Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remenents Of Hurricane Gordon Over Ireland.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

strongest winds now seem round isle of man northern ireland - Malin head 76mph gust accordin to http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

My lights are still flickerin but it doesnt seem to be to bad on the east coast but I don't know if the strongest winds have past

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

All is quiet here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

in donegal here is crazy. just went for a walk, branches flying everywhere. lights are flickering. its cool. is it raining anywhere? starting to come on here

yea it look stormy in donegal. Dunno about ur rain met office radar is just showin a couple of showers over donegal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Recorder 82mph in Malahide. It was really bad. Debris everywhere atm. Will report back in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Is that it over for tonight on the East coast or is there more to come?
    Deathly calm in South Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i think thats it for Dublin . Dead quiet.

Here was Dun Laoghaire Pier while I was there. The sea was rough but as the wind was coming from the South the waves wernt great with only a few clearing the top of the East Pier. Saturday promises 65kph winds from the east :D:D:D

IM000379.jpg

Almost suspiciously quiet though :p

Edit: Bring on Saturday!

darkman2 wrote:
    Recorder 82mph in Malahide. It was really bad. Debris everywhere atm. Will report back in the morning.

Thats 40mph more than what i got and your just up the road from me.:confused:
    Branches were felled here too.Not many though.

Is that it over for tonight on the East coast or is there more to come?
    Deathly calm in South Dublin .

Yea its over was always going to be a quick storm. I am pretty dissapointed with all the warnings of stronger winds for east and they ended up further west. But I am glad my electric stayed on couldnt be arsed resettin all my electric clocks to right time in the mornin lol :(

• Advertisement

Aye, that's what I mean (also disappointed). I only stayed up to keep a watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie wrote:
    Thats 40mph more than what i got and your just up the road from me.:confused:
    Branches were felled here too.Not many though.

Yup, can now confirm, 82.1 mph recorded on Malahide Eastuary and at Balrothery in Howth. Probrably the 'funnel' effect so that would distort the figure for land. Bloody windy though in the Irish sea id bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

My internet connection was taken out as I was typing up a reply here last night. That's the downside of wireless broadband I suppose.

It was calm in Drogheda town until about 8.15 or 8.30. It was pretty strong here. I was suprised at how sudden it was considering there was no apparent front crossing over.

It was worse when I got home and it's miraculous that most things in the garden are fine and the electricity stayed on all night.

Max gust at Dublin airport was 49kts.
    59kts at casement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It's likely my power will be gone for the day. Using the gennie on the fridge and freezer at moment.

1300 households out with this outage and there wasn't even a recorded announcement detailing this, but there was detailing 2 other areas in Co. Wicklow area

Thye recorded announcement mantioned Tullow, Avoca, Gorey, Bray and huge number of other smaller places. That's widespread outages.
    Laughable what's been reported on the media about power outages.

Only 6,000 customers left without power...I'd say multiply by 10.

Yes we are still without power here too.

Back by lunchtime my aunt sally.

The generator here is the tractor driven farm one,its 20kva so quite powerfull.
    It's easily running the milking machine,compressors water pumps and the house,I think we could run a small village on it.Its 12 years old.

All hail the generator \o/ \o/ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

power still gone.

Poles need replacing, I should have it back by 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Luckily the only ESB pole I've seen damaged was one with 230V wires feeding a single house near me. The wires were resting on a 30 pair telephone cable so the road was kept clear:D I would have missed my train otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Big trees down in Stamullen, Co Meath and a fair few roof tiles flew off during the height of the storm. Power was out for a couple of hours too. arrgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

From the wexford people

http://www.unison.ie/wexford_people/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1697093&issue_id=14703
    Town on alert but feared floods fail to hit Quays

Wexford was on major alert last week as high tides and strong winds combined to increase the risk of flooding and storm damage.
    Borough Council staff were out in force as Wexford Harbour reached dangerously high levels on Thursday night.
    A new protective flood barrier was installed at the Crescent Quay where a huge amount of water came in during the storm of 2004, causing substantial damage to properties.
    Engineers and outdoor staff closely monitored the rising levels from early evening, intending to close streets and detour traffic if there was flooding.
    A total of 1,500 sand bags were distributed to businesses and households in areas at risk, in addition to the large number of sandbags handed out prior to the coastal flood warning for September 10.
    'We knocked on doors to make sure that everyone was aware of the possibility of flooding,' said the Assistant Borough Engineer, Paul Cullen.
    Most people heeded the warning and banked up their doors with sand bags and barriers.
    'We had an emergency plan in place in case of flooding. The plan was to close roads and stop additional traffic from coming into town,' he said.
    Dangerously high tides, a strong south-east wind and low pressure in the region made the risk of flooding very likely. These were exactly the conditions which produced the worst flooding that Wexford has seen in living memory two years ago.
    Council outdoor staff kept a close eye on quay levels throughout the evening as fishermen worked hard to secure their boats but fortunately, the wind changed shortly after 8 p.m., turning more southerly and then south-westerly.
    Staff stayed on Wexford quays until after 10 p.m. that night to ensure there was no change in weather conditions.
    There was no flooding in Wexford town but flooding damage was caused at the Irish National Heritage Park in Ferrycarrig where part of the public road was also flooded. The low-lying Heritage Park suffered extensive damage two years ago.
    A spokesman for Wexford Fire Brigade confirmed that they received no flooding calls during the night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement