Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony at the TGS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

well it hasnt started yet...

as eurogamer put it
    Four mont... Er, I mean, four minutes late. They're making frantic "we'd really like to start" gestures at all the muppets who are still standing up and milling around.
    So um. Nothing much really happening here, apart from J-pop elevator music progressively getting worse and worse. To fill in time, Eurogamer TV editor Johnny Minkley is regaling us with tales (and, sadly, photos) of the Nintendo-branded boxer shorts with "Know Your Mushrooms" in giant letters across the backside which he bought yesterday. Japan is truly a magical place

Oh wait somethings happening...

here we go
    here we go
    "PS3 - Creating the next generation of computer entertainment".

groan...cheesy.

RIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!!!!!!!
    First up - Ridge Racer 7. Super hi-def - very varied environments compared to previous games in the series, with lots of jungle and countryside environs as well as cities and other urban environments. All looks quite static, still, but definitely the best looking game in the series to date. Launch title.

wow, compared to last year (when the Ps3 was unvieled) the interest in the console has dropped alot. Has it really put that much of a sour taste here?

where's projectmayhem?

2:30

HOLY F*CK he is boring as sh*t. he's trying to sell the PS3 as some sort of alternative to PCs or something? combining entertainment and computers.

2:40

Oh god this is a disaster, he's been going for half an hour and he's prattling on about the ps3 as a network device and bringing up really little points (developers not needing to travel to locations for data) to sell it as a bonus for gamers. If this thing is saving devolpers money, I expect to see games going cheaper then the X360 ones.

But yeah he's being dull going on about little small points which he is making too technical and too much of a big deal.

He better improve this is going to be a disaster for sony.
    eurogamer wrote:
    If you're wondering when Ken is actually planning on talking about games or anything remotely concrete or relevant to gamers, developers or anyone else - so are we!

Oh F*ck me!

Sony is stirring the fanboy sh*t now.

A SONY VIRTUAL CONSOLE!

all PS1 and PS2 games AND...older consoles (mega drive etc.)

Gee all that talk about originality where did it go?

Its Steam and the Wii's virtual console rolled into one.
    Videos will also be available over the network too - starting with shorter movies. He seems to be implying that users will be able to upload and share their own movies, YouTube style, but the translation is a little ropey so it's hard to tell exactly.
    Sony will work with publishers to decide what titles to make available, and how to charge for them - pay to play models are possible, for example. They hope to massively expand the range of game content available over the network
    Emulators for old systems - Mega Drive and PC Engine titles can be downloaded over the network as well.
    The PS3 can emulate those titles over the network, and beginning with those with smaller volumes of data, those will be made available to users in that manner. He first talked about that possibility in 2000 when the PS2 launched - this year it will become a reality.

well that was a disaster.

only one thing came out of it:
    From IGN

7:22: A question on why HDMI only is in the high level version of the PS3 only. Kutaragi explained that if they put the HDMI in the lower version, they were worried that some would complain about having something they don't want. However, HDMI penetration has come faster than expected, Kutaragi says. He asks if people want HDMI in all models. Everyone in the audience say yes. He then confirms that all models, including the 20 gig version, will have an HDMI port.

HDMI in both models now!!

though I must question, being less then 2 months from launch, they can still make changes to the models. Have they still not actually started making the damn things?

Even as speech to encourage other companies and not gamers its a disaster, its all vague and too much focused on what will happen in the future for one half, and the other half is offering something which is allready on the table.

the best news of the night is this:
    But the response that won applause from the largely Japanese crowd concerned the inclusion of an HDMI port on the 20GB version of the console, and a repricing for Japan. The 20GB version will cost 49,980 yen (EUR 335 / GBP 225), down from 62,790 yen (EUR 421 / GBP 283), Kutaragi said.

but europe might get shafted again.
    In Europe, meanwhile, it's very expensive because... Er... Apparently it's expensive because the Euro exchange rate is so different to what it used to be, when it was one Euro to one Dollar, but European people don't notice that. This is also news to us! Ken drinks beer in Europe because wine is too expensive. It's good that he's focusing on the important stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So because Europeans don't realise that the euro is stronger than the dollar it's alright to shaft them on price? **** off Sony.

We may get shafted on price on almost everything be don't enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Retr0gamer wrote:
    So because Europeans don't realise that the euro is stronger than the dollar it's alright to shaft them on price? **** off Sony.

We may get shafted on price on almost everything be don't enjoy it.
    That's a disgrace!

That would put me off aver buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Vote with your feet, people :)

With regards to the the whole 'European thing', this is (very) old hat. First there was Nintendo... and they've eventually learned from their mistakes.

Looks like Sony doesn't like learning lessons from others, though.

'Think I'll wait for PS4, by the time of it my daughter will probably old enough to want one - obviously, that's if I do quite a botched job of teaching her about all things gaming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

First Sony rob the motion sensors and now the virtual console?

What a shower of w*nkers!

vibration, analogue sticks, shoulder buttons .. the list goes on, I don't think Nintendo will care too much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

BlitzKrieg wrote:

wow, compared to last year (when the Ps3 was unvieled) the interest in the console has dropped alot. Has it really put that much of a sour taste here?

where's projectmayhem?

:p

last year we didn't know much. this time i wasn't expecting anything so i'd rather go get drunk then sit watching a video feed or reading eurogamers update page thingy...
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    A SONY VIRTUAL CONSOLE!

all PS1 and PS2 games AND...older consoles (mega drive etc.)

that's not new news, is it? apart from the highly spiffy and original name.

anyway, ps1 games sound cool. i just want to play abes odyssey again ffs :(

however, my PSP is an uber emulation machine. and when the PS1 thing comes out for it, i'll be slobbering all over it like a dog. in other words, i can't see myself using ps3 or wii's "virtual console" systems at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

i can't see myself using ps3 or wii's "virtual console" systems at all
    Same here, except for ps1 and n64 that don't do quite so well on the pc emulators.

I've given up on emulators on my PSP, I just had too much bother with them. At least the Wii and PS3 ones should be relatively simple to use.

BTW i_am_dogboy, you get your name from The Farseer Trilogy?

Slurms wrote:
    I've given up on emulators on my PSP, I just had too much bother with them. At least the Wii and PS3 ones should be relatively simple to use.

i think the PSP emulators are as easy as pie. the downgrading might be difficult for some people, but once that's done it's just a matter of copy/paste and then get the right roms really

Oh I downgraded and all that, I just couldn't find an emulator that would run FFIII well :(

Though I did have a great time playing Dragon Warrior Monsters on a GB:C emu!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Slurms wrote:
    BTW i_am_dogboy, you get your name from The Farseer Trilogy?

fantastic books in my opinion, are the new ones any good??

to stay on topic, its good news teh HDMI is going to be on the cheaper version of the PS3 otherwise having a blue ray palyer was close to pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

sprinkles wrote:
    vibration, analogue sticks

nintendo did not out-right create these either, more of a apple created the gui from xerox then ms copies apple affair. Anascape is suing ms and nintendo for the rumble pack (sony backed out hence the lack of rumble in the SIXAXIS), the atari 5200 had an analogue stick back in the day and alot of other features such as shoulder buttons had been seen on other non-console controllers, but the SNES was the first to have one on a console.

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    nintendo did not out-right create these either, more of a apple created the gui from xerox then ms copies apple affair. Anascape is suing ms and nintendo for the rumble pack (sony backed out hence the lack of rumble in the SIXAXIS), the atari 5200 had an analogue stick back in the day and alot of other features such as shoulder buttons had been seen on other non-console controllers, but the SNES was the first to have one on a console.

hell didn't the atari 2600 have a wiimote style stick thing that used a sensor to detect motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ri_Nollaig wrote:

was the stick on the atari really an analogue stick or just a stick, one which worked the same as a d-pad does now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

hell didn't the atari 2600 have a wiimote style stick thing that used a sensor to detect motion?
    atari basicly wrote the book on home consoles so wouldnt surprise me.
    Vegeta wrote:
    was the stick on the atari really an analogue stick or just a stick, one which worked the same as a d-pad does now
    does it matter ? it would have still acted similar to an analogue stick does today. When windows came out it was a hell of alot more advanced then what xerox created but that still didnt make it orginal.

Am not been anti-nintendo or any console for that matter, im just getting sick of how when sony or ms come out with something all i hear is "oh ninty did that years ago..." which im sure they did but they had just copied someone who did it before them. Sonys SIXAXIS has a motion sensor, so what ? thats an idea that has been floating around for years, hell i had a crap ms one for my pc a few years back.

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    Sorry meant in the home console range as we know it today. In that case though surely Steam would be the forerunner to any virtual console, and there's probably a forerunner to that too....

• Advertisement
Advertisement