Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depression, meditation and exercise

• 22-09-2006 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i posted here a few weeks back about my current depression and i know now that there are no easy answers and drugs are the first thing that i've changed, i'm starting to excerise a little and i have noticed a slight change in my mood, for the better, but i'd also like to try some form of mediation, how do i go about this, i live in the north east, are their classes i should go to or what do i do? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

have alook in your local paper .. funnily enough i was looking to do yoga classes and just walked past teh health food shop in Plaoise and they were advertising there.
    Or in the local library

Alternatively look in the spirituality section on boards...there is a whole thread on meditation there which may be of most use to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

It's great that you've made the choice to take a more positive route than the Doctors, psychologists and drugs most people seem to be choosing :)

PM me for details on the meditation I do myself. It's pretty intensive, so before you dive into that, no harm in trying some yoga meditation or concentration classes first. Excercise is great for destroying depression too. Hard to believe it, but most people don't realise how true this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

5htp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Excerise and meditation will certainly help. Sorry I don't remember your original post, are you currently on meds, do you need them, you may or may not. Finally, I strongly suggest you consult a professional therapist or psychologist. IMO excerise and meditation will be of benefit to you, but if your depression is moderate to severe, seek professional advise. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Dagon wrote:
    It's great that you've made the choice to take a more positive route than the Doctors, psychologists and drugs most people seem to be choosing :)

Dagon the only positive step is doing something about it whether it be talking to someone, medication, meditation or excerise.

No one route is more positive than the other. Every one is different and responds to things differently.

OP, good luck with what you do. Try Salsa dancing, theres a few places around town it looks quite social and energetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Check out this website, it promotes a more holistic and natural based healing approach for depression & stress. Founded by Dr. Michael Corry & Aine Tubridy, authors of "Going Mad?" BTW has anyone read this book or their latest book??? For anyone experiencing workplace bullying or workplace stress, I'd strongly recommend reading their publications, in particular "Going Mad?"...

http://www.depressiondialogues.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It's grand to hear that you are benefiting from exercise. I was depressed in my teens, but not any more, and strenuous exercise, diet, and a switch to an occupation that was a better fit for me helped. Keep us posted on your progress, especially if meditation helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Are they your own opinions or taken straight off from some one else? Alias06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think this board is willing to accept alternative views and complimentary medicine. However, the operative word here is 'complimentary', see your doctor as well as any other treatment you seek. 'Alternative' medicine (only) is not good as it is pushing ideas that may have no scientific evidence to back up those ideas.

OP, I would be careful of proposal for 'mediation' as such, but sure you for something to reduce stress and anxiety. If someone is pushing a hard sell on you, consider walking away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Alias06,

To support your views on the extent of medication see

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3545684.stm

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭alias06

Ircoha,

I totally see your point so I deleted my posts. My post was factualy correct, however, I release my that some of my arguments were too strongy put and insentive to people who are on medication and seeking further advice.

I wanted to make people aware that the scientific case for taking medication is far from proven and before choosing this option people should investigate its effectiveness and implications, preferably by looking at some research that has not been carried out in-house in the pharmaceutical companies or funded by the same.

The books I recommend to do this are; Dr. Terry Lynch 'Beyond Prozac' and Dr. Breggin's 'Toxic Psychiatry'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Back on topic, give the Dublin Buddhist Centre a call.
    http://www.dublinbuddhistcentre.org/

They should have contacts in the North East. You can also buy CDs in most major record shops and holistic health shops.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

This is a great way to chill out and re-engerise.

The only thing is, meditating by yourself can be very difficult the first time. I didn't find it possible at all until I attended a few classes. Now I can manage most of the time on my own and I also use some CDs and MP3s at home.

You might want to try starting off with some guided relaxation/meditation MP3s if you can't afford the classes.
    I've used these in the past:
    http://www.meditainment.com/free/

http://www.calming.org/relaxation.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Thanks for that link to depression dialogues. Here is an interesting piece:

"Depression is an emotion, just like fear, anger or love. It is the imprint felt after a stressful or traumatic experience. Depression is natural. It represents a legitimate response to life's difficulties. It is not a disease process reflecting a change in brain chemistry, disconnected from individuality, race, colour, creed, upbringing, belief systems, environments, relationships, socio-economic factors, life events and coping skills. To isolate a depressed, suffering human being from their thoughts, from their behaviours, and from the workings of their world is a tragedy beyond words, as it reduces them, and the rest of us, to a chemical soup encapsulated in skin. In this soup there is no place for uniqueness, imagination, will, acceptance, compassion, love, peace, creativity, personal freedom and the unfathomable depths of the human spirit. The sick brain model of depression is a hideous and terrifying concept, as it turns us into cogs in a machine where, if we find the going difficult and want to disengage, we are prescribed an emotional painkiller and advised to carry on regardless. This is beyond Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Chemically-induced slavery has arrived." Michael Corry M.D.

As I've said, it's a pity most people on here seem to be very enthusiastic about running to "a professional" at the first hint of depression.

Advertisement