Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] 'In Town Without My Car Day' - Cyclist Launch "Sign Post to mark Car Madness"

Options
  • 21-09-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭

Press Release: 'In Town Without My Car Day' - Cyclist Launch "Sign Post to mark Car Madness"
    Date: 21 September
    Event Date: Friday 22 September at 1 pm
    Event Location: The Spire on O'Connell street
    For Immediate Use (Excellent Photo Op.) - 2.5m High by 2.5 Long mock Road Sign Post

The Dublin Cycling Campaign (DCC) has announced it intends to mark Car-Free Day (part of European Mobility Week) by unveiling a Sign Post showing how much quicker it is to make journeys by bicycle than by car in the city centre.

Dr. Mike McKillen, chairman of the DCC, explains "commuting car culture has brought such gridlock to the city centre that it is now much quicker to travel in the city centre by bicycle rather than by car. The benefits of the bicycle become even more
    apparent at peak times, when car speeds regularly drop to that of a pedestrian while cycling time remains largely unaffected."

Some examples of the times savings that choosing to travel by bicycle rather than car include:
    * Spike to Stephen's Green -5 mins bike; 21 mins car
    * Spike to the Point -7 mins bike; 22 mins car
    * Spike to Heuston Station -6 mins bike; 22 mins car
    [Note: these times measured at peak congestion periods and with cyclist stopping at red lights! ]

Yet everyday thousands of cars and goods vehicles trundle into the city centre. Dr. McKillen continues "People just don't seem to have gotten the message "Cities and cars don't mix". Our current 'CARS-R-US', approach to transport planning, can only lead to gridlock, pollution and high levels of road deaths".

Dr. McKillen concluded by stating "Our planners and decision makers need to stop thinking CAR and start thinking PEOPLE COST and ENVIRONMENT."

ENDS
    The Dublin Cycling Campaign is a voluntary organisation that has represented Dublin's commuting cyclists for over 15 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Will Andrews

Tomorrow Friday 22nd is Car Free Day.
    Dublin Cycling Campaign's out promoting cycling from 12:30 til 2:30pm at the spike.
    We'll have a mock signpost showing the huge time-savings to be made by
    cycling in town, and banners pointing out the benefits of cycling.
    We'll be handing out leaflets and looking for new members.

All are welcome- roll up and grab a few leaflets to hand out!

contact Will 086 6088843

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds good, shame Waterford will have feck all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

I've seen similar signposts in Galway over the past few years, they started off as paper signs and in the past year or 2 they have changed to corrugated plastic.

I think they're a great idea to encourage more cycling. The signs are placed on traffic light poles right at motorists' eye level, they give the estimated time to various destinations by bike - it can be quite frustrating when you've been sitting in traffic for 20 minutes to see how much quicker you could have reached your destination if you'd chosen to cycle.

Any plans for permanent signage like this in Dublin or in other cities?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

...and probably more cars yesterday than I've seen yet! Weather didn't help, admittedly.

Thread in motors probably got
    more traction for obvious
    reasons; bad mod Victor with
    yer mutiple posting! Seriously
    though, I can understand why
    it's relevant to multiple forums
    but is there an option to post
    one thread which is then linked
    from all of the forums? e.g. you
    start the thread in one and then
    move it into the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

blorg wrote:
    bad mod Victor with yer mutiple posting! Seriously though, I can understand why it's relevant to multiple forums but is there an option to post one thread which is then linked from all of the forums? e.g. you start the thread in one and then move it into the others?
    That is what I did. I wonder if I can send a redirect instead of the original post. Hmmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, I was thinking of the way when you see a post in a forum listing but preceded by "Moved:" and when you click you jump to the post in the other forum. Attains the visibility across multiple forums but keeps the discussion all in one place.

Advertisement