Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wakeing up every two hours

• 22-09-2006 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey,

Hopefully someone will have a suggestion to help me. Most nights I go to sleep I wake up every two hours. Sometimes its good cause you know youve got more sleep to come. But most times its annoying. My mothers supposed to be the same. I used to sleep straight through. Man I dont even know what thats like anymore.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Need more details about you, but here's guessing with what little you gave us... Perhaps your sleeping behaviour could be affected by:

1. Diet? The types of foods and drink? Sugars? Caffeine? Too much liquids or the opposite (dehydration)?

2. Sleep cycle? Do you normally retire at the same time, or do you mix up your routine during a 7 day week? Mixing it up can be a source of problems.

3. Stress? Job or lack of a job stress? School/university stress? g/f or b/f or spouse stress? Family related stress? If you are still growing, physical development stress? Other sources?

4. Exercise? Do you have a daily/weekly exercise routine? Fitness is not only important to our health, but also can help you sleep after a good workout.

Oh, just cause you mam had the same problem sleeping, does not mean that you did not learn them from her (i.e., it could be a learned lifestyle rather than heredity, but who knows?). Just guessing on very limited info.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 waximus

Hey,

I think I might know why, I smoke a lot and when I wake up I have a cigarette. Its a very bad habbit I have developed. Maybe my body needs the nicotine every two hours and thats why I wake up. Ive often thought of using a patch at night but your not supposed to use them as well as smoking. Ok the obvious answer is to give up smoking all together but I have tried and failed so many times. Suppose Il just have to try again.

Does anybody know of any Nicotine replacement therapy that you only use at night?

The funny thing about this is my father smokes as much as me and he sleeps straight through.

And I suppose theres a lack of a job at the moment so thats not helping. Im trying to change career, I was a sales rep but the corporate life doesnt appeal to me anymore.

I do excercise though, swim three times a week and walk my dog every other day.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

waximus wrote:
    Does anybody know of any Nicotine replacement therapy that you only use at night?
    Check out the sticky on quitting smoking at the top of the Personal Issues forum under Soc.
    waximus wrote:
    And I suppose theres a lack of a job at the moment so thats not helping.
    One of the top sources of stress according to some research I had read.

Oh, welcome to the Sleeping & Dreaming forum. I hang out here a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This post is not a joke - this is serious.

Do you snore badly? Do you wake up sometimes sweating or with your heart racing? Do you wake up breathing rapidly like you have just done the 100 meters? Are you seriously tired during the day?

I had all of that and have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. The airway closes while you are asleep and suffocates you. Its a long shot but it affects people and they dont know it. I was tested with a little gizmo that monitors my breathing and it showed i stopped breathing while asleep which wakes me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 waximus

Hi Super,

You could be onto something cause I started having a bad sleep pattern at nearly the same time as I was given an inhaler by the doc.

Ill check it out and let you know.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement