Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

melanotan

• 21-09-2006 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

I heard about this a few years ago and thought it was a wonder drug - basically it stimulates the melanin in your skin so you get a tan without the sun. The last time I checked they were hoping to be able to sell this product by 2007; now they predict about 2011. I was so disappointed but then I came across a website that actually sells the stuff- I thought it was fake, but there is a whole community of "melanotanners" trying out this drug and some getting great results. There is a disclaimer on the site of course covering the companies ass.

the site

But it looks so tempting as I am so sickly pale and am sick of using fake tan. I actually dread the summer cos anyone I know gets a healthy colour and I just burn and look worse. And dont say "pale is interesting", it is if you have drew barrymores skin.
    But I can just see future headlines - "Melanotanners have mutants for children" or the like!
    So what do ppl think - is it worth the risk?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It's a risk that's for sure, but maybe not a huge one.

Two points to be noted though.

1)Most of these people are getting natural sunlight to help the tanning process.

2)It's injectable.You've gotta be pretty serious about having a tan to to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

I use 'Beta Gold ' tablets from the Tony Quinn store they are fantastic I took them beforre I went on hols and after a week I was so dark and did not get burnt at all. They are beta carotene so its basically vitamin A I also find they make my skin quite soft. I am still taking them now on a reduced dose to give myself a bit of color. I have v v dark skin in summer and rarely burn but in winter I go so pale it looks awful. A bottle of these guys is only 20 euro so I would def recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

I use 'Beta Gold ' tablets from the Tony Quinn store they are fantastic I took them beforre I went on hols and after a week I was so dark and did not get burnt at all. They are beta carotene so its basically vitamin A I also find they make my skin quite soft. I am still taking them now on a reduced dose to give myself a bit of color. I have v v dark skin in summer and rarely burn but in winter I go so pale it looks awful. A bottle of these guys is only 20 euro so I would def recommend it

I wonder would I look yellow if I took these considering I'm so pale? Do you know anyone who takes these that are fair skinned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

cinnamon wrote:
    I wonder would I look yellow if I took these considering I'm so pale? Do you know anyone who takes these that are fair skinned?

They dont work.Im pale and dont tan naturally and I used the tony quinn ones a couple of years back. They made absolutely no difference,a total rip off,was still totally pale when I cam back from a month in the US! My siter is a dermatologist and told me it was really dangerous of me to take these as anything that tries to stimulate my melatonin cells is bad because it might damage or over stimulate my melatonin cells and that leads to skin cancer. Just be careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

They worked so well on me I was away in cyprus for a week got a great color never burned (use suncream of course) and still have a lovely colour over a month later. the beta gold tablets contain beta carotene (vitamin A) and lutein so I would not understand the skin cancer claims in fact the tablets actually help your skin not too burn which is surely a good thing.
    OP if you are very pale they do have 2 brand of tablets the ones I took were for people who can tan but they have others for people that are v pale - i would advise go in and have a chat to the guy in tony quinns these tabs are a damn sight safer than getting burnt or getting injected with something

• Advertisement
Advertisement