Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing number?

• 22-09-2006 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had to change their mobile number before?

I have a pay-as-you-go phone and have used the same number for a few years now but I may need to get a new number and SIM for it shortly. I'm just wondering what I need to do aside from buying a new SIM.

Obviously I need to tell (certain) people in my phone book of the new number but what do you do for companies or people who I need to be able to contact me but that aren't in my phone book? Do you try and contact them all and let them know or do you keep your SIM in an old phone on silent in case they contact you or is there a better way?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Whay do you want to change your number?
    If you just want to upgrade your phone you can keep your number.
    If you want to change network you can keep your number too.
    There should be no need for you to change your number.
    If its just because your sim is old they will give you a new one for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you can set up a call divert from your old number to your new one but texts can't be diverted and you would have to keep the old phoe topped up because when you divert a call you pay for it too.

why do you want to change your number? are you getting prank called or getting charged by one of those ringtone companies? other than that there's no real reason to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Thanks guys,

I'd rather not get into it but long story short my number has been given to someone I'd really rather didn't have it. No hassle yet but I just want to be prepared in case I need to change it.

So I could divert calls which'd be grand but I'd rather it just be a clean switch so is there any way to get a list of companies that would have that as my contact number or is it just trying to remember them myself? I think I know the answer but just wondering.

no, i don't think there's any way to do that. you can get the network to block that person's number from contacting yours though if you know it

Oh really? That would be preferable. Thanks for all your help Commander Vimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

0utshined wrote:
    Oh really? That would be preferable. Thanks for all your help Commander Vimes.
    But only with a court order as far as I know.

Ah. Slightly less cool.

Hopefully I won't need to do anything and I'm sure I won't but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

i don't think you need a court order but sure ring them up and ask

meteor: 1905

o2: 1850 601 747 on speak easy, 1909 on bill

vodafone: 1850 20 87 87 on RTG, 1907 on bill

if you're on meteor and they tell you you can't do it, keep ringing to get different people or ask to speak to a supervisor. 99% of their customer care doesn't know their arse from their elbow

Thanks again Vimes.

I'm going to hold off for now but I've got this thread subbed in case I do need to use that advice.

Cheers

Thanks again Vimes.

I'm going to hold off for now but I've got this thread subbed in case I do need to use that advice.

Cheers

• Advertisement

i just rang meteor there and they said you have to fill in a form at a garda station and get a garda to stamp it but there's no court order involved

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I work for o2 and you cannot bar an indivual number unless at least the Gardai are involved, Im afraid

SDooM wrote:
    I work for o2 and you cannot bar an indivual number unless at least the Gardai are involved, Im afraid
    I know I've tried on O2 when I've had some troublesome numbers in the past - it's basically not possible without Guards/Courts or a number change.

As for Meteor, I can't say as I've not tried - did you get a contact name for this Vimes? Did you ring up and ask another agent the same question for confirmation?

ciaranfo wrote:
    I know I've tried on O2 when I've had some troublesome numbers in the past - it's basically not possible without Guards/Courts or a number change.

As for Meteor, I can't say as I've not tried - did you get a contact name for this Vimes? Did you ring up and ask another agent the same question for confirmation?

gards and courts are very different things. she said its simply a matter of filling in a form and getting it stamped. i did make the mistake of not ringing up five times but she sounded confident. i'll ring up voda now and ask them

i rang voda and the guy told me it can't be done. then i rang o2 and she told me that it can't be but i asked her to confirm because i thought maybe they just never told her because its something the gardai do and not herself

she asked someone and they said that once the gardai are involved, they can suspend the person's account but can't stop them ringing one number

so meteor say you fill in a form at the garda station and they can't contact you

o2 say they can suspend the person's account but can't stop them calling you in particular

vodafone say nothing can be done

take your pick :D

Yeah - when I was onto o2 before their argument was that you were, in effect, modifying the other persons account - and this can only be done by them :|

It's an odd system... I feel you should be able to block anyone from calling you, with perhaps an automated "you've been blacklisted" msg coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

What I would love is the ability to programme blacklisted numbers into your SIM, calls received from these would be auto-rejected with the additional option to reject calls from witheld numbers.

Nothing annoys me more than people who (video)call me with a private number and then dont fecking answer or ask to speak to someone. If someone rings me, and genuinely had the wrong number, no problem. But when they dont even have the guts to ask if you are who they are looking for and just rudely hang up, its irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

AFIK The presence feature on a lot of the new phones (nokia for sure)will do that..but the trouble is the newtworks aren't supporting it yet.....

From Nokia web site: When you update your presence information, it's sent to and managed by the Nokia Presence Server. The Presence Server then sends out updates to anyone who subscribes to your presence info (not just anyone can subscribe - they need your approval first), or releases the data to approved contacts who conduct a one-time fetch of your presence status. This is, of course, done over a network connection such as GPRS, EDGE or WCDMA.

Think having to get them to subscribe to your presence and a one time fetch will put the Ki bosh on it though...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 vanman

:mad: i am on vodafone,and for a long time now i have been getting crank calls to my mobile from people who (A) are pretending to be looking for someone and this person gave my number,or (B)just ring and stay silent,or (c) send me text messages of an explicid nature.
    i t has been going on for so long that i totally got fed up with it that i reported it to vodafone in my local vodafone store, they said to change my number,but as my fone is also used in connection with my work it is not possible,and told them so.
    they put me through to vodafone customer service in dundalk,co louth. the custyomer service lady said to report it to the gardai,get a written report from the garda and send it to them and they would moneter my fone calls,which i did,that was 2 months ago,and havent heard from vodafone since. so much for customer service.

Advertisement