Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath/Cavan Planning

Options
  • 21-09-2006 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭

Hi, my partner and I are from the north meath area, we are having problems obtaining planning permission on a site 300yards from her family home which was the first house ever built by her grandfather on a cul-de-sac of eleven house. Her family have lived there for over 60 years.

We are only 7 miles from the meath/cavan border and I have been told there is no such thing as a local need required in co cavan. Is this true? I have seen many sites advertised for sale with full planning permission but then some have (local needs) in brackets at the bottom of the ad.

How can a site have full planning on it if it says local needs?Is there a way around this? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As far as I know there are hashed areas in most counties (including Cavan), leaving the sites only available to locals. I would have thought that if you are trying to build within 300 yds of your "partners" home she would qualify as a local. Is there some other problem with the application?

One reason for refusal these days is concentration of septic tanks in a particular area, polluting ground water etc.
    That was why several applications near me were refused in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ginger83 wrote:
    we are having problems obtaining planning permission on a site 300yards from her family home which was the first house ever built by her grandfather on a cul-de-sac of eleven house. Her family have lived there for over 60 years.
    What exactly are the difficulties you are experiencing? Can your partner not prove her bona fides or are there other problems with the site itself.

A little more detail would help

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Speak to the Planners. They are humans despite all the misinformation. Would be intersted to find out what problems you are having. Sounds like the multitude of septic tanks in a rural area combined with overdevelopment of the cul-de-sac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi, sorry, only home from work. We had an issue with our treatment system which was sorted out but please comment on this "It is considered that the proposed development would set an undesirable predecent for the development of random rural housing in an unserviced and rural area (although the mains water is on the roadside) which would be contrary to the objectives of the Meath County Development Plan in terms of channelling housing into designated development centres.

• Advertisement

Christ, this just gets better.

First of all the OP is having problems obtaining planning permission. No mention of what the problems are or even if permission has been refused or not.

Then (after 4 days) the OP says there was an issue with the treatment system which has now been sorted out. Great - permission granted. Or is it.

We are now being asked to comment on the standard planning reason used in a refusal.

This input by the OP is as clear as mud

Ginger83 wrote:
    Hi, sorry, only home from work. We had an issue with our treatment system which was sorted out but please comment on this "It is considered that the proposed development would set an undesirable predecent for the development of random rural housing in an unserviced and rural area Your planned house must be the first on this particular section of road.(although the mains water is on the roadside) which would be contrary to the objectives of the Meath County Development Plan in terms of channelling housing into designated development centres.

What they mean is that they do not want houses running along the side of minor roads (ribbon development) any more. They are encouriging developers to construct estates of closely spaced houses on the outskirts of towns and villages.

Also,

If there are more than a certain number of houses along a particular streach of road, the council are obliged to install services such as street lighting, grade seperated footpaths etc. By refusing to allow any more houses to be built, they can avoud the extra expence.

:cool: Muffler, Who rubbed you the wrong way? Relax for goodness sake!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Dont mind the muff he is always like that he is a mod after all!!!!!!!:D

eddiej wrote:
    Dont mind the muff he is always like that he is a mod after all!!!!!!!:D
    One of the many qualifications you need to become a mod ;)

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    One of the many qualifications you need to become a mod ;)

Kind of sums up these boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Kind of sums up these boards!

Touchee

Advertisement