Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerodorm Platinum from Aerobord

Options
  • 21-09-2006 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of using this stuff to insulate the slope of the roof in my story and a half house.

Has anyone ever usaed this stuff before and or would anyone recommend it. I was going to use 100mm between the rafters and then used the insulated plasterbords (Gyroc) under the rafters.

this is the link to the aerobord site

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

With petrochemical insulation materials like Aeroboard you get the caravan effect, where your caravan is like an oven 1 hour after the sun comes out.
    When you insulate to the same U-Value with a much denser material like Rockwool then you hold onto the heat a lot longer.
    The best effect can be achieved when you line the inside of your roof with 20mm windstop softboard after you put rockwool between the rafters.
    This gives a breathable roof which is healthier for your roof wood.

www.viking-house.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

With petrochemical insulation materials like Aeroboard you get the caravan effect, where your caravan is like an oven 1 hour after the sun comes out.
    When you insulate to the same U-Value with a much denser material like Rockwool then you hold onto the heat a lot longer.
    The best effect can be achieved when you line the inside of your roof with 20mm windstop softboard after you put rockwool between the rafters.
    This gives a breathable roof which is healthier for your roof wood.

www.viking-house.net

Nice one viking - CARAVAN EFFECT! - where'd you get that one from? Insulation stops passage of temperature EITHER DIRECTION - if its working!
    Aerobord platinum has a density of about 18KG/m3 Rockwool 24Kg/m3 - VERY little difference - DENSITY means nothing - if it did you'd insulate with lead or concrete.

On a vented sloped roof with 100mm grey EPS Platinum between the rafters you'll need another 50mm lining the under side PLUS the plasterboard - just to meet the Building Regs U-value of 0.20
    go for 100 + 60 in white EPS - get the same result - and save yourself a packet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hard to cut aeroboard to exact widths, I know the aerodorm has cuts to allow squeezing but they are about 12mm wide.
    I was going to use it as roof insulation in the shed but TBH after using the precut MOY isover in 400mm width I would rather pay the little extra for Rockwool/glass and be done.
    Polystyrene also has the nasty properties of being flammable and emits toxic smoke when burning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maud

ardara1 wrote:
    Nice one viking - CARAVAN EFFECT! - where'd you get that one from? Insulation stops passage of temperature EITHER DIRECTION - if its working!
    Aerobord platinum has a density of about 18KG/m3 Rockwool 24Kg/m3 - VERY little difference - DENSITY means nothing - if it did you'd insulate with lead or concrete.

Hi Adara

Here is a link which explains why dense insulations perform better, I got it from the Paroc website, scroll down to pages 15 + 16 there is a link to Paroc from Viking's website.
    http://www.paroc.com/SPPS/BI_attachments/Insulation%20Theory.pdf

Thanks for that Maud.

They use a very dense layer of insulation material called softboard on 48% of roofs in Switzerland to stop summer overheating and to improve the Decrement Delay (The time it takes for heat to make it's way through a roof).
    Granitewool insulation is used in most dishwashers so your dishwasher is still warm 10 hours after you turn it on. With Kingspan it would be cold after 1 hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

Thanks for that Maud.

They use a very dense layer of insulation material called softboard on 48% of roofs in Switzerland to stop summer overheating and to improve the Decrement Delay (The time it takes for heat to make it's way through a roof).
    Granitewool insulation is used in most dishwashers so your dishwasher is still warm 10 hours after you turn it on. With Kingspan it would be cold after 1 hour.

Viking - have you a link to the softboard website for info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maud

Any comments on the link I sent you Adara?
    You seem to have gone quiet.

Advertisement