Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a network

Options
  • 21-09-2006 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hey
    Im trying to set up a wired network for 3 computers and also a wireless network. Basically I want to be able to transfer files between the computers on the network and access the internet. However Im not sure if I have all the necessary hardware.

The hardware I have atm is:
    https://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312788
    https://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306148

Will this be sufficient? Also, how should I set up the network?
    Thanks in advance
    Kev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The first router you link to already has a four port switch installed in it. All you need to do is connect the three computers and your phone line to this. Make sure your software firewall isn't blocking incoming traffic on the local LAN ip range (whatever it may be, something in the 192.168.x.y range) and you should be good to go.

The wireless router is slightly over kill, an access point would have done the same job. Either way, just plug the wireless into the wired using one of the switch points on the wireless router. Don't use the point for the phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Aidan has it the wrong way round - the 2nd device is all you need. It has a 4 port switch for the 3 wired computers, and also supports wireless access, so it will do everything you need.

There's almost no setup involved on the LAN side of things - just plug the PCs in and they'll get an IP address automatically. For wireless, you'll want to set up WPA encryption. To connect to the internet, you'll want to bridge the DSL modem if you've got DSL, or just plug the broadband connection into the routers WAN port for most cable or wireless BB services.

(If you don't have your broadband yet, it may be cheaper to get a wireless router when you order the broadband).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Aidan has it the wrong way round
    Right, sorry, was in the middle of something when I posted and wasn't thinking... Appologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Thanks for the replies.

So far I have managed to set up the home network but Im having trouble bridgeing the dsl modem. Simply plugging it in to the router doesnt seem to work. Any ideas?

Im using zonealarm firewall on all three comps but I am unable to configure it to allow filesharing. I currently have to turn the firewalls off completely.

Also, is it risky to enable file sharing between the computers. Is there a higher chance of people outside the network accessing my files while is enabled?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Kevo wrote:
    So far I have managed to set up the home network but Im having trouble bridgeing the dsl modem. Simply plugging it in to the router doesnt seem to work. Any ideas?
    See the FAQ in the Wireless forum for pointers to setting up Bridging on DSL modems.
    Im using zonealarm firewall on all three comps but I am unable to configure it to allow filesharing. I currently have to turn the firewalls off completely.
    Filesharig on an XP Home network is hard enough, without bringing firewalls into it! (Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to offer. I stopped using ZoneAlarm years ago).
    Also, is it risky to enable file sharing between the computers. Is there a higher chance of people outside the network accessing my files while is enabled?
    No. Access from outside will be prevented by the router. Obviousy, if one of the machines on the LAN is compromised, then it will have access to the other machines on the LAN, but the only way to protect the machines entirely is to never connect them to the network, so at some stage you have to balance the probabilities. As long as all of the machines on the LAN are running up to date AV software, and get regular spyware scans, you should be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement