Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone wanna mod a case for a w/c setup?

• 21-09-2006 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

I got all the gear needed for a w/c setup off Unclerosco here on boards a few weeks back and havent gotten round to getting it fit into my case. Had a look there last night and came to the realisation there will be some serious modding of my case needed to get it all in(not even sure it will fit:confused: ).

I could probably have a go myself but I havent really got the time or the tools needed either. So would anyone be interested in having a go a getting this into my case. Monetary reward would be offered of course ;)

My case is a Gigabyte Aurora and the w/c gear I would need fitted is the pump, rad and res.

p.s. I'm not lazy ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

If you cant fit it in an aurora there aint much its going to fit in. Pump/rad/res is a bit vague, from the sounds of it they are massive bloody components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Well they probably will fit. All it needs is some clever placing and a bit of dremel work here and there.

The w/c gear in question is:

Rad
    Res
    Pump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

It could be done easy enough...but the rad is going to be a bit of a squeeze as they are mighty thick. The only place for it would be in the top of the case. The pump and res wouldn't be a problem as they are pretty small (res could be external or internal).

Check the size of the rad in the top of the case to see if there is enough room with the PSU in. (don't forget to add in enough room for fans! )
    You will also need a fan grill to pretty-up the holes in the case top. I think alphacool do ones specially for that rad.

If you don't fancy doing it yourself I'd be happy to do it for you (although it will be more fun doing it yourself) You can see an example of my work in my sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

hopeful wrote:
    It could be done easy enough...but the rad is going to be a bit of a squeeze as they are mighty thick. The only place for it would be in the top of the case. The pump and res wouldn't be a problem as they are pretty small (res could be external or internal).

Check the size of the rad in the top of the case to see if there is enough room with the PSU in. (don't forget to add in enough room for fans! )
    You will also need a fan grill to pretty-up the holes in the case top. I think alphacool do ones specially for that rad.

If you don't fancy doing it yourself I'd be happy to do it for you (although it will be more fun doing it yourself) You can see an example of my work in my sig.

Why arent the pics loading for me :(.

Why arent the pics loading for me :(.

Curses!!
    theimagehosting.com have changed their image codes. No way I'm going to change a hundred odd pic codes.

Here's one though :) Clicky for bigger!

137.852.th.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

hopeful wrote:
    Curses!!
    theimagehosting.com have changed their image codes. No way I'm going to change a hundred odd pic codes.

Here's one though :) Clicky for bigger!

137.852.th.jpg

I can attest to the quality of his work. And whats going to go into it is even worse

Get modding!

We are all waiting to see what terrifying things you are planning to do to my lovingly crafted old case :D

I'm still looking for inspiration for my next project. I have another old server case (this time an HP Netserver) but can't decide what to do with it.

PICT0003.0d6.th.jpg

Any ideas?

Coffey table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

flower pot ?

A high spec high powered cheese grater? With in-built dispenser of grated cheesy goodness?

Or you could give it a cool theme like the A-team. Man that music could make anything seem cool.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

krazy_8s wrote:
    A high spec high powered cheese grater? With in-built dispenser of grated cheesy goodness?

Ehh,

apple_037_l.jpg

:p

Ok finally decided to get the finger out and get this setup installed on Saturday. Its tricky business though trying to find somewhere for the pump, res and rad to go.
    Anyway I’ve come up with the following:

Rad
    Going to put this on the back cos it lines up nicely with the 2x120mm fans so all I’ll need is to get some bolts. Only thing that worries me is if the fans will push enough air across the rad to cool, it’ll be warm aswell coming from the case?

Res
    I have two of these res’s and I reckon it’ll look pretty cool I stick them on the front grill like this . I’m going to run the tubes from the res’s under the pc and drill some holes on the under side of my case for them to go through into the pump.

Pump
    This is where it gets tricky. Where the hell can I fit the pump in?
    I was thinking under the hard drives on the bottom right or else just below the psu.

So any thoughts, advice, pointers etc?

Your idea about the rez's is good, i like it alot.

The Rad i wouuld put at the top on the outside with 2 fans blowing air through it, and 2 pulling air out. This will require alot of dremmel work, and fully dissembeling the pc. Even though some people say this has no effect. So maybe having it at the back will be a good idea :)

The pump should be mounted at the bottom. or middle, not the top. under the hdds is a nice idea. but will it fit ?

Can wait to see some pics anyway :)

Putting the rad on top of the is a no go for me because I'm a bit tight for space as the pc is sat under a desk and only has about 1cm clearance :eek:

I have a fan controller so I'll probably just put the rpm on the two rear fans up a bit or maybe even get some new 120mm fans like the akasa ambers?

I reckon the rad is fine on the rear of the case...two fans should do it...you dont need huge airflow.

Won't the pump fit in the space above the hard drives or is there stuff in the way? Can't tell from the pics.

Haven't I seen that res idea somewhere? lol Would look even better if you recessed them into that panel but it would mean taking a dremel to it.

Also waiting on pics of the finished article :)

BTW...the Ambers don't give huge airflow...but are pretty quiet.

Akasa ambers are nice and quiet. but their airslow isnt that impressive. maybe look at two deltas, and volt them down to 5v and use the fan controller.

Advertisement