Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rav 4 owners

Options
  • 21-09-2006 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

I am looking at various cars as my next purchase. I am interested in getting a Rav 4 and I would appreciate anyones views on them. I would be looking for the Long wheel based 5 door model, probably 2002/2003.

Petrol vs Diesel any opinions

What areas should I look at when buying 2nd hand, any common faults/weak areas.

4x2 4x4 ??

What are the various models Luna etc...

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

muletide wrote:
    I am looking at various cars as my next purchase. I am interested in getting a Rav 4 and I would appreciate anyones views on them. I would be looking for the Long wheel based 5 door model, probably 2002/2003.

4x2 4x4 ??

Thanks for any help

There is no long wheel base version of the Rav4, there is a 3 door and a 5 door(this is the one your probably talking about).

4x2 means it is 2 wheel drive which is perfect for driving on normal roads. 4x4 means it is 4 wheel drive which is useful off road sort of as these type of vehicles don't really venture off road that much. Which to go for depends on your use of the vehicle? The 4x2 will be alot better on fuel due to being lighter than the 4x4 version. If you really need to go off road then an SUV like the Rav4 is not the vehicle. These SUVs are best suited on tarmac and the Rav4 drives and feels very much like a normal car just with a higher driving position.

Petrol or Diesel - depends on how much driving you do. The more miles you drive then diesel would be more economical. Most 4x4s (even SUVs) are heavy on fuel due to their weight and bulk design. The diesel version will be more expensive to buy than the petrol model. Saying that the Rav4 was available with a 1.8 petrol engine afaik which is ok on fuel considering it is an SUV but a bit slugish. The 2.0 litre D4-D diesel is very good on fuel and the vehicle feels alot more responsive with this engine.

Reliability is generally not a big issue with Toyotas in general. Just look out for signs of abuse on the bodywork especially the underneath where the previous owner may have decided to drive around a field once. Also check for a tow hitch on the rear as it may have been used to pull a trailer.

The different models consist of the basic model which is the Terra or Aura. This will have electric windows and mirrors, cd player and remote central locking. The Luna model will have more comfy seats, electric sunroof or air conditioning/climate control on newer models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

cheers bazz. You seem to know your stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭duckegg

muletide wrote:

4x2 4x4 ??

Thanks for any help
    Not very tec but, i drive a rav and never had a problem with it for the last 2 years [ bought it new ] i love the extra height it gives you you can see a lot more in traffic and the space in back is big plus you can fold or completely remove the back seats .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My uncle's a Toyota dealer and the aunt has driven 6-7 of them since they were launched in the mid-late 90's, the only cars she preferred were the Landcruiser 100 and the Celica.

Great car if you can get the Sol with leather

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

When the second generation Rav4 came out first the base model was Terra. This was quite basic as it didn't have a CD player, or Aircon or Sunroof. it was dropped when the facelifted model came out in 2003, and when the Aura became the base model. THe only difference between the Aura and Luna (most common spec) was that the Aura had an electric sunroof and the Luna had Aircon.

Engines wise, there were 3 options, the 1.8 VVT-i 2 wheel drive, which was by far the biggest seller in Ireland, mainly due to the massive saving over the diesel model (€7,000). the 1.8 litre model is quite nippy, the only criticism I'd have is of the lack of grip through the (narrower) front wheels when taking off or when on roundabouts. The 2.0 petrol is quite similar in performance to the 1.8, the only difference being more grip. The best option is the 116bhp 2.0 D-4D, as this gives a good blend of performance, economy and looks (2.0 petrol and diesel models have wider body mouldings and wider wheels, diesel models also get an air scoop on the bonnet)
    The main gripes with the disesel are the higher purchase, higher servicing costs. If you're not a keen driver or only do small mileages, the 1.8 is a better bet.

Spec wise, the Sol is abviously the one to want. Unfortunately it was only available on 2.0 models, and very very few were sold in the first place.
    My reccomendation would be to seek out an ex demo Luna model, which were often fitted with leather interior, side steps, spoiler etc. these oprions generally don't add much to the second hand price on Rav4's, therefore make them great value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Thanks for that colm

Advertisement