Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

premature baby

Options
  • 21-09-2006 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Anyone on this forum have a premature baby and I was wondering what benifets you are entitled to ?

I know you get 1.5 times childrens allowance and I think you also get a once off payment as part of maternity payment.

Anything else ? e.g. help from HSE ? entitlements ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Gallantman,

I'm not aware of any extra benefits when you have a premature baby. I think you might be getting it mixed up with extra benefits for having twins/ triplets.

This site might help.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/birth/benefits_and_entitlements_relating_to_birth/child_benefit.html

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

We had a premature and from what I remember you are't entitled to any additional benifts. But since the premature babys dates effect your materity leave (ie start 6weeks before) you should get a letter from a doctor and sent that to the department of social and family affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Agree with the others - you are not entitled to any extra benefits because a baby is born early but all child related benefits you were entitled to already start earlier - hth

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gallantman

Yes - it looks like I'm getting my children allowance payments mixed up.

Had heard about payments from social welfare and help from the HSE but that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are finding things genuinely difficult, then your local community welfare officer might be able to help you out. They are usually based in your local health centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

No extra payment specifically in relation to prematurity. We had a welcome windfall when our little girl was born 6 weeks early in Dec 03. Because my wife wasn't working, we were able to claim the €700 home carers allowance for the tax year 2003 (which worked out about €70 per day!). And the funny thing is that she stayed in hospital all that time and didn't get out until mid-Jan 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Home carers allowance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

What's home carers allowance? DH gets a home carers Tax relief because I'm a sahm, but it's no where near that amount :confused:

sahm ? Stay at home Mammy ?
    Yes the transferance of tax credits which is only allowed if you are married but not if you are co habiting, and yet the dept of socail welfare will see a cohabiting couple as a married couple for means testing but not the revenue.

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/revguide/homecarerstaxcredit.htm

As far as i know the carers allownance is for very specific cases and not for mind your own healthy children.

http://oasis.gov.ie/health/health_related_benefits_and_entitlements/carers_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Yeah thead, stay at home mam, sorry:o

The way the system works is madness alright! We get home carers allowance tax relief, which DH gets as tax credits. I was beginning to wonder if I was missing out on something there :D

• Advertisement

Funny isn't that that one government dept ( socail welfare ) sees a cohabiting couple and thier children as a family and another government dept ( tax and revenue ) doen'st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

IF you're a stay at home mother, your husband is entitled to an extra tax allowance amounting to E700 per year. It probably doesn't make much of a difference to the wages when distributed throughout the full year, but in the case of RainyDay when he had his tax for that year re-assessed it worked out he was entitled to this tax relief (even though baby wasn't born until the 2nd last week in the last month of the tax year)and got a nice cheque. Wish it happened more often!
    Just talk to the Revenue Commisioners about this home carers allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

kelle wrote:
    IF you're a stay at home mother, your husband is entitled to an extra tax allowance amounting to E700 per year. It probably doesn't make much of a difference to the wages when distributed throughout the full year, but in the case of RainyDay when he had his tax for that year re-assessed it worked out he was entitled to this tax relief (even though baby wasn't born until the 2nd last week in the last month of the tax year)and got a nice cheque. Wish it happened more often!
    Just talk to the Revenue Commisioners about this home carers allowance.
    Thanks for your correct clarification of my post. Apologies if my poor terminology caused any confusion.

Advertisement