Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Disk

Options
  • 21-09-2006 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Hello people,

I have my NCT early October, it has been expired for quite a while but for reasons i won't go into, i have only been able to get a test for this date.

So, IF i were to be caught at a checkpoint, what would be the penalty for not having a vaild NCT? If it makes a difference, i do carry the confirmation for my test in October in my wallet, just to confirm that i do actually have the test coming up.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

They rarely even check. In three years I must have been stopped 20 times or so and only once was I asked for my NCT. I never had it on display

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Hmmm, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My car failed the first time around too and like yourself I didn't get it done for approx 3 months after (between going on hols and waiting on the next available date) I rang the NCT people up and asked what should I do if stopped by a copper and she told me that they can't say anything to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hypothetical situation (of course!)

My mate, who we'll call Fred, for the purposes of this exercise... Car was due it's first NCT in March 2005. It was never done. If Johnny, I mean Fred, waits until next March, when the car should be doing its second NCT to do the test, and if it passes, will Fred get a NCT disc until March 2009 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

LundiMardi wrote:
    Hello people,

I have my NCT early October, it has been expired for quite a while but for reasons i won't go into, i have only been able to get a test for this date.

So, IF i were to be caught at a checkpoint, what would be the penalty for not having a vaild NCT? If it makes a difference, i do carry the confirmation for my test in October in my wallet, just to confirm that i do actually have the test coming up.

Thanks

It's not a disk !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

testicle wrote:
    Hypothetical situation (of course!)

My mate, who we'll call Fred, for the purposes of this exercise... Car was due it's first NCT in March 2005. It was never done. If Johnny, I mean Fred, waits until next March, when the car should be doing its second NCT to do the test, and if it passes, will Fred get a NCT disc until March 2009 ?
    If Fred does the NCT after the anniversary of registration then it will be two years from the registration date. However, if he does the test before the date then the cert may only last until March 07. However you are allowed to do your test up to 3 months before the date and it lasts for two years from the date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

According to the NCT website it is a 'legal requirement to display an NCT disc on a car of 4 years old and older. They also state that it is the responsibility of the Garda to enforce this'!!!!!!!!

On another tack - a driving tester / examiner cand and will refuse to take a car on test that does not display a valid NCT disc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

They can't take your car only bring you to court over it where you will be fined. Mine is out by a month, went through a checkpoint last night. They didn't even bat an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

professore wrote:
    It's not a disk !!!!!!
    Or even "It's not a disc !!!!!". ;)

Advertisement