Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit

Options
  • 21-09-2006 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Friends;

Is allow for the Tenant to leav the Apartment/House before the end of the Contract??

and what about the Deposit??

Can the owner refuse to give the deposit back to the tenant??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm almost 100% sure that you can't break your lease unless you pay the months remaining (probably another fee ontop of that for leaving early)

Some information from myhome.ie suggests:

As a landlord you may withhold a deposit (or part of a deposit) only if:
    - the tenant has not given you proper notice when leaving.
    - you have been left with outstanding bills (i.e., public utilities) or rent.
    - the tenant has caused damage beyond normal wear and tear.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I'm pretty sure you only need to give 28 days notice of breaking the lease, the same goes for the landlord. This increases with the number of years you have been renting the place.

This stuff was all updated in the 2004 Residential Tennancies Act, you can see more info here:
    http://www.prtb.ie/act.htm

The notice times are:

For tennant:
    less than 6 months : 28 days
    6 months to 1 year : 35 days
    1 to 2 years : 42 days
    2 or more years : 56 days

For landlord
    less than 6 months : 28 days
    6 months to 1 year : 35 days
    1 to 2 years : 42 days
    2 to 3 years : 56 days
    3 to 4 years : 84 days
    4 or more years : 112 days

If you give the required noticed they cannot keep your deposit for "breaking lease". They can take deposit if you wreak the place or leave without giving the proper notice.

I assume this is not effected by the details of your lease but I'm not sure.

*edit* "Longer notice may be given, but not more than 70 days where the tenancy has lasted less than 6 months." I guess you need to check what the notice periods are on your lease, if there are none then these probably apply by default.

Advertisement