Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Beds?

Options
  • 21-09-2006 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

Hey all, i'm looking to buy a decent bed & mattress (i suffer from backache) and am looking for some suggestions for places to shop around dublin. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

If the back is bad then the memory foam mattress is your only man.
    Brand names like Tempur and Kmed, not cheap, but worth it.
    Arnotts certainly sell them, probably Clerys do as well.
    They make pillows from the same foam, but we found them too hot in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Try http://www.duxiana-irl.com/ in Dundrum, again not cheap but fine quality bed.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Elara Lady

hey,

i got a great deal on a bed in arramount furniture on the fonthill road.... it was €1150 and i got it for €420....best money i ever spent, only trouble is getting out of it for work...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There's a guy on the Harmonstown Road, has a big variety of beds and seems to know a lot about the topic. He can do a decent enough price. Has a big ad in the yellow pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

The key is the mattress. I got an ex-display bed from Bargaintown for 200 euro and bought the best mattress available in Argos. Some folk buy an expensive bed and then scrimp on the mattress, thats @rse backwards in my book ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

I have a dodgy back, too and I recently bought a bed in AJ Furnishings or AJ Furniture (can't remember exact name) on Capel Street. The bed&mattress came to 1000 Euro. It's a lovely birch kingsize bed and the mattress is foam with a 7cm memory foam layer on top. It is THE business. I looked into pure memory foam but I found them way too sinky, this one moulds nicely to the body and I can feel how it supports my body everywhere I need it. Best purchase ever. He's got a number of beds on display but he's got a brochure and you can order the beds in differenct wood etc and he's got two types of mattress, one is slightly firmer than the other, we bought the slightly more expensive one, I can't remember though how much the bed was versus the mattress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

Robinsons behind steph green SC - they are v nice and have orthopedic beds for bad backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

I got a great bargain from Arramount (Dundalk), the bed was just €119, a nice plain and simple wood double, with slatted headboard... IUKWIM!

And then spent the money on a matress!

I too have heard the memory foam ones are the best for a bad back. Isn't there a memory-foam blanket/matress protector sort of thing you can get too???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If you want, I can give you details of a bedding company in Meath. My dad works there and would be able to get you a discount I'm sure. They regularly deliver to Dublin so it wouldn't be an issue getting it to you. Any size beds made that you wanted. Send me a PM if you wish, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 furni

memory foam is coming into lots of shops now, there are two types, complete foam types and combination types. (Springs + Foam on top)

I too have seen people pay a lot for a Bed and skimp on the mattress.
    I would like my comfort!
    Richard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I've been trying out a lot of beds, mattress'es lately. The best pocket sprungs seems to great, the cheaper ones not so great. But the good ones are very expensive. Found one I liked but the price was about 4k. :D The memory foam seems to more comfortable at a cheaper price 500-1k. The pocket sprung foam might be where the best compromise is. Though I reckon a sprung mattress will last longer, I don't think it will be comfortable for the last while of its lifetime.

Does the base (sprung or not) matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hey all, i'm looking to buy a decent bed & mattress (i suffer from backache) and am looking for some suggestions for places to shop around dublin. Thanks.

Be sure to get an Ortyhopaedic mattress, avoid the soft mattresses, killers for back sufferers. You'll get top quality in Clery's/Arnotts, most of all avoid the garage guys, most sell crap and the savings are negligible.

A top quality product isn't that expensive, but you'll pay dearly in back pain for cheaper no-name alternatives. Kellets and Kayfoam Woolfson are two well established Irish manufacturers, both also sell abroad and that's good endorsement.

I've always had firm mattresses and prefer them. But the thinking these days seems to be support, not firmness is key. Theres a sutble difference.

a firm mattress gives a point support, and can create pressure points, if you provide a suface that offers total body support it reduces the pressure points.

I have found sleeping on the traditional mattress that you will turn a few times during the night, with the memory foam mattress i don't tend to change position during the night.

Memory foam is a layer on the top 2 to 3 inches that provides the comfort, the rest of the mattress is to provide the structure and support, this can be done by the use of either springs (pocket springs even better) or using high density foam.

Richard
    www.furniture.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Well I've got one of those with density foam underneath and a layer of memory on top. I've had my fair share of backtrouble and can personaly vouch for the benefits of these type mattresses. I used to also get a really stiff neck on the old mattress (which was a cheap pocket-sprung in rented accommodation) and I have no such problem anymore.

Have to say I'm tempted to try a foam bed. When I test them in the shops I think the foam ones are better than many of the traditional sprung ones, even the orthopaedic ones. With the better pocket sprung ones its harder to decide which is more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cork17

Hi all, could anyone recommend a shop in Cork where they give good (impartial!) advice about mattresses? I have a bad back and have spent a lot of money already on mattresses that were no good for me (a Tempur mattress that appeared to be too firm, and a Sleepeasy medium mattress with the same result) :mad: So far I haven't had any good advice. I'm reluctant to buy a mattress online....
    I saw an advert for a 'mattress fitting service' from a UK company (they don't deliver in Ireland), would anyone know if anything similar exists in Ireland? Thanks a mill!

I seen this system in operation, maybe it is the kind of thing you are looking for.

http://www.mynushop.com/beds_custom.htm

Thanks,
    Richard
    www.furniture.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Go to the great sale in Lifestyle Furniture in Portlaoise this weekend (19,20,21 Jan) and buy yourself and really good quality Irish made solid bed and then like others say buy a really good mattress with memory foam. Beds frames in Lifestyle and brilliant and then you can buy a good mattress anywhere. Our guests tell us that our guest beds are fab and they don't even have a memory foam matress. A good solid bed frame can be very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 webbrowser

You can also buy beds online from these people..

www.beds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does webbrowser work for beds.ie I wonder?!

That said I used them and can recommend them.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 webbrowser

No I dont work for beds.ie I am an underpaid worker at the AIB. However I have bought from them recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fair enough - just an obtuse subject as first post

Welcome. :)

Mike.

We have just finished a major update of our website www.furniture.ie you can now shop and compare beds from different companies all over Ireland.

Advertisement