Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT connection fails at peak times!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

bazpaul wrote:
    Howdy everyone,
    Now recently the connection fails around 5/6 O'Clock and simply does not work until the next morning. The Green DSL light on the box also starts to flicker on and off, and can stay off for a while sduring the evening.

If the DSL flashes is a lack of sync nothing to do with the username and password.

We really need to make sense here, DNS server problem has nothing to do with a flashing DSL light.

If the DSL light flashes is because the signal is lost and thats a fact.

I am not talking about know issues with BTs DNS servers thats not the subject of this post.

dub45 wrote:
    There is no logic to your argument. If this was the cause then there would be a huge number of Eircom customers complaining too along with other isp customers - this does not appear to be happening. (Presuming that bad lines would be spread on a random basis) Again if was the cause as more people were becoming connected then it would have been happening earlier whereas the complaints have suddenly started appearing. And again if it was the issue why is changing dns solving lots of problems apparentlly?

How in the world do you get a connection when you have no sync by changing the DNS servers?

I think you are talking about something else here.

kaizersoze wrote:
    The people having connections in this thread are having problems with losing connection not loosing sync. They still have sync. If their line quality degraded at peak times and SNR dropped below 6db then they would loose sync, wouldn't they?
    The problems they seem to be experiencing are log in problems which would point to a problem at BT's end rather than a problem between the customer and the exchange.
    It's like they get booted off BT's system at peak times due to lack of capacity or something.

That is correct. BTs DNS servers are not very "reliable" lately. Thats why I always have them manually and never had a problem with that.

But it is happening also with Eircoms.

But again, that is not what I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

In my case the DSL light does not flash, it remains solidly green. And the Lan Connections in Control Panel tells me I am connected. Nonetheless when I try to log on I get a "cannot find server" or "cannot find webpage" message. It happened again this evening around 9pm. I left it for an hour and was connected immediately when I tried again at 10pm. The service was then fine. But its frustrating and irritating that this is happening so often now with BT's service.

Aeneas wrote:
    In my case the DSL light does not flash, it remains solidly green. And the Lan Connections in Control Panel tells me I am connected. Nonetheless when I try to log on I get a "cannot find server" or "cannot find webpage" message. It happened again this evening around 9pm. I left it for an hour and was connected immediately when I tried again at 10pm. The service was then fine. But its frustrating and irritating that this is happening so often now with BT's service.

Hi!

Now thats different

Try setting up DNS servers manually

That should do it, otherwise you can use one of the other already mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Will changing DNS servers raise complications with BT down the road if I need their technical help?

Not at all

Those are BT DNS Servers anyway but you can use whatever you'd like, worst case scenario they might change it back again if you ever call them as part of their troubleshooting.

Give it a go and see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I've switched to Open DNS but for the last few Saturdays my BT connection has been failing intermittently.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

im getting DC'd bout 9pm each night and my router says it "failed to bring LCP up" - any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Could other people on BT please post what DNS servers they are having problems with? Judging by what Praetor has said and what I'm experiencing, BT seem to have several DNS servers that are working fine.

194.125.2.240 and .241 have the names ns4 and ns5.ns.esat.net
    Praetor's are ns1 and ns2, so I guess they're somewhat related?

I've also found these DNS server by following this naming scheme:
    ns3.ns.esat.net 192.111.39.100

This post suggests he was getting assigned him totally crazy servers - one of them's in Taiwan! However he didn't say if he was on BT or what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

zilog, I was having problems with the ones you posted (194.125.2.240 and .241) but since I changed to the opendns servers (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220) I haven't had a problem.
    I've also entered them into the router aswell as the network settings on the pc, if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

kaizersoze wrote:
    I've also entered them into the router aswell as the network settings on the pc, if that makes any difference.
    Entering them in your router just means it'll give out those addresses if it's serving DHCP so you don't have to add them manually on every device connected to the router. So from a performance point of view it won't really make any difference. The router itself doesn't really need to use DNS.

I still don't understand why I have had no trouble at all with their DNS servers. I'd use my PC nearly daily at home, and my brother and mother use another PC in the house and have had no trouble either. I do remember the internet being very slow one day a few weeks ago, but that may have just been boards before they moved to their new server :)

Advertisement