepers

Was unknown to alot of supporters who still lived in the dream of Italy 90 when Bonner saved but I knew him well and knew he was a better keeper, not blowing my own trumpet here or anything but have always rated Given high, even my bro when he was at Blackburn when he said he should have been first choice!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Was unknown to alot of supporters who still lived in the dream of Italy 90 when Bonner saved but I knew him well and knew he was a better keeper, not blowing my own trumpet here or anything but have always rated Given high, even my bro when he was at Blackburn when he said he should have been first choice!!

sounds suspiciously like trumpet blowing to me...!!! :D

Xavi6 wrote:
    sounds suspiciously like trumpet blowing to me...!!! :D

Ahh but you see I spent season banging on about Alan Quinn and that can be thrown in my face althou I still think he needs a chance

Also I think Glenn Whelan should be given a chance which has been thrown back in my face!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Big Nelly wrote:
    Given didn't make his competitive debut until the 95/96 season.

Hadn't Bonner retired from international football by then?

But I'm sure circa 1994 you knew all about Given, who only turned 18 that year.

Given didn't make his competitive debut until the 95/96 season.

Hadn't Bonner retired from international football by then?

But I'm sure circa 1994 you knew all about Given, who only turned 18 that year.

Sorry old age creeping in, always keep on thinking Im a young fellow and then I stand up and the back hurts, I meant to talk about Kelly so not a valid point! sorry! But kelly should have played in US instead of Bonner!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Sorry old age creeping in, always keep on thinking Im a young fellow and then I stand up and the back hurts, I meant to talk about Kelly so not a valid point! sorry! But kelly should have played in US instead of Bonner!!
    I don't follow what you are saying here? You always thought Alan Kelly was pure class and are yet to be proven wrong?

To be honest, I'm not sure what you are talking about, or if you are only trying to save face on foot of a statement like "I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

seansouth wrote:
    It's not really what I was asking Chucky.

What are the options.

You are a CCFC fan aren't you? Do you not rate Mick Devine?

Not really, good EL player but thats about it. Comes from the Paddy kenny of goalkeeping aswell. Always looks a bit cumbersome moving aobut.

I still dont know about Kenny, i think he pretty poor. Its a shame Kiely and Given were around the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

If Kiely is still so good why did Portsmouth buy Calamity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

After Given the rest that are in England are average with maybe henderson the best of a bad bunch so there is no reason EL keepers shouldnt be considered.

Mick Devine, David Ford and Dan Conner are just as good, if not better than the other alternatives IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

People aren't sure whether Forde is the best keeper in the Derry squad never mind the Eircom League .

When it comes to to goalkeepers the league is piss poor , none of them stand out from the rest you just have decent ones(like Devine or Ryan) and ones who are just plain poor .

Kenny is a good keeper and will play if fit . He rarely makes mistakes(a major strong point for a keeper) however he does lack the agility and reflexes of Given .

Colgan is next in line after that(whether he is third best or not is another quesion) , fairly average keeper .

kiely would be better than Kenny imo but he is retired and im not sure if there's any real need to recall him for just two games .

So it's gonna be Kenny and if not him Colgan , Henderson will probably be called into the squad and if not him Stack will .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

People aren't sure whether Forde is the best keeper in the Derry squad never mind the Eircom League .

When it comes to to goalkeepers the league is piss poor , none of them stand out from the rest you just have decent ones(like Devine or Ryan) and ones who are just plain poor .

Kenny is a good keeper and will play if fit . He rarely makes mistakes(a major strong point for a keeper) however he does lack the agility and reflexes of Given .

Colgan is next in line after that(whether he is third best or not is another quesion) , fairly average keeper .

kiely would be better than Kenny imo but he is retired and im not sure if there's any real need to recall him for just two games .

So it's gonna be Kenny and if not him Colgan , Henderson will probably be called into the squad and if not him Stack or Murphy will .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

lads, never mind the keeper....

what about the other 10???!

defence: apart from dunne & finnan, the rest are average or overhyped youngsters with zero experience.

the midfield :rolleyes: comprises of duff. that's it.

strike force: not good enough at the moment and can't win games without support from midfield (which comprises of 1 man).

pretty bleak overall. given, dunne, finnan, duff are the only players who are all proven international & top league quality and can hold their own amongst the best in the world.

the rest are average and out of their depth. Some, like miller, andy reid etc.. have shown they can play, but get stage fright when we need them.

the keeper is the least of my worries. kenny is a solid replacement. it's highly unlikely you'll need a third keeper.

smemon wrote:

defence: apart from dunne & finnan, the rest are average or overhyped youngsters with zero experience.

strike force: not good enough at the moment and can't win games without support from midfield (which comprises of 1 man).

pretty bleak overall. given, dunne, finnan, duff are the only players who are all proven international & top league quality and can hold their own amongst the best in the world.

the rest are average and out of their depth. Some, like miller, andy reid etc.. have shown they can play, but get stage fright when we need them.

the keeper is the least of my worries. kenny is a solid replacement. it's highly unlikely you'll need a third keeper.

I love how you didn't mention Robbie Keane!! He's so overrated it's ridiculous.

In fairness, Kev Doyle is finding his feet in the Premiership very well. He has to lead the line.

Ronnie O'Brien is the man we need in midfield, currently the best midfielder in the MLS and wants to play for his country......

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=338599&root=mls&cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

smemon wrote:

yes except the point of the Original Post is that Kenny is also injured, which means we do need a third keeper :)

Dean Kiely to come out of Retirement. James was bought because Harry found him falling off the back of a lorry and just couldnt resist the temptation to grab him before anyone else did ;)

• Advertisement

James was bought because Harry found him falling off the back of a lorry and just couldnt resist the temptation to grab him before anyone else did ;)

Or was he offered a bung to take him..... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

redzerdrog wrote:
    After Given the rest that are in England are average with maybe henderson the best of a bad bunch so there is no reason EL keepers shouldnt be considered.

Mick Devine, David Ford and Dan Conner are just as good, if not better than the other alternatives IMO.

David Ford is not a good keeper. He is quite poor from crosses and is just an average shot stopper. Dan COnnor would be good if he didnt suffer from nerves.

Mick Devine is better than Henderson and would actually have the mentality to a job for Ireland although nowhere near the class of Given. Barry Ryan was good too but never came on since the cocaine incident. Its funny the eircom league is not good enough for international football but you could say that about the entire National squad bar 5. Wonder where Joe Murphy went. Also Im sure Nicky Colgan will be called up the useless waster. BTW Henderson was dropped at Brighton - he is a 3rd division sub goalkeeper

Xavi6 wrote:
    I love how you didn't mention Robbie Keane!! He's so overrated it's ridiculous.

In fairness, Kev Doyle is finding his feet in the Premiership very well. He has to lead the line.

Ronnie O'Brien is the man we need in midfield, currently the best midfielder in the MLS and wants to play for his country......

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=338599&root=mls&cc=5739

The eircom league is head of the MSL

finnpark wrote:
    Barry Ryan was good too but never came on since the cocaine incident.

He's been one of Pats best players this season, according to my brother.

finnpark wrote:

No way José. Assuming you mean "ahead" of the "MLS" that is...

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He's been one of Pats best players this season, according to my brother.

Thats good to hear. Hes a very consistent keeper like devine whereas Connor and Ford are not.

BTW we could have this discussion about every position on the field. Owen Heary, Gamble, Stuart Byrne, Jason Byrne, Martyn etc are all as good as players that have been in the Irish panel in their respective positions.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    No way José. Assuming you mean "ahead" of the "MLS" that is...

Its all the same to me.

MLS is full of internationals and is fully professional with a fantastic youth system. I love the eL and all, but we're not really a patch on them. And as for their facilities... :eek:

finnpark wrote:

You've got to be joking. The MLS is a better standard by quite a bit. Players like Landon Donovan, Freddy Adu, Youri Djorkaeff, Josh Wolff, Chris Armas, Clint Mathis etc are better than what we have.

Maybe try watch the league, and Ronnie O'Brien, sometime. He's better than anything the eL has to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Did fairly well against City the other night from what I saw on the highlights, but I know very little else about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Kerr did mention Roche a few times as one to watch in the future when he was at forest . Mind you, he said the same thing about Joe Murphy

finnpark wrote:
    Its funny the eircom league is not good enough for international football but you could say that about the entire National squad bar 5.
    What do you mean by that? What is the level required to play international football? When it comes down to it we have a great amount of world class players for a country of our size.

What do you mean by that? What is the level required to play international football? When it comes down to it we have a great amount of world class players for a country of our size.

Errr....we only have one player and hes injured. Name them. Please don't say Kevil Kilbane :o

Xavi6 wrote:
    You've got to be joking. The MLS is a better standard by quite a bit. Players like Landon Donovan, Freddy Adu, Youri Djorkaeff, Josh Wolff, Chris Armas, Clint Mathis etc are better than what we have.

Maybe try watch the league, and Ronnie O'Brien, sometime. He's better than anything the eL has to offer.

Players go there to retire. You forgot to mention Ritchie Baker who played for New England - can't make Shels team right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement