Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tasty breakfast cereal

• 21-09-2006 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Im lookin for a healthy, tasty breakfast that isnt porridge. Preferably something that doesnt resemble horsefood in any way shape or form such as shredded wheat.
    Also, what is everybodys fav cereal??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jordans crunch with pecans. Looks like museli but is really more like junk food, which it seems you are looking for, lovely stuff.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Personally, I'm fond of Cheerios at the moment!

Otherwise, it's the usual Kelloggs Corn Flakes or Weetabix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Weetabix when I was a lad with hot milk. Right now, just good ol corn flakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Has anybody come across the 'Oatabix' cereals that are forever being advertised on telly, coz they're not in any of the stores in my neck of the woods.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yup, I've had the little ones with sultanas and apple, I think. They taste just like Weetabix, really, and have the same texture. But I'm in Edinburgh, so that might not be much help.

I really like the Kellogg's Honeycrunch Muesli. It's just sweet enough to make you forget that you're eating Muesli, but still healthy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭fourmations

kelloggs just right is really nice
    its a nice mix of healthy but not concrete chalk
    alpen is lovely too

kelloggs start was a long favorite but I find it too sweet now

ciao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rubadub wrote:
    Jordans crunch with pecans. Looks like museli but is really more like junk food, which it seems you are looking for, lovely stuff.

I'm pretty sure alot of that range is quite bad for you. I was reading yet another survey in some magazine awhile ago about the various cereals and whats in them. It may not be the crunch one you mention but some Jordans cereal was almost top of the list in terms of sugar and other nasties.

Do you dislike porridge for taste or just preconceived notions? I used to refuse to eat porridge simply because it looked awful and being healthy and all, it has to be horrible, didn't it?

Once I started eating it, it's my favourite cereal now. That, or if not available, weetabix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HavoK wrote:
    I'm pretty sure alot of that range is quite bad for you. I was reading yet another survey in some magazine awhile ago about the various cereals and whats in them. It may not be the crunch one you mention but some Jordans cereal was almost top of the list in terms of sugar and other nasties.
    Yep the whole range is pretty bad. I was saying it is junk food. I eat porridge myself and love it, esp. with some maple syrup (tiny bit). Sugar puffs are almost 50% sugar, more than many sweets.
    Most cereals, cereal bars, and "healthy bars" are just junk food. Smart advertisers know the majority of people are totally ignorant when it comes to reading nutrirional values. I had a mate who used to eat full packs of "go-ahead" biscuits, his answer "but the ad on the telly said they were healthy", as though he was eating a full head of lettuce or something:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 debly

I agree with havok. porridge ismy fave breakfast!!!! add maple syrup or honey. or cook it with apple juice and cinnamon instead of water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

How's about Honey Bunches of Oats? That's my favorite. ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Souness

Porridge with chopped nuts and honey:)

Anyone know a good muesli without sultanas or raisins, can't stand the things but love a good muesli. Spending 5mins in the morning removing tortured grapes is very tedious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have moved back onto Weetos now. :)

Weetabix all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Corn flakes FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Special K with different types of fruit, but fresh fruit that you have gotten yourself none red berries as they are gross! Another is muesli with yogurt, that's really good aswell, and healthy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

debly wrote:
    I agree with havok. porridge ismy fave breakfast!!!! add maple syrup or honey. or cook it with apple juice and cinnamon instead of water

Is there any way of making porridge without it being all stodgy and sitting in your belly like a rock when you finish a bowl? Cause I really like the taste but hate that feeling. I saw a chef on tv sieve it once to get rid of the starch, has anyone done that before? Any other suggestions for porridge recipes would be appreciated, now that I'm back on the poor student diet, porridge is definately a good start to the day and quite cheap too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

As a general rule: any Kellogs/Nestle cereal is full of sugar and/or processed carbs, including the 'healthy' ranges. Steer clear if you actually intended on eating something in morning.

Porridge + raisins + honey = delicious and nutrious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Don't have a favourite cereal but tend to go through phases of liking;
    • Corn flakes
    • Rice crispies
    • Ready brek
    • Weetabix
    • Shredded wheat
    • Frosties
    • Alpen
    This week I be mainly eating corn flakes.

Also is it just me or does anyone else love the 'powdered' remains at the bottom of packets of corn flakes/rice crispies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

i love weetaflakes with sliced banana.

Oatabix is tasty too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Trilla wrote:
    i love weetaflakes with sliced banana.

Oatabix is tasty too.

Where can ya get Oatabix?? :confused:

I've been to Tesco, Dunnes AND Sainsburys but none of them have it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i've seen em in Tesco, the one in the jervis centre...was gonna buy em but I didn't have enough money on me!! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Crunch Nut Clusters. Almost like desert. In fact, I'd say you could probably eat it with ice cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

coco pops and bananas- best ever!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

All Bran Oat Bakes - mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Lucky Charms ftw!!!

Aint had them in months though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

lucky charms!!!!
    now theres a cereal i love.
    btw, i found a shop in the city that sells lucky charms, but have yet to get some to try. i wonder if they wil b as nice as they are in the states, just because theyre not being eaten there???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

lucky charms!!!!

btw, i found a shop in the city that sells lucky charms, but have yet to get some to try.

Oh you did, did you? Keeping it all to yourself, are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Lucky Charms ftw!!!

Aint had them in months though

months?

you're saying that like you can still buy them here (can you?)

it's been like a decade since i had these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

i was considering not telling any1 and keeping it to myself but seeing as they are so nice they have to be shared.
    does any1 know the new food hall place on exchequer st, just across from the side entrance to dunnes? the mad one with all the crazy foods in it? well surprise surprise they have lucky charms. or at least they used to, its been a while since ive been there tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

if your looking for a healthy option that tastes nice (espec with a bit of fruit) weetoflakes (used to be called advantage) with a slice of banana is the one. Its really healthy and IMO the nicest cereal around.

Advertisement