Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone while flying

• 21-09-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can you use your phones mp3 player on a flight?
    I know phones are not allowed, so if I took out the sim card, could I use the phone just for mp3s?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i would highly doubt they would allow you to, dispite removing the sim card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

prospect wrote:
    Hi,

Can you use your phones mp3 player on a flight?
    I know phones are not allowed, so if I took out the sim card, could I use the phone just for mp3s?

Thanks

Didn't swine-air allow passengers to use mobile and laptop facilities on board their flights recently. With regard to using your phone without the sim card, it still tranmits a signal for emergency numbers, (999, 112 etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Hal1 wrote:
    With regard to using your phone without the sim card, it still tranmits a signal for emergency numbers, (999, 112 etc).
    yah, therefore still unusuable

The only phone's you are allowed use is the ones that have "Flight Mode", when you enable this, its immediatley stops transmitting from your mobile, but your phone is still usuable(not to make calls, or text, just to play with)

Sharp afaik is the only manafacturer that have this feature available on their mobiles....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

When you switch on a K800i it gives you the option to start in 'flight mode' which I presume is one where it doesn't transmit any signals (so just to play mp3s/ camera / etc).

Doubt any current flight crew would accept that the phone does it though..

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

would offline mode not do the trick? and its a proven myth that cell phones do not affect the plane so just listen away(only after the plane has taken off and about 20 mins before landing just to be safe)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

how would the flight crew know if its just in your pocket as an mp3 player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

LoBo wrote:
    When you switch on a K800i it gives you the option to start in 'flight mode' which I presume is one where it doesn't transmit any signals (so just to play mp3s/ camera / etc).

Doubt any current flight crew would accept that the phone does it though..

Aye, Flight Mode was designed to be used on planes, where mobiles are otherwise not allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

nevf wrote:
    yah, therefore still unusuable

The only phone's you are allowed use is the ones that have "Flight Mode", when you enable this, its immediatley stops transmitting from your mobile, but your phone is still usuable(not to make calls, or text, just to play with)

Sharp afaik is the only manafacturer that have this feature available on their mobiles....

My Nokia 6233 has it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think one of the Sony Ericcson phones has flight mode (P800), highly unlikely the cabin crew will be able to tell that or allow it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

did I hear that ryanair allow mobile phones on flights now. Apparently they pose no flight risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

The Qtek 8310 / Vodafone V1240 also has flight mode.

As to Ryanair and using phones on board, that'll happen around mid-2007 when they install their own phone equipment on board. It'll act as a mini-phone network, so you'll effectively be roaming on a Ryanair network ;) Heaven knows what they'll charge for this service, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Okay, thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

nevf wrote:

Most manufacturers produce models with flight mode. All nokia Symbian phones since around the time of the later 66xx line have it, and it did come in some of the earlier variants too. Flightmode though, the problem being as mentioned, is something the flight crew are most likely to not comprehend and will still just insist on "has to be switched off".

SE has a strange flightmode - sim has to be in to use it. Not a problem if you are just using your regular phone on a plane but it does mean that if you get a new phone and want to transfer data elsewhere, or simply wish to use an old SE phone as a media player, you can't without a second sim. Bit odd, and especially when you consider most other brands allow flightmode without a sim inserted.

Advertisement